[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Preseason college rankings again..........

theeohiostate

I think the polls are more useless than the BCS, if the polls were to form later in the season, voters could make better choices.

2003 USC snubbed due to pre season polls.

2004 Auburn snubbed for the same reason.

If the could let teams play for a bit, we'd see better end results, even in the current pitiful system.

2003 USC was snubbed because of the BCS. They were #1 in both polls going into bowl season.

2004 3 undefeated teams, Auburn looked average against Tenn and OU crushed Colorado the final game. OU also led most of the computers, so again the BCS created the mess.

This year there will not be 3 undefeated teams, and may not be any, so it it could happen again.

2003 USC was snubbed because of the BCS.  They were #1 in both polls going into bowl season.

2004 3 undefeated teams, Auburn looked average against Tenn and OU crushed Colorado the final game.  OU also led most of the computers, so again the BCS created the mess.

This year there will not be 3 undefeated teams, and may not be any, so it it could happen again.

980554[/snapback]

Tennessee > Colorado by a LONG shot... Auburn played in a tougher conference. That being said, OU did take care of business and deserved to be there as much as USC or Auburn. Make no mistake about it, Auburn got screwed simply because they were ranked lower at the beginning of the season. Imagine if they were ranked like at #5 at teh beginning, and beat LSU and Tennessee, and all teh sudden the pollsters would be like, Oklahoma? Who did they beat? Texas? Thats it. The rest of there schedule was junk. A & M didnt deserve to share the same field as Tennessee, and Oklahoma State got rocked by Ohio State, a 4th place Big Ten Team (and we all know how bad THAT conference is). Preseason polls screwed Auburn big time last year.

The polls are fine, they give us all something to whine about.  They create enthusiasm, hype, sell tickets, etc...  The BCS is better than where we were 5 years ago.  It is not perfect but without a playoff, it will have to do.

980716[/snapback]

IN all honesty, I think the system before the BCS was just as good. The whole point of teh BCS was to have one national champion. Well we saw in 2003, it couldnt even do that. They've blundered up how many national championship games now? 2000, 2001, 2003, and some argue 2004. The last non BCS season was 1997, which was a split title. That was the only reason (along with making a sh|tload of money for ABC, and all the sponsors) for the BCS. The only TRUE national champion, is through a playoff.

Well if conference strength is your reasoning, then maybe USC didnt deserve to be there. I mean the only decent team they faced was Cal, and Texas Tech the 4th best team in the Big 12 lit them up like an Xmas tree. I think its a moot point trying to argue strength of conference. UT and OU have been the class of the Big 12 for yrs. LSU, Auburn, FLA, GA and Tenn the last several in the SEC, Michigan and Ohio St in the Big 10, USC in the Pac 10, Miami, Va Tech, and FLa St in the ACC. Outside of those, teams any team is due a solid yr, but yr in yr out its those 13 teams are going to decide the NC.

Edited by Clark Griswold

Not conference strength, team strength. You're right, USC took that equation out. But I'm sorry, Texas A & m, and Oklahoma State were both very overrated out of the Big 12 last year, and Oklahoma got credit for beating them, and then they both go and get killed in bowl play. Where as Auburn, beat teams that improved over the course of the year. As I said, if they had been ranked #5 at the beginning, I firmly believe they would have overtaken the sooners in the polls. I'm not saying Auburn deserved to go over Oklahoma or vice versa, because Oklahoma did win there conference title, (2003 they didn't and didn't deserve to sniff any kind of championship game). I am saying, that preseason rankings were the reason Auburn didn't make it and Oklahoma did. If you remember, Auburn had caught Oklahoma in the polls at the end, but didn't have enough games left to overtake them, while Oklahoma was finishing up with patsies like Baylor, and Colorado, Auburn was facing Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee.

Are you really that big of a f'ing moran?  :D

OSU losing to the #2 ranked team in the country with 2 minutes left in the game make them over rated

Note to self:  "ignore this ignorant ass! "

982448[/snapback]

OSU losing at home, at night with 3 gift turnovers deep in Texas territory, and they couldnt capitalize, not once, not twice, not even 3 times in the red zone to punch it in. There should have been another TD by Texas at the end, that was obvious, why wasnt it reviewed and given to the Horns. Take away the 9 pts off those Turnovers, and add 7 more to Texas score, and its not nearly as close as the final score appears. So yes, OSU is over-rated. There QBs are terrible outside of 1 TD pass, 144 total passing yds, and Ginn was hyped to be this difference maker stud, what did Texas allow him to do. 2 catches for 9 yds and 1 rush for -2 yds. The OSU savior accounted for 7 total yds of offense. Tell me he isnt over-rated. OSU only had 255 yds total in this game. Young had more than that just passing 270 yds, not counting his 76 yds on the ground. The cirumstances kept this game close, and a good team would have beat Texas with 6 mins left in Texas territory, with a 6 pt lead. OSU failed over and over to put this game away, because they couldnt. They were given opportunity after opportunity to win, but when Texas needed a TD to win the game, they drove straight down the field to get one. When Texas needed a stop to end the game, they forced a turnover and scored, regardless if the officials missed it or not, so OSU was given yet another chance and Texas sacked Smith in the endzone for a safety. I was wrong about texas before, they do deserve to be ranked that highly. But OSU is not a top 5 team, at home, let alone on a neutral field or God forbid someone elses home field. That is for sure. So that #4 ranking was too high, thus they are over-rated. Spin it anyway you want, but those are the facts.

