[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Scoring system

whitem0nkey

So this is the first year ill be running a league, and below is the scoring system I plan on using, I think it seems fair, please let me know if I miss something or if I should adjust anything….. Thanks for your input.

SCORING

Passing

TD Pass 6

Interceptions Thrown -1

2pt Passing Conversion 2

Every 5 passing yards 0.3

Rushing

TD Rush 6

2pt Rushing Conversion 2

Every 1 rushing yard 0.1

Receiving

TD Reception 6

2pt Receiving Conversion 2

Every 1 receiving yards 0.1

Each reception 1

Offensive Players

Kickoff Return TD 6

Punt Return TD 6

Fumble Recovered for TD 6

Every 1 kickoff return yards 0.1

Kicking

Each PAT Made 1

FG Made (0-39 yards) 3

FG Made (40-49 yards) 3

FG Made (50+ yards) 3

Team Defense and Special Teams

Interception Return TD 6

Fumble Return TD 6

Kickoff Return TD 6

Punt Return TD 6

Blocked Punt or FG return for TD 6

Each Interception 2

Each Fumble Recovered 2

Each Safety 2

Each Sack 0.5

Less than 100 total yards allowed 15

100-199 total yards allowed 10

200-299 total yards allowed 5

400-449 total yards allowed -5

450-499 total yards allowed -10

500-549 total yards allowed -15

550+ total yards allowed -15

Edited by whitem0nkey

Do you give negative points for fumbles lost and missed FG's and PAT's?

I also usually have all turnovers with the same point values (in terms of + and - points) ... I put INT's by the D as +2 and INT's thrown -2 .. same thing with fumbles and recoverd fumbles be a D

Edited by max

personally I always had sacks as 1pt per sack but that is all up to you. The nice thing about scoring systems is that no matter what you select all teams in the league use the same one. I would run this by the owners in your league as well to get their input.

For receptions you could just do bonus ponts for players that get 5 receptions and then more bonus points for 10 receptions as well. Again this is just personal preference.

Here is an example (for the bonus points I am just tossing out some figures)

If you lower it to .5 per reception a player that gets 5 receptions would get 2.5 points for that. You could throw in a 2.5 bonus for reaching the 5 rec plateau. That would give a wr that has 5 rec in a game 5 pts for his receptions.

A player with 10 receptions in a game would get 5 pts for the per reception points. If you had a 10 reception bonus of 5 points that would give this player 10 pts for his receptions that game.

Doing it this way ends up being the exact same in the examples above as 1 pt per reception.

Where it differs is if someone gets 9 receptions in a game for example. That player would get 4.5 reception points + the 2.5 bonus for reaching 5 receptions in a game = 7 total reception points for that player.

I like to reward players for hitting plateaus statistically.

Do you give negative points for fumbles lost and missed FG's and PAT's?

I also usually have all turnovers with the same point values (in terms of + and - points) ... I put INT's by the D as +2 and INT's thrown -2 .. same thing with fumbles and recoverd fumbles be a D

897094[/snapback]

I don't like negative points for missed FG's or PATs.

Why should a missed FG hurt your fantasy team? It doesn't subtract from the respective NFL team's score. It's just a missed kick.

By subtracting for missed kicks, your punishing the kicker for bad snaps, bad holds, and foolish coaching decisions. If, in the last few seconds of the half, a coach calls the kicking team out for a 70 yarder - you're going to punish the kicker for misssing that kick? Doesn't make sense.

As far as PATs, if you're going to subtract from your kicker for missing a PAT - then you must subtract accordingly from your QB, RB, receiver, etc. for failing to convert on a 2-point conversion.

If you want to give negative points for fumbles or INTs, that's one thing. To give negative points for anything a kicker does is justy silly.

I don't like negative points for missed FG's or PATs.

Why should a missed FG hurt your fantasy team?  It doesn't subtract from the respective NFL team's score.  It's just a missed kick.

By subtracting for missed kicks, your punishing the kicker for bad snaps, bad holds, and foolish coaching decisions.  If, in the last few seconds of the half, a coach calls the kicking team out for a 70 yarder - you're going to punish the kicker for misssing that kick?  Doesn't make sense.

As far as PATs, if you're going to subtract from your kicker for missing a PAT - then you must subtract accordingly from your QB, RB, receiver, etc. for failing to convert on a 2-point conversion.

If you want to give negative points for fumbles or INTs, that's one thing.  To give negative points for anything a kicker does is justy silly.

897476[/snapback]

You certainly have some valid points there. I see what you are saying here. That would be like giving a WR negative points for a dropped pass.

Missed FG's do hurt an NFL team, they are like turnovers.

897492[/snapback]

So do dropped passes and missed blocks. You giving negative points for those?

Edited by Vet

I agree with you, Vet, about missed PATs and field goal points..

i personaly also dont like giving a kickers more points for kick over 40 yards, ect....

i gave the points per reception to the WR because they are usually hit or miss, and i wanted to add some consistancy,

Edited by whitem0nkey

I agree with you missed pat and field goal point..

i personaly also dont like giving a kickers more points for kick over 40 yards, ect....

i gave the points per reception to the WR because they are usually hit or miss, and i wanted to add some consistancy,

897509[/snapback]

I don't mind giving the kicker extra points for a long FG. But, these days, 40 yards is too short to award extra points. In my opinion, 45 is a MINIMUM to award extra points and 48-50 yards should probably the threshold for enhanced scoring.

Missed FG's do hurt an NFL team, they are like turnovers.

897492[/snapback]

For missed blocks, dropped passes, etc. You get another play. You may have to punt, but at least you get to advance the ball down the field. For missed FG's, you turnover ball with no chance to advance it. You even lose the 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage back to where the kick is spotted.