[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Antonio Gates

49erAddict-08

so you would draft him in the 1st or 2nd round ???

He's been going early 3rd in most Mocks I've seen, and that seems just about right. I probably wouldn't consider taking Gates in the 2nd unless it was late 2nd.

I sure as hell take him in the 4th, 5th, or 6th.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's been going early 3rd in most Mocks I've seen, and that seems just about right. I probably wouldn't consider taking Gates in the 2nd unless it was late 2nd.

I sure as hell take him in the 4th, 5th, or 6th.

I am not willing to find out if he'll last to the 4th...

last year the 2004 Gates owner drafted him early in the 4th....

this year I expect the 3rd..

How often do you get top 10 WR production at the TE position.

PEOPLE, you only start one of these guys every week.

The point differential alone at this position is worth an enormous advantage. When you braek FF down to position by position match-ups, I think you could argue mid to low round two in bigger leagues.

No matter the format, he is clear round three talent!

I would take him in the 3rd if I had 2 RB's already and all of my favored WR's were gone...

if RMoss, Driver, Wayne and Chambers were the best available...I'd go Gates...

:D For real? Not trying to be a smart @$$, I just respect your opinions a lot!

:D What is so difficult to comprehend? Gates may likely outscore Wayne, Driver, and Chambers (R. Moss; maybe not so much) again this year. The fact he is in a position you must start and the expected statistical performance drops tremendously to the next highest scoring TE increases his value even more despite his impressive FF point output relative to Tier 1 and 2 WR's. :D

I just looked over my League's stats last year...

Smith - 418

Fitzgerald - 353

Boldin - 350

C. Johnson - 344

S. Moss - 341

Holt – 334

Gates - 329

Harrison - 326

Galloway - 306

Chambers - 296

Driver - 282

Burress – 276

Glenn - 264

Shockey – 262

Kennison – 246

Housh – 244

Rod Smith – 243

R. Moss - 242

Heap – 241

Wayne – 238

J. Smith - 236

McCardell - 229

Stallworth - 228

Crumpler - 224

I totally missed this :D

However, Say you have 3.02 - Gates, while you wait for 4.11 (assuming 12 teams) most WR will be gone (worst case scenario - 21 of them) It goes downhill fast, more if you have to start 3 WR. While Heap (should do better with McNair onboard) didn't have as good a last year, he's probably going to be there at 4.11 and you have a top 15 WR in your roster. You are still in the top 3 at TE and did not fall behind at WR.

However, Say you have 3.02 - Gates, while you wait for 4.11 (assuming 12 teams) most WR will be gone (worst case scenario - 21 of them) It goes downhill fast, more if you have to start 3 WR. While Heap (should do better with McNair onboard) didn't have as good a last year, he's probably going to be there at 4.11 and you have a top 15 WR in your roster. You are still in the top 3 at TE and did not fall behind at WR.

That's when you have to some 'strategery.' I will say that having a top 3 TE is important, but according to your list, the point differential between the #1 TE to the #3 TE is greater than the gap from the #8 to # 20 WR. I'd be willing to bet there is a pretty tight scoring clump between the #20 and #30 WR along with the #3 TE to the #whatever TE.

You have to decide what the best choice during your draft depending on who is picked before you. Personally, I'm not a big fan of taking a QB or TE high, once P. Manning or Gates are taken.

You know... :D I believe you are right

3.02.Gates, Antonio SDC TE 329.8

4.11 Houshmandzadeh, T.J. CIN WR 244.8

5.02.Smith, Rod DEN WR 243.7

3.02 Driver, Donald GBP WR 282.4

4.11 Heap, Todd BAL TE 241.7

5.02.Smith, Rod DEN WR 243.7

Clearly I'm ahead by over 40 pts... I have some QB crazy fellas in the League, I'd probably do better at 4.11 WR...

:D

Of course assuming things stay more or less the same way...

But I see clearly now

Thanks

yeah....RMoss has bothered me since the 1st time I drafted him 2 years ago he flops and then last year he flopped again...

the QB situation and OL is in shambles....

I don't like it...plus the other wideouts should probably put up around the same numbers as gates....but he's a TE....it's worth more there as I would get more value out of my overall lineup if I wait to draft someone like Mason, AJ or Horn....even Walker maybe...

I personally don't think I would take Gates even if he was there late third round (which he probably won't). In my leagues you start three WR's and only one TE. I'd much rather grab a second tier WR if I went RB, RB with my first two picks and grab a guy like Heap, Witten or Miller with a fifth or sixth round pick.

