[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When is Al Davis going to croak?

Bronco Billy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All-time regular season wins (through 04):

Chicago - 646

Green Bay - 612

NY Giants - 577

Oakland - 390

Who cares how many wins the Bears, Pack or Giants got back in the leather helmet days. The wins that matter are the wins since the first Super Bowl, whick Al is more reponsible for than any other person. In the 60's, Davis's Raiders led a new style of football that put passing as we know it into the game and brought prominance to the AFL. Then in the late 60's, Al became commisioner of the AFL and started steeling QB's that had current contracts from the NFL. The NFL QB's were very willing to go to the more exciting pass happy AFL. The NFL panicked and offered a merger, the real NFL and the Super Bowl were born. Al was awarded 1/3 interest in the Raiders (which at the time he was also GM of). The other 2/3 were owned by 2 other seperate partners. Now here is the shrewd part. He somehow got one of the partners to sign over his control and presto, Al has controlled Da Raiders ever sence. :D

If you think about what he did to get to the top, you realize there isn't another owner in all of football that could even carry Al's sizable jock :D

Wow... it's like Al Davis is some kind of Golden God... :D

It almost makes me forget that he's run the most penalyzed, dirtiest, underachieving, bad attitude and criminal team in football for the last 20 years. Oh... and he keeps wildly suing the league and other teams over totally bizarre perceived problems.

Other than that though... yeah, he's great for the league. :D

Wow... it's like Al Davis is some kind of Golden God... :D

It almost makes me forget that he's run the most penalyzed, dirtiest, underachieving, bad attitude and criminal team in football for the last 20 years. Oh... and he keeps wildly suing the league and other teams over totally bizarre perceived problems.

Other than that though... yeah, he's great for the league. :D

Ok, if you wanna pass over all thsoe real accomplishments fine, Al is an easy taget that even Raider fans enjoy. But the most underacheiving team in the last 20 years? Hell, they aren't even the most underacheiving team in the AFC West. When was the last time KC made a Superbowl? Do I have to go into other teams around the NFL who have dispointed consistantly short of the Superbowl? And Criminal? Hmm, how many arrests in Cinci this year?

You comic Soap Box is better if you leave those two out, we'll accept the penalized, diriest and attitude though.

You also left out;

resurected the most careers

created the most Hall of Famers (since SB I)

one of the most popular

caused the most rule changes

been in the most famous and controvercial games (by far)

copied the most

seen the most on NFL films

Even though both teams were created in the original 1960 AFL, I don't think the Denver Broncos can lay claim to any of the above. Even though they have been good at times, when it comes to all time greatness, they can't claim much at all. Kinda like a second string organization. Wait, I got one, "the most highest elevation" of all time!

You also left out;

resurected the most careers

created the most Hall of Famers (since SB I)

one of the most popular

caused the most rule changes

been in the most famous and controvercial games (by far)

copied the most

seen the most on NFL films

Even though both teams were created in the original 1960 AFL, I don't think the Denver Broncos can lay claim to any of the above. Even though they have been good at times, when it comes to all time greatness, they can't claim much at all. Kinda like a second string organization. Wait, I got one, "the most highest elevation" of all time!

Mostly true. Except for the "Best QB of all time!"

Unfortunately, the "seen the most on NFL films" is because of how bad they have been over the past couple of years! :D

Unfortunately, the "seen the most on NFL films" is because of how bad they have been over the past couple of years!

Yes, they have terrible in the last few years :bash: but "the emaculate reception" is the most famous and most watched NFL film ever. The Heidi Bowl, Sea of Hands, Holy Roller, Tuck rule and many others put Da Raiders at the top of NFL films most watched.

Did you know that "the emaculate reception" was the first time instant replay (unofficially) was used. After the play, the refs had a five minute conference off of the field and watched the replay over and over to see if the Steelers Frenchie Oprahwaw? touched the ball last before Franco Harris caught it. At the time 2 offensive players past the line of scrimmage couldn't do that and the play might have been called back. The first touch was very close between Jack Tatum and Oprahwaw and the play stood.

