[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL to no longer allow Local News cameras

Savage Beatings

I just read that the NFL has decided that it will no longer allow local news cameras on the sidelines, because they are concerned that there could be footage that is not in their control getting onto the internet.

In essence they admitted that this is just a licensing concern. They are basically flexing their muscles to make sure that all control rests with them. But it's at the expense of alienating all local television news stations. Not that they give a rip.

But that's what scares me... if they are willing to totally blow off all local news coverage for licensing reasons, do you think they would also be just as willing to blow off all non-NFL Fantasy Football sites for licensing reasons as well?

I just read that the NFL has decided that it will no longer allow local news cameras on the sidelines, because they are concerned that there could be footage that is not in their control getting onto the internet.

In essence they admitted that this is just a licensing concern.  They are basically flexing their muscles to make sure that all control rests with them.  But it's at the expense of alienating all local television news stations.  Not that they give a rip.

But that's what scares me... if they are willing to totally blow off all local news coverage for licensing reasons, do you think they would also be just as willing to blow off all non-NFL Fantasy Football sites for licensing reasons as well?

1397402[/snapback]

It is a little surprising given the old "hand that feeds you" thing, but the NFL is VERY adamant about images - live film, film clips or even photographs - being under their control. The same goes for the NFLPA. This is why there is rarely any photos on our or any other site. Unless you paid for them via an approved source (like Getty Images), the NFL does not want anyone to use them. Particularly for direct commercial gain (think selling photos or film clips).

Coming down on local TV stations is a new level of protection and concern. But what The Huddle does - information, opinion and advice - falls outside of copyright/publicity issues. I am both surprised and questioning the intent behind the new direction, but it does not directly affect us. We do not need to be "licensed" as long as we stay out of protected areas of the NFL/NFLPA. That is one reason why our involvement in the public fantasy contest arena two years ago ceased.

That is a shame, often some of the best stuff comes right into your living room via local affiliates of which I am employed by one, in this area of work.

It is also the best way to get clean highlights, no banners, squeezes, or tickers.

I assume the locals will still have acess to post game stuff, which is where they shine, with sound and one on ones.

This could also be a pre-cursor to a news service of clean highlights, pay of course, for local stations to subscribe to.

I assume the locals will still have acess to post game stuff, which is where they shine, with sound and one on ones.

1398108[/snapback]

Comments from the Sports directors of the local affiliates here in the Twin Cities assumed the same thing... that they would still eb able to shoot pre- and post-game interviews. Just no more sideline footage, or highlights.

The reason for this is that the Internet contracts with AOL and CBS Sportsline are about to expire. The NFL can see a cash cow at fifty miles, so they are clearing the decks to ensure they can sell exclusive Internet rights to the highest bidder and you can be sure that income stream is going to go through the roof compared to what it is now.

From the Green Bay Press Gazette

"No outside TV cameras will be allowed from the start of a game to the end, including in the press box.

“Only the rights holder and NFL Films will have the ability to shoot footage once the game is in progress,” Palansky said. “Both these outlets will make footage available to local and other national stations, and standard usage rights will remain.”

No new limits have been placed on still cameras, such as those used by newspapers and magazines.

The vote affects the four Green Bay TV stations that cover the Packers with two cameras each, plus numerous other stations around the state.

General managers at three Green Bay stations were disappointed or cautious about the vote.

“It makes us completely reliant on the network coverage,” said Don Carmichael of WBAY, Channel 2, “We won’t be able to shoot our own stuff at all.”

Local stations use their footage for newscasts as well as Packers-related shows.

R. Perry Kidder of WFRV, Channel 5, was wary of commenting until speaking with John Jones, Packers executive vice president, who attended the meeting.

“I’ll be a lot smarter after I talk to him at the beginning of next week,” Kidder said. “It’s always been my experience that rules are one thing, interpretation of rules are another.”

WFRV produces “The Mike McCarthy Show” for broadcast throughout the state. Stations around the country carry such coach’s shows, as well as other types of team shows.

“There’s some pretty dramatic impact on us,” said Jay Zollar of WLUK, Channel 11, which broadcasts the bulk of Packers games by way of Fox. “When we produce the Donald Driver show, for example, we may be down on the sidelines during the game specifically shooting Donald doing some things that we use in our shows.”

Zollar said he is “surprised and disappointed” by the vote.

Still allowed will be pregame, postgame, locker room and press conference access, Palansky said.

“Protecting the NFL’s intellectual property was the impetus,” he said.

It’s consistent with policies of Major League Baseball, the NCAA and the NHL, he said.

“I feel bad for the fans,” Zollar said. “There’s a lot of stuff that you would normally see, like Coach Sherman grabbing a face mask of somebody or somebody walking off that you get to see as part of the news, you get to see as part of special shows,” Zollar said. “If the NFL doesn’t want you to see it, you won’t.”

There will be sameness to coverage, “no different angle, no closer,” Carmichael said.

“The NFL is very dictatorial,” he said. “They don’t take much input. They just make decisions willy-nilly without having people who are affected have very much input. I guess it’s their business, so they can run it any way they want.”

Each Green Bay TV station had 2 cameras covering every game. That has to be unique.

Edited by Randall

In essence they admitted that this is just a licensing concern.  They are basically flexing their muscles to make sure that all control rests with them.  But it's at the expense of alienating all local television news stations.  Not that they give a rip.

1397402[/snapback]

:D