OSU losing at home, at night with 3 gift turnovers deep in Texas territory, and they couldnt capitalize, not once, not twice, not even 3 times in the red zone to punch it in.  There should have been another TD by Texas at the end, that was obvious, why wasnt it reviewed and given to the Horns.  Take away the 9 pts off those Turnovers,  and add 7 more to Texas score, and its not nearly as close as the final score appears.  So yes, OSU is over-rated.  There QBs are terrible outside of 1 TD pass, 144 total passing yds, and Ginn was hyped to be this difference maker stud,  what did Texas allow him to do. 2 catches for 9 yds and 1 rush for -2 yds.  The OSU savior accounted for 7 total yds of offense.  Tell me he isnt over-rated. OSU only had 255 yds total in this game.  Young had more than that just passing 270 yds, not counting his 76 yds on the ground.  The cirumstances kept this game close, and a good team would have beat Texas with 6 mins left in Texas territory, with a 6 pt lead.  OSU failed over and over to put this game away, because they couldnt.  They were given opportunity after opportunity to win, but when Texas needed a TD to win the game, they drove straight down the field to get one.  When Texas needed a stop to end the game, they forced a turnover and scored, regardless if the officials missed it or not, so OSU was given yet another chance and Texas sacked Smith in the endzone for a safety.  I was wrong about texas before, they do deserve to be ranked that highly.  But OSU is not a top 5 team, at home, let alone on a neutral field or God forbid someone elses home field.  That is for sure. So that #4 ranking was too high, thus they are over-rated.  Spin it anyway you want, but those are the facts.

982569[/snapback]

VERY well said......

And BTW why in hell didnt they review that TD at the end??? And why in the hell didnt the 250+ pounder just run over the itty bitty DB???

OSU losing at home, at night with 3 gift turnovers deep in Texas territory, and they couldnt capitalize, not once, not twice, not even 3 times in the red zone to punch it in.  There should have been another TD by Texas at the end, that was obvious, why wasnt it reviewed and given to the Horns.  Take away the 9 pts off those Turnovers,  and add 7 more to Texas score, and its not nearly as close as the final score appears.  So yes, OSU is over-rated.  There QBs are terrible outside of 1 TD pass, 144 total passing yds, and Ginn was hyped to be this difference maker stud,  what did Texas allow him to do. 2 catches for 9 yds and 1 rush for -2 yds.  The OSU savior accounted for 7 total yds of offense.  Tell me he isnt over-rated. OSU only had 255 yds total in this game.  Young had more than that just passing 270 yds, not counting his 76 yds on the ground.  The cirumstances kept this game close, and a good team would have beat Texas with 6 mins left in Texas territory, with a 6 pt lead.  OSU failed over and over to put this game away, because they couldnt.  They were given opportunity after opportunity to win, but when Texas needed a TD to win the game, they drove straight down the field to get one.  When Texas needed a stop to end the game, they forced a turnover and scored, regardless if the officials missed it or not, so OSU was given yet another chance and Texas sacked Smith in the endzone for a safety.  I was wrong about texas before, they do deserve to be ranked that highly.  But OSU is not a top 5 team, at home, let alone on a neutral field or God forbid someone elses home field.  That is for sure. So that #4 ranking was too high, thus they are over-rated.  Spin it anyway you want, but those are the facts.

982569[/snapback]

Turnovers are FORCED. Ohio State forced those turnovers, as the OSU linebackers lived up to there hype all night long. Vince Young was just flat out great. Ohio State wasn't able to punch it in, and got 3 fg's. The game was what it was. Sorry, but if you think the Jim Tressell playcalling was superb, and coulnd't have possiblly been better, you're out of your mind. I think it could've been better in the red zone personally, but we'll never know. Congratulations to the Horns on a GREAT non conference win on the road. Vince Young is the real deal.

Lets just agree to disagree. One turnover was a poor execution between QB and RB, the other was Young refusing to take a sack, and trying to throw the ball in the middle of the field. Pretty ill advised. As far as the Tressel playcalling, I think it was a joke. But then again, I think he is a joke of a coach. OSU could get a quality man to be its coach and not have to deal with the shannigans that come with Jim Tressel. I dont hate OSU, just dislike them because of their coach.

Fair enough. I will say this though. Give Vince Young the darn heisman right now. He deserves it. Other than that opening drive, Ohio State contained him rushing, forcing him to try to get it done through the air, which they contained that too, until that last drive too. But, great players make those kinds of plays, and adjust. I think it will take a remarkable season to take teh heisman away from Leinart, but if I were voting right now, I'd put Young #1.

Lets just agree to disagree.  One turnover was a poor execution between QB and RB, the other was Young refusing to take a sack, and trying to throw the ball in the middle of the field. Pretty ill advised. As far as the Tressel playcalling, I think it was a joke.  But then again, I think he is a joke of a coach.  OSU could get a quality man to be its coach and not have to deal with the shannigans that come with Jim Tressel.  I dont hate OSU, just dislike them because of their coach.

983788[/snapback]

I guess refusing to take a sack has nothing to do with the defense? :D C'mon dude, I understand being a hater. I HATE Michigan. But at least I give them credit when they play well. This was one of the most exciting college games I have seen in the last couple years. It was only fitting for it to come down to the last few minutes to decide the game. Great game from both teams, if Texas beats OU this year, I think they just may win it all.