Back to Denver, surely they will spank the struggling Raiders on Sunday, but if they were removed from the NFL, would anybody outside of Colorado even miss them? :D No, they are just "filler" between the great franchises of the NFL :D

You comic Soap Box is better if you leave those two out, we'll accept the penalized, diriest and attitude though.

:D Fair enough. We'll have to agree to disagree on the underachieving and criminal. :D

Don't forget how good you guys were in Tecmo Bowl...

Chicago - 646

Green Bay - 612

NY Giants - 577

Oakland - 390

Who cares how many wins the Bears, Pack or Giants got back in the leather helmet days. The wins that matter are the wins since the first Super Bowl, whick Al is more reponsible for than any other person.

Well, you should've said "more wins since the advent of the Super Bowl" then, right? :D

In the 60's, Davis's Raiders led a new style of football that put passing as we know it into the game and brought prominance to the AFL.

FYI, Davis' "Raiders offense" was lifted almost completely from Sid Gillman's playbook. Davis added wrinkles as far as focusing on speed at TE and FB, but his scheme is 100% Gillman.

Al was awarded 1/3 interest in the Raiders (which at the time he was also GM of). The other 2/3 were owned by 2 other seperate partners. Now here is the shrewd part. He somehow got one of the partners to sign over his control and presto, Al has controlled Da Raiders ever sence. :bash:

If you think about what he did to get to the top, you realize there isn't another owner in all of football that could even carry Al's sizable jock :D

Actually, his method of gaining control of the Raiders was as low-rent as the way Modell got control of the Browns. Not sure who was first on that, though.

when it comes to all time greatness, they can't claim much at all.

Well, you're definition of "All-time" appears to be "since 1960".

Plenty of good reasons to consider post-1960 as the NFL's pinnacle, but yours seem solely to rest on "how to make the Raiders look the most kickass"

Saw him at the hall of fame ceremonies this summer and he sure looked dead to me.

I'm not sure if "dead" is a better or worse than the "old Jewish woman" style he's been sporting since the mid-70s... :D

Chicago - 646

Green Bay - 612

NY Giants - 577

Oakland - 390

Who cares how many wins the Bears, Pack or Giants got back in the leather helmet days. The wins that matter are the wins since the first Super Bowl

Let's kick all those NFL pioneers, the ones who worked and played parttime to get the young league going, let's kick them all out of the Hall of Fame. :D

The wins that matter are the wins since the first Super Bowl, whick Al is more reponsible for than any other person. In the 60's, Davis's Raiders led a new style of football that put passing as we know it into the game and brought prominance to the AFL. Then in the late 60's, Al became commisioner of the AFL and started steeling QB's that had current contracts from the NFL. The NFL QB's were very willing to go to the more exciting pass happy AFL. The NFL panicked and offered a merger, the real NFL and the Super Bowl were born. Al was awarded 1/3 interest in the Raiders (which at the time he was also GM of). The other 2/3 were owned by 2 other seperate partners. Now here is the shrewd part. He somehow got one of the partners to sign over his control and presto, Al has controlled Da Raiders ever sence. :D

:bash:

What a fairy tale!

Al Davis led a new style of football? I can't believe you'd put forth crap like this. Al Davis took the offense that he learned as an assistant coach for the Chargers when legendary offensive genius Sid Gillman was changing the face of pro football forever. Davis' Vertical Game, Koryell's Air Koryell & Walsh's West Coast Offense all have their roots in Gillman's passing game. Anything Davis knew about the offensive side of the football, he learned directly from Gillman 2 years before he ever had any contact with the Raiders.

Davis stood on the shoulders of giants like George Halas, Curly Lambeau, and Lamar Hunt in the forming of the NFL into a viable successful business venture in the case of the former two and in the visionary sight & drive in the case of the latter. Davis didn't lead anyone in "stealing" players from the NFL, that was the Jets when they signed high profile Alabama QB Joe Namath that started the snowball rolling, and that table was set by the Cheifs drafting Gale Sayers & getting into a bidding war with the Bears for his services.

