[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tuna Variations

Big Country

So, I am not the biggest fan of fish, as noted in several threads in the past year. But, as also noted, fish is one of the healthier things we can eat, and I don't mind an occassional tuna sandwich.

So, with that said, I'm looking for combinations that people use to mix up their tuna in addition to the usual tuna/mayo with some pepper.

I've sen some mixes with red onion or celery added in. I've seen some people do a mix involving balsamic and mustard I believe (didnt care for it when I made it) and I have also made some using some light ranch dressing which was not bad.

I was thinking of mixing some up with celery and bell peppers, but was thinking of using a mustard or something else as the "glue" other than mayo.

Any other reciped out there for mixing up your tuna that you all would like to share?

tuna salad is one of the few foods that makes me gag. none-the-less, i have had to make it, and it's pretty good (from waht others tell me).

mayo is the best binder for it. basil, very small diced tomato, chopped kalamata or nicoise olives, very small diced red onion and celery, lemon juice, old bay, s&p.

for me, just a little soy/wasabi makes tuna palatable even right outta the can. that alone wouldn't bind real well for making a tuna salad, but it wouldn't be too hard to come up with some variations on that idea.

just to roll with that......

mix 1/4 C mayo, 1/8 C sugar, soy, cilantro, very small diced onion, celery, red pepper, chopped cashews (and if you like- ginger and garlic)

Mix whatever you want but if your not using Bumble Bee solid white in water, your tuna salad sucks. :D

Tunafish (as we call it here in New England) salad is a staple in our house. I make up a tub of it every week.

Cains mayo (New England and it kicks Helmanns ass off)

small dice of onion

sweet relish

hot relish

celery salt

garlic powder

Penzey's Chesapeake Bay seasoning

(hot sauce occasionally)

Years ago my grandparents used to slice sweet gerkin pickles and used to put them right in the sandwich. We loved it. Now I just use the relish.

I like to add Thai sweet chili sauce (which will be become one of your favorite condiments once you start using it), some mayo, scallion, and cilantro.

In france, tuna salad sandwich is called pan bagna and you could make a variation. Lot's of olive oil, some black olives (not the pitted California black olives that you put on your finger tips but good black olives), some tomato, thinly sliced red onion, red wine vinegar, and fresh herbs like thyme. Let that sit for a while. Take a good loaf of crusty french bread, slice it in half, tear a little out of the middle of the loaf and load it up with the tomato salad. Let sit for about 20 minutes before eating.

I like to add Thai sweet chili sauce (which will be become one of your favorite condiments once you start using it), some mayo, scallion, and cilantro.

In france, tuna salad sandwich is called pan bagna and you could make a variation. Lot's of olive oil, some black olives (not the pitted California black olives that you put on your finger tips but good black olives), some tomato, thinly sliced red onion, red wine vinegar, and fresh herbs like thyme. Let that sit for a while. Take a good loaf of crusty french bread, slice it in half, tear a little out of the middle of the loaf and load it up with the tomato salad. Let sit for about 20 minutes before eating.

Detlef, I have to second the Thai Sweet Chili sauce! A while ago I half jokingly asked if anyone had any Thai Turkey recipes and you made a suggestion that I took and ran with. I made a Thai Turkey Breast a few days after Thanksgiving; I tweaked the recipe a little bit and made one Thai and one traditional turkey for a family dinner we had over the Christmas Holidays.... The traditional was a hit but everyone raved about the Thai Turkey! I have since started putting it on sandwiches etc...

Thanks for giving me a great idea!! :D

Edited by sundaynfl

Detlef, I have to second the Thai Sweet Chili sauce! A while ago I half jokingly asked if anyone had any Thai Turkey recipes and you made a suggestion that I took and ran with. I made a Thai Turkey Breast a few days after Thanksgiving; I tweaked the recipe a little bit and made one Thai and one traditional turkey for a family dinner we had over the Christmas Holidays.... The traditional was a hit but everyone raved about the Thai Turkey! I have since started putting it on sandwiches etc...

Thanks for giving me a great idea!! :D

Glad to be of service. :D

That stuff tastes good in everything including as the jelly part of a PB&J.

I like a good tuna sammich. I add (all finely chopped) celery, onion, dill pickle and tomato. I use less mayo than most and throw in a little pickle juice if the mix is too dry. S&P of course. My kids like diced cheddar thrown in, which makes for a great tuna melt.

• 2 weeks later...