[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gee, thanks BCS

detlef

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the day as it were...

Rose - #7 USC vs #1 Ohio St

Orange - #4 Oklahoma vs #3 Virginia Tech (no ACC tie in)

Sugar - #2 LSU vs #5 Georgia

Fiesta - #6 Missouri vs #9 West Virginia (no tie in at all for this bowl)

Cotton - #8 Kansas vs #11 Arizona State (used to be SWC but no longer exists)

Old Method

Fiesta - #6 Missouri (#13 Illinois) vs #9 West Virginia (no tie in at all for this bowl)

Cotton - #8 Kansas (#19 Texas) vs #11 Arizona State (used to be SWC but no longer exists)

Umm... can anyone point out a situation where a bowl game has taken two teams from the same conference ever? I could be wrong here, but I would expect that the Sugar Bowl would have gone shopping for someone else.

Cotton should have got the Big 12 #1 team, not Fiesta. Old Big 8 went to Orange Bowl. So that tradition died with the new conference.

But Sugar Bowl is in a terrible place. Terrible accomodations for fans, more of a NFL environment than college football. Just has always been the worst game of the day, and that turf, has always looked awful.

No Bowl game should be played in a dome. None. College football shouldnt be played in a dome, its that simple. I cant think of any real team that plays in a dome, then to have to play a bowl game in one, is terrible.

I certainly here you about the dome. Very random indeed. In terms of NO in general. I assume you're talking post Katrina? I mean, prior to that (and it's only a matter of time if not already that it will be back), as a travel destination, you have to give it the nod over pretty much all the BCS spots (plus your Cotton Bowl) with the exception of Miami. Phoenix? Dallas? Pasadena? I'm not knocking those cities or anything, but if you go to Dallas, you're going there for a reason, not just to "hang in Dallas".

Umm... can anyone point out a situation where a bowl game has taken two teams from the same conference ever? I could be wrong here, but I would expect that the Sugar Bowl would have gone shopping for someone else.

Sadly I know of one. :D

1960 Sugar Bowl

Mississippi 21

LSU 0

The regular season thriller won by Billy Cannon's 89-yard punt return proved to be a nightmarish rematch for LSU. Jake Gibbs hit Cowboy Woodruff with a 43-yard touchdown pass just before halftime and the Rebels coasted after that. The Tigers and Heisman Trophy winner Cannon never got inside the Ole Miss 38 the entire game.

PASSING: Durel Matherne, 5 of 9, 53 yards

RUSHING: Billy Cannon, 6 att., 8 yards

RECEIVING: Billy Cannon, 3 rec., 39 yards

ATTENDANCE: 81,141

Sadly I know of one. :D

1960 Sugar Bowl

Mississippi 21

LSU 0

The regular season thriller won by Billy Cannon's 89-yard punt return proved to be a nightmarish rematch for LSU. Jake Gibbs hit Cowboy Woodruff with a 43-yard touchdown pass just before halftime and the Rebels coasted after that. The Tigers and Heisman Trophy winner Cannon never got inside the Ole Miss 38 the entire game.

PASSING: Durel Matherne, 5 of 9, 53 yards

RUSHING: Billy Cannon, 6 att., 8 yards

RECEIVING: Billy Cannon, 3 rec., 39 yards

ATTENDANCE: 81,141

1978 Nebraska and Oklahoma played in the Orange Bowl.

Probably should have played in 1971 as well instead of being forced to embarass 2 SEC teams.

Interesting. Good to know.

anyone catch James Carville ripping the BCS this AM on ESPN?? pretty fired up, he was great- ripping it to shreds in all phases.

Goes on to say how no one wants to see USC/ILL, and the other ridiculous matchups, and how corrupt the system is. But the Rose has no choice but to take ILL to give the Big 10 a payday, b/c no one wants "their stinking" teams.

anyone catch James Carville ripping the BCS this AM on ESPN?? pretty fired up, he was great- ripping it to shreds in all phases.

Goes on to say how no one wants to see USC/ILL, and the other ridiculous matchups, and how corrupt the system is. But the Rose has no choice but to take ILL to give the Big 10 a payday, b/c no one wants "their stinking" teams.

No choice but to take Illionois...........are you kidding me? If tables were turned and USC had went to the NC game, then the Rose Bowl would have sent a subpar PAC10 team to face the Bucks............get with it dude , your Big 10 bashing is played out.

No choice but to take Illionois...........are you kidding me? If tables were turned and USC had went to the NC game, then the Rose Bowl would have sent a subpar PAC10 team to face the Bucks............get with it dude , your Big 10 bashing is played out.

just reality dude- not bashing the Big 10- could be anyone, the Big 10 just happened to stink this year

A 2 L ASU team would be just fine...........

Maybe Carville needs a campaign manager to remind him to not say how he really feels, but say the politcially correct thing. Pretty sure he lost a few votes for his next politcal candidate with those unkind big 10 remarks. :D

Given the facts that it has happened before, the Sugar wouldn't want a rematch with Va Tech(the highest ranked available team), LSU didn't play Georgia in the regular season and that they are both top 5 teams suggests to me that they could very well find that an attractive match-up, especially since back in the day it would've created a very strong chance for the SEC (winner of that game) to win the NC.

THE Minnesota Golden Gophers play in a dome. :D

Yep, and I can tell you first hand from living here in the twin cities, it is THE ABSOLUTE WORST place to watch a college football game. They get their stadium in 2009 though. Should start keeping the stud in state recruits (the few of them that there are). Especially those, like Trevor Laws who simply couldn't bare having to play in the big inflatable toilet for 4 years.

Still waiting to hear of a REAL Teams that plays in a dome. Minnesota as bad as they are are probably the most legitimate team who plays indoors though. So nice find, I suppose. :D

Why are you picking on a BIG 10 team? Didn't you know that their conference is loaded top to bottom! Every team in the BIG 10 is a REAL team. The Gophers even have a some NC titles to prove it! :D

Back in the day as it were...

Fiesta - #6 Missouri vs #9 West Virginia (no tie in at all for this bowl)

Cotton - #8 Kansas vs #11 Arizona State (used to be SWC but no longer exists)

Hawaii would have been nowhere to be found but you can plug them in there if you like. You could throw Florida in there somewhere too if you thought it looked good. I actually thought OU vs FLA but I didn't want to snub a higher ranked team. I would love to see that game.

I didn't put a hugh amount of thought into that line-up but I'm pretty sure there was a time when that would've worked out.

Doesn't give us a clear champion but we're not getting one this year anyway.

Oh and by the way, the Sugar was logical because of the tie-in to the SEC. The Cotton lost their connection when the SWC folded.

Here's a thought about "back in the day".

Back in the day....

LSU would not have a loss on their record. The would have two ties, with no losses.

However, everyone else would have EARNED AT LEAST ONE LOSS.

Sounds much better than the others, doesn't it?

Here's a thought about "back in the day".

Back in the day....

LSU would not have a loss on their record. The would have two ties, with no losses.

However, everyone else would have EARNED AT LEAST ONE LOSS.

Sounds much better than the others, doesn't it?

.............and today LSU.............earned.............2 losses. So what sounds better ?

when put in context that the 2 losses came after 3OT's past regulation (which would have been ties and an undefeated season) vs. others team regular season losses, I would take the former...

Edited by millerx