[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

R Grant Update

ttrag

Green Bay - Here is an update after coach Mike McCarthy spoke to the media:

A.J. Hawk "looked good, like his normal self flying around at practice." McCarthy added that Hawk felt he has been ready for "quite some time." While McCarthy said Hawk is "ready to go," it's up to Pat McKenzie to clear Hawk.

On Scott Wells: "They feel they have a handle on it. He's going to get some treatment today and it could be one day or a couple weeks. He was very encouraged with his visit. We'll see how he feels in the morning."

On Chad Clifton: "We're just being cautious with Chad. We'll probably hold him out tomorrow and he'll practice Saturday."

On KGB: "You can only trust what's on the film and I thought he practiced extremely well earlier in the week. I thought he looked very explosive out there today. He was definitely getting off the ball and applying pressure like he normally does. He's had some swelling. We're just trying to help him with that."

On Charles Woodson: "It's more of a soreness thing. He'll practice tomorrow."

Josh Sitton is out for the game. That designation has not yet been placed on Wells or James Jones.

Here is the full Packers injury report:

Out

G Josh Sitton (knee)

Did not participate

WR James Jones (knee)

C Scott Wells (lower back)

Limited participation

S Atari Bigby (ankle)

LT Chad Clifton (knee, chest)

LB A.J. Hawk (chest)

S Charlie Peprah (hamstring)

DE Jeremy Thompson (groin)

LB Tracy White (ankle)

CB Charles Woodson (rest)

Full participation

DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (knee)

RB Ryan Grant (hamstring)

Green Bay - Here is an update after coach Mike McCarthy spoke to the media:

A.J. Hawk "looked good, like his normal self flying around at practice." McCarthy added that Hawk felt he has been ready for "quite some time." While McCarthy said Hawk is "ready to go," it's up to Pat McKenzie to clear Hawk.

On Scott Wells: "They feel they have a handle on it. He's going to get some treatment today and it could be one day or a couple weeks. He was very encouraged with his visit. We'll see how he feels in the morning."

On Chad Clifton: "We're just being cautious with Chad. We'll probably hold him out tomorrow and he'll practice Saturday."

On KGB: "You can only trust what's on the film and I thought he practiced extremely well earlier in the week. I thought he looked very explosive out there today. He was definitely getting off the ball and applying pressure like he normally does. He's had some swelling. We're just trying to help him with that."

On Charles Woodson: "It's more of a soreness thing. He'll practice tomorrow."

Josh Sitton is out for the game. That designation has not yet been placed on Wells or James Jones.

Here is the full Packers injury report:

Out

G Josh Sitton (knee)

Did not participate

WR James Jones (knee)

C Scott Wells (lower back)

Limited participation

S Atari Bigby (ankle)

LT Chad Clifton (knee, chest)

LB A.J. Hawk (chest)

S Charlie Peprah (hamstring)

DE Jeremy Thompson (groin)

LB Tracy White (ankle)

CB Charles Woodson (rest)

Full participation

DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (knee)

RB Ryan Grant (hamstring)

I find it a bit odd that if this was McCarthy talking to the press that he

1. Didn't say anything about Grant

and

2. That he wasn't asked about Grant.

I find it a bit odd that if this was McCarthy talking to the press that he

1. Didn't say anything about Grant

and

2. That he wasn't asked about Grant.

That's just a summation of the presser.

From the presser

(Are you encouraged by the way Ryan Grant has picked up after missing so much time during camp?)

Ryan just needs to get some work, get some days of work. He missed a day earlier in the week. It's good to have him out there today taking the full number of reps. It is a long week and we need to get him ready and ready to play. It's always a little concerning when you go into live action for the first time when it's for real. He's in great shape and I'm not concerned about his conditioning or anything like that. He just needs to get out there and get in some live action.

From an interview with enemy media(Minnesota)

During the offseason there was some talk that the Packers might change the offense to emphasize the run a little more and have more balance, do you feel that happening?

