[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WR Brandon Marshall - on your radar?

Bronco Billy

The Rocky Mountaion News now has run 2 articles on Brandon Marshall in the past week, with today's version being exceptionally long & detailed.

Link to 5/17 article

Link to 5/20 article

Some excerpts:

The way Marshall played at the end of his rookie season has put him in line for a potential starting role in 2007 and made the offseason particularly important personally.

With Rod Smith still recovering from left hip surgery, Marshall could get the opportunity before training camp to show he belongs opposite Javon Walker with the first team.

Marshall was the starter last week when passing camp began as Smith, who is deep in a rehabilitation regimen that won't put him on the field until at least July, watched.

Marshall tends to downplay his potential at starting as motivation, suggesting his drive within pushes him. But the folks in Florida who watched the fervor as Marshall attacked workouts before returning to the Broncos' Dove Valley complex aren't necessarily buying the blasé take.

"He's way more driven this year," Calvagne said. "And he may not even see that. But I do."

Added Gates: "He absolutely knows the opportunity is there."

In December, Broncos Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey trumpeted Marshall's growth from start to finish of his rookie season.

But Bailey added a disclaimer: "Let's see how he works at it."

---------------------------------------------

He had at least one 13-yard catch in six of the final seven games, including one for 33 yards against the Chargers and a tackle-busting, 71-yard touchdown Dec. 3 against the Seattle Seahawks.

"You could see his potential just soar," Shanahan said at his season-ending news conference. "So, hopefully, he does the little things the right way in the offseason, because the sky's the limit relative to talent."

--------------------------------------------

"I'm not working to be a starter or the third receiver or just to make the Denver Broncos' depth chart," he said. "I'm working to be the best receiver in the NFL. I'm not working to replace a guy or be the No. 1 on a team. I want to be the No. 1 receiver picked for the Pro Bowl. And I want to play on Super Bowl Sunday."

We'll see, but based upon what we saw last year with his progress through the season & then his repore with Cutler when Cutler finally got the start sure looks promising.

Also some info on TE Scheffler breaking his foot:

Schefrfler out 2 months

The Broncos suffered their first major injury of the offseason program Friday when second-year tight end Tony Scheffler broke his left foot during the third day of the team's passing camp.

The second-year player, who made a major late-season contribution to the passing offense as a rookie, will undergo surgery Monday....

CBS 4, which first reported the story, said Scheffler will be out two months, which would allow him to return by the start of training camp...

He initially had bulked up nearly 20 pounds since the end of last season but lost 10 to 12 pounds through his work in the Broncos' strength and conditioning program. Scheffler talked about wanting to be down another five pounds or so to the 245-pound range by the start of training camp while also improving upon his speed, which still hadn't returned fully at this early juncture.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Definitely on my radar this year.

I may actually keep Cutler in my one-man keeper league as he may only cost me a 13th rounder. I'm figuring I may be able to snag Marshall to complete a nice sleeper tandem in the 14th or 15th (last round).

Also with Henry at RB, it may only further open things up for Cutler/Marshall to hook up for more big plays.

Yeah, but only as a late-round flyer at this point. We'll see what happens during preseason.

exactly...I can smell semi-disappointment as him and Cutler will both have to make a strong transition from beinning to end and not come in mid-way through the season like Cutler did, or in certain packages like Marshall...

they both need at least 1 full season together to make this happen....but I'm holding out a slight possibility that they might click early....especially with Walker on the other side and Henry spearheading the ground game..

Didn't Marshall get into some kind of trouble in March?

Domestic dispute. The charges are expected to be dropped, the last I heard. I also heard Marshall in an interview on 950 AM The Fan in Denver, and he actually admitted acting stupidly (as he also did in the newspapers), took full responsibility, and that it won't happen again.