[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mayo on hot dogs!

georgemoe

A big Canadian tradition is cole slaw on dogs, and it's derned good. I still put mustard on it, but a good home made slaw (hand cut cabbage) on a dog is great. Just plain mayo doesn;t tickle my taste buds though.

1178859[/snapback]

slaw on a dog's awesome. I think I listed it as one of my toppings in the Hot Dog thread...

I take a bag of the fresh kraut from the produce section at the store, rinse it and simmer it on the stove with sauteed chopped apples and two dark beers. Add a teaspoon of sugar and season to taste with salt and pepper. You can sautee onions with the apples also and add to the mix. This kraut is awesome with brats and beer.

I take a bag of the fresh kraut from the produce section at the store, rinse it and simmer it on the stove with sauteed chopped apples and two dark beers.  Add a teaspoon of sugar and season to taste with salt and pepper.  You can sautee onions with the apples also and add to the mix.  This kraut is awesome with brats and beer.

1189537[/snapback]

Sounds like a classic "sweet" german kraut there, swamp. Had some of that style in Germany along with several unidentifiable tube steaks. Quite tastey!

PS: I take it this is off topic, and has nothing to do with putting mayo on a dog....

Edited by Rovers

Here's how I usually do my brats:

3 cups thinly sliced yellow onions

1 (12-ounce) bottle amber beer

3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds

1/2 teaspoon celery seed

1 fresh bay leaf

A few grinds black pepper

6 uncooked bratwurst

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

2 tablespoons softened butter

6 potato rolls

Prepare a charcoal grill.

Combine the onions, beer, vinegar, salt, mustard seeds, celery seed, bay leaf, and black pepper in a 4-quart saucepan, bring to a simmer, and simmer gently over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.

Add the bratwurst and simmer gently until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.

Remove the bratwurst and set aside. Strain the poaching liquid reserving the onions. Let cool. Remove the bay leaf, add crushed red pepper, olive oil, and chopped fresh parsley. Set aside to use as a relish.

Place the bratwurst on the grill and cook over medium-high until charred. Butter the rolls and toast on the grill just before serving.

Place here in Wilmington serves a hotdog called a St Johns Dog. At first it truly sounded like the grossest combo for a hotdog that I had personaly ever heard of, well on a trip to....the darnn name escapes me...this hotdog place(fancy place-so called gourmet dogs), my father in law tried one, said it was a "truly fabulous hotdog". So, here is the St. John's Dog.

St. John's Dog

Dog must be grilled

Light mayo or Miracle Whip

Creamy or Chunky Peanut Butter

Sautaed Onions

Just try it-trust me, it was F'ing outstanding. I thought I'd take one bite to get my father in law to quit recommending it, but after one bite changed my mind. It's truly peculiar fixings, but it is very good. Peace PD.