[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone play in a league with an AFC & NFC-type setup?

msaint

We've always had 12 teams, six make playoffs (four on record, two on total points), but with growing interest we're thinking of expanding our league into two divions of 8 teams each, an AFC & NFC type thing.

Does anyone have this type of league and how does it work: head-to-head matchups, playoffs, draft (obviously the same players would be drafted in each league, a la WCOFF)....do you like this setup? what are the pitfalls? does each league function separately as an 8-team league (not ideal, i prefer 12-team leagues), or is there some other way to run it?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. :D

p.s. Yes, I know "anygone" is not a word.

Edited by msaint

fixed

msaint....first off (though I'm sure you hear it too much)....I love your first book!

I run a league with 2 12 team conferences divided into 3 divisions each. We have a live draft where we draw for conference, division and draft position and then hold 2 separate drafts accross the room. For the season schedule each team plays their division foes twice (6 games) and then 7 games against other conference opponents. There are no cross-conference games. We have 4 teams from each conference make the playoffs (each division winner and one wild-card) and the Super Bowl is between Conference Champions.

It worked really well last year....everyone loved it and it allowed us to have the biggest prize fund to date.

Hope that answers your question....let me know if you want to know more.

We've always had 12 teams, six make playoffs (four on record, two on total points), but with growing interest we're thinking of expanding our league into two divions of 8 teams each, an AFC & NFC type thing.

Does anyone have this type of league and how does it work: head-to-head matchups, playoffs, draft (obviously the same players would be drafted in each league, a la WCOFF)....do you like this setup? what are the pitfalls? does each league function separately as an 8-team league (not ideal, i prefer 12-team leagues), or is there some other way to run it?

the only thing i would kind of hate is the possibility of some of the same players being used in the league final...kinds of defeats the purpose of having a starting lineup when 2, 3 or 4 positions could be potentially "cancelled out".

my advice make it a 16 team 1 draft league, use your fantasy powers to outdraft the rest of the Felons...then go Priest and Horn as your 1rst and second picks. stick with the guys that have served you well over the years and watch LJ go the IR while Bree's throws 40 billion passes Joe's way. then ride that train to the Felon league title.

other than that im not sure how you'd run it with out making some major changes

msaint....first off (though I'm sure you hear it too much)....I love your first book!

I run a league with 2 12 team conferences divided into 3 divisions each. We have a live draft where we draw for conference, division and draft position and then hold 2 separate drafts accross the room. For the season schedule each team plays their division foes twice (6 games) and then 7 games against other conference opponents. There are no cross-conference games. We have 4 teams from each conference make the playoffs (each division winner and one wild-card) and the Super Bowl is between Conference Champions.

It worked really well last year....everyone loved it and it allowed us to have the biggest prize fund to date.

Hope that answers your question....let me know if you want to know more.

thanks for the info & props on the book, humeboy. :D

the only thing i would kind of hate is the possibility of some of the same players being used in the league final...kinds of defeats the purpose of having a starting lineup when 2, 3 or 4 positions could be potentially "cancelled out".

my advice make it a 16 team 1 draft league, use your fantasy powers to outdraft the rest of the Felons...then go Priest and Horn as your 1rst and second picks. stick with the guys that have served you well over the years and watch LJ go the IR while Bree's throws 40 billion passes Joe's way. then ride that train to the Felon league title.

other than that im not sure how you'd run it with out making some major changes

good points, thanks.

well i hope you dont take priest and horn as your forst two picks :D i was just trying to relate my own joe horn love hate relationship to yours in the book...but like i said im not a big fan or going up against the same guy

well i hope you dont take priest and horn as your forst two picks :D i was just trying to relate my own joe horn love hate relationship to yours in the book...but like i said im not a big fan or going up against the same guy

oh don't worry, the horn and priest suggestions weren't the good points i was talking about...though i'm tempted to draft horn and then bench him all season for screwing me three years ago. :D

My league has been a 12 team, 2 division league for years now. You play each team in your div twice, and each team in the other div one time in a 14 week season. To accomplish this, we play double-game weeks in wk 2 and then whatever the first week on non-bye is, usually around wk 10 (this way, on these double game weeks, no team has a chance of their best palyer sitting).

Div winners make playoffs, along with the 2 best teams other than that (so 3 teams from same div could actually be in playoffs).

PLyoffs run nfl week 15, Championship game is a 2-week game runnign 16-17 (first half and second half).

We tried a lot of other versions before settling on this, and this way works out the best and provides a lot of fun. We have long running rivalries and fun cross diviional games.

I help run a group of five 10 team leagues (they went to 12 team leagues this year). In years past the playoffs were run such that you only played people within your league until the final week. The Superbowl (1st-5th) and runnerup game (6th-10th) involved interleague play.

This year we've modified our playoff format to follow an interleague March Madness style bracket with 30 teams. We figured we could get a side pool going where owners fill out their whole brackets like the NCAA tourney pool.

Edited by myhousekey