Davis didn't have much to do with the merger - that was the result of a lot of secret meetings & damn hard work by Hunt & Cowboy owner Tex Schramm, who both saw player's salaries growing well beyond what either league could afford to pay & still stay in business as the leagues bidded against each other for star players' services. That's where the merger between the league came from - the nut busting compromises between Hunt & Schramm, not because of anything special that Davis did.

Davis' screwing of his former partners is legendary, as is his screwing of fans in Oakland & Los Angeles, and then having the balls to sue his feed trough - the NFL - when he had financial troubles that were the direct result of his own actions. The man has no loyalty to any one other than himself, and his ego & self-image are the largest part of Davis. He has repeatedly raked over the NFL, the fans of his teams, his players, and his coaches all for his own profit & aggrandizement.

At one time, he took the cumulative knowledge of that which he learned from the laps of geniuses & was a sharp and knowledgeable football man himself - for a couple of decades, which is admittedly astounding in the league, but then he got too full of himself and the result is the pathetic franchise that we see today. Respectable coaches don't want any part of him any more and his players disrespect him & laugh at him as a doddering old fool. He has a fan base of a bunch of CPAs, lawyers, and grocery store baggers six days a week who dress up like Pirates of the Carribean on PCP & shiv each other in the stands on Sundays.

Davis is done. He has been for a while. He hired a young offensive genius in Gruden who postponed the current disgrace by 3-4 years, but of course being Al the Great, he promptly drove off his meal ticket just like he did Shanahan years earlier, and he is now reaping exactly what he has sown the past 12 years. He is a disgrace, and he has dragged a once proud franchise & his fan base down with him.

Now, take your driveling misplaced hero worship somewhere else & go learn something about the history of the game before you come here & lionize a reeling old goat like Davis. Quite frankly, what you put forth is embarrassing.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Bronco Bill, how much online research did you for that. I don't see you aplying any of it to defend my "Denver is nothing more than filler" comment.

Even though Da Raiders are currently the worst team in the NFL, Bronco fans are cellebrating a so called "Raider Week" all over Colorado. Playing second fiddle to Da Raiders since 1960 has caused you guys to develop a monsterous inferiority complex.

Denver could be defending a Superbowl trophy and we wouldn't have "Bronco Week". You make us laugh with your one sided rivalry. Denver will always be NFL plankton.

Bronco Bill, how much online research did you for that. I don't see you aplying any of it to defend my "Denver is nothing more than filler" comment.

translation: "wow, i just got pwn3d :D "

Even though Da Raiders are currently the worst team in the NFL, Bronco fans are cellebrating a so called "Raider Week" all over Colorado.

really?? how come i wasn't invited? :D

Even though Da Raiders are currently the worst team in the NFL, Bronco fans are cellebrating a so called "Raider Week" all over Colorado. Playing second fiddle to Da Raiders since 1960 has caused you guys to develop a monsterous inferiority complex.

Denver could be defending a Superbowl trophy and we wouldn't have "Bronco Week". You make us laugh with your one sided rivalry. Denver will always be NFL plankton.

Why would I have to do research? I would think any serious fan of the greatest game in the world would have a basic understanding of its history. Apparently not, with the bed time story you made up about Saint Al the Almighty and how he invented the game of football.

And as far as defending DEN, I'll let their record & play do the talking, thanks. I don't need to reach back 25 years to find good memories about DEN. Here an 8-8 season is a disaster. In OAK it would be a huge triumph and probably result in a parade (or a riot, hard to tell which). That's all that needs to be said about the states of the two teams and what the standards for a committment to excellence are.

As far as rivals, you all had better start planning for Texans week. HOU & TEN are about the only teams that OAK might have a chance against, as long as they play in the Black Pit of Despair & not on the road. You all had your shots at CLE & SF and couldn't match up.

Edited by Bronco Billy