[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Defensive Flex position

matt770

This year my league dropped a DL spot and added a flex. I drafted an extra LB with the assumption that they score the most points. However we also changed the scoring somewhat (changes in bold):

1 pt tackle (solo only), 2 pt sack, 1 pt pass defended, 2 pt forced fumble, 3 pt INT/Fum recovery.

The commish eliminated assisted tackles after last season because LBs were outscoring all but the top WRs. He also added points for passes defended and forced fumbles. This would seem to help DBs. Given this scoring, would you give DBs and LBs about equal weight? Another consideration, we only start 1 DL, and there were only 11 drafted in a 10 team league.

My IDPs:

LB: Z. Thomas, Peterson, Brooking, D. Morgan

DB: Boulware, B. Sanders

DL: Jason Taylor

Thanks for any opinions.

Being new to idp this year, so the vets might disagree, I say you still start a LB over a DB. Just comparing passes defenced vs. tackles for a MLB should give you an idea of the point differential. A db may have 1-2 passes defenced where a LB could get 8+ tackles, plus they are also more likely to force a fumble. I don't care for the solo only tackle, and how will you actually track that? And if you change it for tackles, why not for sacks?

here is the deal DB is one of the deepest positions you will find...with that said you will probably have a top 10-15 DB come off the WW this yr...I dont use a scoring system like yours so i would be hard pressed to tell you how you should go...but if it was me I would probably be looking for a rook or young CB that is going to get tested...or an overlooked LB that has top 25 potential...ie: Jeff Ulbrich probably wasnt even drafted in your league but go back and look at what he was doing prior to getting injured last yr...

oh and its draft season so dont get so worked up if someone doesnt answer your question right away

DeMeco Ryans

You had to mention that name. The commish drafted him around the 20th round and had a smug look on his face. Half the room hadn't heard of him. Let me guess, he's been lighting up the preseason?

This year my league dropped a DL spot and added a flex. I drafted an extra LB with the assumption that they score the most points. However we also changed the scoring somewhat (changes in bold):

1 pt tackle (solo only), 2 pt sack, 1 pt pass defended, 2 pt forced fumble, 3 pt INT/Fum recovery.

The commish eliminated assisted tackles after last season because LBs were outscoring all but the top WRs. He also added points for passes defended and forced fumbles. This would seem to help DBs. Given this scoring, would you give DBs and LBs about equal weight? Another consideration, we only start 1 DL, and there were only 11 drafted in a 10 team league.

My IDPs:

LB: Z. Thomas, Peterson, Brooking, D. Morgan

DB: Boulware, B. Sanders

DL: Jason Taylor

Thanks for any opinions.

Sounds like your scoring system for WRs is off then. :D

IMO assisted tackles are a necessary category in an IDP league. That, and passes defensed should not be the same value as tackles.

While this COULD improve DB scoring somewhat, LBs are still the kings of IDPs and if you're looking to fill a flex spot, I would certainly recommend a LB there.

If you're looking for a quick fix LB, try Brian Simmons from Cincy - he'll start the season as the team's MLB with Thurman sidelined.

And yeah, people are knee-deep in drafts ... don't get discouraged if your questions don't get immediate attention.

You had to mention that name. The commish drafted him around the 20th round and had a smug look on his face. Half the room hadn't heard of him. Let me guess, he's been lighting up the preseason?

Rookies Ryans and Dqwell Jackson are both penciled in as starters in the middle of their respective defenses, and few know who they are. Jackson is playing in a 3-4 next to Andra Davis, and Davis will got most those opportunities, while Ryans is in the middle of a 4-3.

Ryans hasnt lit it up per say in preseason, but their schedule, and offense will put them behind in most games, and he will be productive in the 4th quarter as teams are trying to salt the clock, running the rock right down the gut of the Texans defense.

Ryans hasnt lit it up per say in preseason, but their schedule, and offense will put them behind in most games, and he will be productive in the 4th quarter as teams are trying to salt the clock, running the rock right down the gut of the Texans defense.

Good stuff, thanks! I'll keep an eye on him in my other IDP leagues.

Good stuff, thanks! I'll keep an eye on him in my other IDP leagues.

In a recent start-up dynasty draft - we (co-owned team) picked him up in round 17 - 12 team 30 man active roster with a rookie DS of 5 players. That was nearly a week ago though.