[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

QB/WR Combo's

tonyr0802

What do you guys think about having a QB and WR from the same team on your team? I know it's a double edged sword, feast or famine kind of strategy. But if you could land Bulger&Holt,or Manning&Harrison or Wayne - would you do it?

My draft is based on a balanced roster and best available player. That said, I will take them if they fall to me at the appropriate spots but would not actively pursue teammates just because they are teammates.

My draft is based on a balanced roster and best available player.  That said, I will take them if they fall to me at the appropriate spots but would not actively pursue teammates just because they are teammates.

889887[/snapback]

So- if Holt fell to you at 2.12/3.1 and then you had your choice of Bulger or Green at 4.24/5.1 which would you take?

So- if Holt fell to you at 2.12/3.1 and then you had your choice of Bulger or Green at 4.24/5.1 which would you take?

890109[/snapback]

BS is right, no point targeting the combo as there is no difference. In FF< points are points no matter where they come from, there is no such ting as a "double touchdown" etc., but it is fun to get extra trade value out of a WR from the FF owner wit hhis QB that believes in that.

As to your question, as I have Bulger rated ahead of Green right now, I take Bulger.

I like 'em for the fun factor, but I think they are also useful in leagues that pay out weekly money to the highest-scoring teams. But I think that only applies if you have a top WR/QB combo, and there's the rub.

I think the trick is a) not to base your draft strategy on it -- because you'll end up reaching the whole draft; :D look at less obvious combos that don't have to be taken at the start of the draft.

For instance, I think the price is too high for getting a Manning/Harrison combo, or McNabb/TO (if he plays). Anything that causes you to spend two of your first three draft picks on a QB/WR is just gonna mess up the rest of your draft, where you'll be chasing fourth-tier RBs and third-tier WRs the rest of the way.

Holt and Bulger could be a possibility, if they fell to you -- I won a league a couple years ago on that combo (the year that Kurt played only the first game, and Bulger could be picked up late in a draft). I think Moss and Collins could be another one. I think the most lethal one this year that you may be able to get for a song is CJ/Palmer.

Everyone is right about the "statistics" of the thing, but when you can watch one game and just see your QB throwing a deep TD pass to your WR, it's truly one of the greatest instant thrills you can get in fantasy football, imho. And, as some people forget, it is fantasy football ...

Holt and Bulger could be a possibility, if they fell to you -- I I think the most lethal one this year that you may be able to get for a song is CJ/Palmer.

890394[/snapback]

I hadn't even though about CJ/Palmer- good point. I'm drafting #1 so I'm thinking that the 24/25 could land me top tier wr's (Holt/CJ/Harrison), then on the next 48/49 take a second tier qb - which could realistically be Bulger. I don't think I'd reach at Palmer with these picks, but maybe. Need to research him and his ADP now....

At any rate, without reaching for this it could come to me. Just wanted to see the opinions of the risk it invloves.

I hadn't even though about CJ/Palmer- good point. I'm drafting #1 so I'm thinking that the 24/25 could land me top tier wr's (Holt/CJ/Harrison), then on the next 48/49 take a second tier qb - which could realistically be Bulger. I don't think I'd reach at Palmer with these picks, but maybe. Need to research him and his ADP now....

890581[/snapback]

Maybe at 24/25 take a good RB and then later get Trent Green and Eddie Kennison later. I think Kennison seems to be quietly productive and a good combo with Trent Green, although if you're in a league where you only start 2 WRs Kennison might be one of the lower tier WRs but at least you could use your early picks to get some good RBs and maybe a top TE along with Trent Green and then get Kennison later.

BS is right, no point targeting the combo as there is no difference.

890137[/snapback]

I partly disagree. Assuming all players stay healty, you're right. But if Tory Holt gets hurt, that's going to impact Bulger's passing stats a lot more than it's going to hurt Green's. So while I agree that are no additional points to be gained from having a QB and WR from the same team, you are subjecting yourself to added injury risk due to one player's potential injury-related reprecussions on another player from the same team.

Thus, I never chase "the hook up." However, I won't avoid it, either, if the player(s) I'm considering are the best value available on a stand alone basis.