The difference between Gates and the second tier of TE's is only 2-3pts per week in non PPR leagues not worth a third round pick in my opinion.

What my man is trying to say is....it depends on the scoring system

The point differential alone at this position is worth an enormous advantage. When you braek FF down to position by position match-ups, I think you could argue mid to low round two in bigger leagues.

"PEOPLE, you only start one of these guys every week. "

2...with a floater also...no problem, just don't be so quick to advise the folks 10 stories above you... :D

McBoog- I just did the Baseline part of my spreadsheet, and you are absolutely correct! What Gates brings in a TE mandatory league puts him in the begining of the 2nd round....

Since I don't know my draft position until five minutes before the draft, I will take Gates no matter where I am in Round 3 (i will start RB/RB, but that is because the drop off is so great so fast).

Gates is the onlt TE I'd consider, or have ever considerd for that matter as a third round pick. The thing I've noticed my 17 years playing FF is that WR's are just so fuggin inconsistent-drives me nut's. Gates so far is very consistent, but the major downfall of a third round pick for a TE is your going to be left with high teir 2 and bushels of teir 3 WR, so it's a calculated decision, for if you go stud WR in the 3 Rd, you most likely will miss Gates-Good discussion guys :D

If he falls to the 4th I'll take him. 3rd is a bit steep for me with the new QB situation. There's also a few good TEs available in rds 8 or after (LJ Smith, Heath Miller) that I have no problem waiting on as my starting TE.

Gates is the onlt TE I'd consider, or have ever considerd for that matter as a third round pick. The thing I've noticed my 17 years playing FF is that WR's are just so fuggin inconsistent-drives me nut's. Gates so far is very consistent, but the major downfall of a third round pick for a TE is your going to be left with high teir 2 and bushels of teir 3 WR, so it's a calculated decision, for if you go stud WR in the 3 Rd, you most likely will miss Gates-Good discussion guys :D

That's the situation that has me going back and forth. In one of my specific leagues a TE gets 0.12 per yards and 1.2 per reception... clearly I have to go Gates there. After Holt, Smith, Johnson, TO, Fitz, Boldin, maybe R Moss are gone. Everybody else is more/less with the same upside in tier 2. IMHO.

the point is guys ,,, that Gates will never ever ever never ever make it to the 3rd. round !

So if you are a Gates Owner in a new league you have

Gates & RB1 & (RB3 or WR2) going into the 4th round

assuming 14 teams

Edited by MustOfBeenDrunk

the point is guys ,,, that Gates will never ever ever never ever make it to the 3rd. round !

In 2 out of the 3 Huddle Mock drafts he made it to the 3rd round. In a first year dynasty BOTH league last year, I got him at 3.5. In a first year BOTH dynasty league that I drafted in this year, he was taken at 3.3

Edited by bushwacked

I just tested picking Gates in the 3rd round in an Antsports 10-team mock. So far my team looks like this:

1.02 - Tomlinson

2.09 - Chad Johnson

3.02 - Gates

4.09 - Tom Brady

5.02 - D. Driver

6.09 - T. Bell

Right now my #2 RB situation is a little scary, but that isn't necessarily because I picked Gates in Rd 3. I could have chosen a RB instead of Johnson, Brady, or Driver.

However, out of all the mocks I have done so far, this might be the team I like best. Facing LT, Johnson, Gates, and Brady every week wouldn't be very fun.

In 2 out of the 3 Huddle Mock drafts he made it to the 3rd round. In a first year dynasty BOTH league last year, I got him at 3.5. In a first year BOTH dynasty league that I drafted in this year, he was taken at 3.3

i have not seen him last that long in any of the draft this year.

early 2 nd every time

http://football36.myfantasyleague.com/2006...ns?L=84964&O=07 went 2.01

http://football32.myfantasyleague.com/2006...ns?L=66099&O=07 went 2.07

If you don't get him go for the latest of Heap/Shockey/Crumpler. Whoever is drafted last would be a bargain. Those 3 are pretty much inter-changable.

Agree.

I wouldn't draft Gates until early 3
I wouldn't touch him till the 4th ie I won't own him. There is way too much 2d/3d tier quality avail this year to take Gates and "cheat" yourself of a high-quality WR or RB.

i have not seen him last that long in any of the draft this year.

early 2 nd every time

You're right. In a 14-team league I wouldn't expect Gates to be available in the 3rd round.

However, MFL's ADP tool has him going at 24 right now, meaning he will (on average) be available late 2nd to early 3rd in 12-team leagues and early to mid 3rd in 10-team leagues.

Edited by 49erAddict-08