[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brian Calhoun

kryptonite

Which doesn't say much about him.

1465754[/snapback]

Well, I can't disagree, but you have to look at the team as a whole. If the team quit, then anyone could get dragged down with it. I think you have to wait and see what kind of effort he puts in under the new coaching staff.

The reality was that he was hurt quite a bit last year. Mooch would also inexplicably put in Pinner and Bryson for him as well even when he wasn't hurt. He never could get in the groove of the game. He did not look like he did in '04 but there were extenuating circumstances including injuries, Mooch's brain damage and the fact that the Lions sucked.

I don't think it was a matter of him not caring, though.

I look at it real simply...

if KJ can't get the ball rolling this year and Calhoun is in there making plays when he gets the chance...I think they'll pull KJ and name Calhoun the starter...

KJ has to get it going in his 3rd season....most RB's are hitting their prime at this point in their career...

QB's take 3-4 years unless they are special....

RB's take 1-2 years.....1 is for special ones like LT2 and Edge...

this makes sense because the lifespan of a RB is much shorter than a QB's..

I look at it real simply...

if  KJ can't get the ball rolling this year and Calhoun is in there making plays when he gets the chance...I think they'll pull KJ and name Calhoun the starter...

KJ has to get it going in his 3rd season....most RB's are hitting their prime at this point in their career...

QB's take 3-4 years unless they are special....

RB's take 1-2 years.....1 is for special ones like LT2 and Edge...

this makes sense because the lifespan of a RB is much shorter than a QB's..

1466992[/snapback]

Good post but you have to think Kevin Jones will step it up this year, especially with a new coach and offensive coordinator. I like his ability. The question is whether he can stay healthy. Calhoun could thrive if given the chance, but I don't see him breaking out this year.

Good post but you have to think Kevin Jones will step it up this year, especially with a new coach and offensive coordinator. I like his ability. The question is whether he can stay healthy. Calhoun could thrive if given the chance, but I don't see him breaking out this year.

1467227[/snapback]

I agree...

and I've been on the KJ bandwagon....last year I took him early in the 2nd round...

luckily I took Jordan in the 3rd and ended up trading KJ with a WR for Galloway....

but I hope KJ plays well, if not...I think Calhoun could come in and make him regret not stepping up more..

Calhoun won't be able to take the punishment of being a franchise back. Not more than 20 touches a game anyway.

1467943[/snapback]

And this is based on?

Please don't tell me this is going to be more of that "he's too small to take a pounding" things. In case that it is:

1. Big backs get hurt just as much (if not more);

2. at 5'10", 204, Calhoun is NOT SMALL. He is larger than many very very successful backs.

3. Many collegiate players put on around 10 pounds as they transition to the NFL. At 5'10", 210+ pounds, he would be the prototypical NFL running back in stature.

Folks above are saying that Kevin Jones hits the hole hard and is a tough running back.  I watched a fair amount of Kevin Jones last year, and he looked absolutely awful.  His best move (and he did this time and time again) was to rush up to the line of scrimmage, do a half-spin move, and fall backwards either into (1) a linebacker or (2) the backs of his offensive linemen.  The guy did NOT hit holes with authority.  He had zero vision.  He looked awful.

If that same KJ shows up in 2006, Calhoun will be staring at a huge open door.

1465141[/snapback]

The problem is that Mooch's idea of using Kevin Jones was:

1) On first down, line him up in a two-back set with the TE in to block

2) call a run between the tackles and demand that KJ stay between the tackles

3) watch the terrible offensive line collapse

4) get Shawn Bryson in there

Seriously, the Lions ran out of that two-back set on something like 68% of first downs last year. With no offensive line, the defense just stacked the line and filled the gaps, and KJ was instructed to run into that brick wall. He's got good power one-on-one (put Ray Lewis down with a lowered helmet), but he's not Kevan Barlow and never will be, no matter how much Mooch tried to use him that way.

Ineffectively predictable. Predictably ineffective. This was the Motown edition of the Steve Mariucci offense.

Calhoun is going to see a lot of special teams reps, do some returning, and may split time between RB and WR. Martz will find ways to use him, but KJ should still be getting 15-20 carries every single game.

Peace

policy