I think we want to get back to that balance. We haven't had a lot of balance in the last couple of years. Brett threw, I believe in 2006, over 600 passes and we were more like 55-45 or even higher than that pass to run. A strong running game definitely helps out a young quarterback. Bringing that eighth guy into the box can allow for better matchups outside. We've got a talented running back in Ryan Grant and a line that has been together for a few years now. I'm for whatever is giving us the best chance to win. If that's running the ball that's fine, if that's throwing the ball, that's fine with me as well. I just want to win games. The stats and the accolades and all that stuff, if you're winning games, that will come.

How much can you change the play from a run to a pass or pass to a run at the line?

I'm not really going to get into specifics like that. There's definitely a lot of freedom in this offense at quarterback.

Can you say if the first x number of plays will be scripted?

That's another schematic thing I'm not really gonna get into. :wacko:

The Vikings have been talking about getting pressure on Rodgers all week. But Grant is the only RB to gain 100 yards against the Vikes last year. I'm playing T Jones over him in a league this weekend. :D

:wacko:

Benching a guy who's basically having his first practice of the season playing against one of the strongest Ds in the league is hardly shocking when you've got a very solid alternative going against Miami.

Not saying it's a no brainer either way, mind you. Just saying it's somewhat of a leap of faith at this point to assume Grant will go off on Monday which is pretty much what you'd have to think if you're implying there's no way someone should start T Jones instead of him.

Benching a guy who's basically having his first practice of the season playing against one of the strongest Ds in the league is hardly shocking when you've got a very solid alternative going against Miami.

Not saying it's a no brainer either way, mind you. Just saying it's somewhat of a leap of faith at this point to assume Grant will go off on Monday which is pretty much what you'd have to think if you're implying there's no way someone should start T Jones instead of him.

Sounds great! But let me ask, if I'm serving cucumber sandwiches on Sunday, would a riesling be too presumptious?

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?show...p;#entry2525315 Thanks in advance fancy lad :wacko:

I consider Ryan Grant to be a stud this year. Regardless of any injury concerns he has for this weekend, that is not a factor in my decision. I think he would be held to 40 yards if fully healthy this weekend. I don't consider Thomas Jones as a stud at this point but I like his potential.

Sounds great! But let me ask, if I'm serving cucumber sandwiches on Sunday, would a riesling be too presumptious?

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?show...p;#entry2525315 Thanks in advance fancy lad :wacko:

I'm starting to think that this is just schtick... No way is he really doing this.

(TheHuddle) The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports Green Bay Packers RB Brandon Jackson is expected to see a lot of playing time during Week 1.

Analysis: Ryan Grant has returned to practice, but it appears that Jackson will be getting the bulk of the carries this week. As stated here earlier, Jackson is a great pickup and start this week.

I'm searching on JS Online and have yet to see anything to make us think that Jackson will get the bulk... Help me out?

Up and down

The in-again out-again status of center Scott Wells continues to leave the offensive line up in the air.

Wells returned to practice after a two-week absence Monday, but then had a recurrence of the side injury that has bothered him most of camp. The Packers did more tests on Wells to see if they could pinpoint the problem and are hoping to have the answer.

McCarthy said Wells could be back in time for the opener, but he's not sure. Wells did not practice Thursday.

"They feel they may have a handle on it," McCarthy said. "Scott is going to get some treatment and it could be one day or it could be a couple of weeks (that he's out). I talked to him right before practice. He was very encouraged with his visit, and we'll see how he feels in the morning."

The Packers listed 12 players on their injury report, but the only ones who did not practice were wide receiver James Jones (knee), guard Josh Sitton (knee), cornerback Charles Woodson (rest) and Wells. End Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (knee) and running back Ryan Grant (hamstring) were not limited at all.

Link

I am putting all of this "noise" about Grant in a box in my closet. I own him. I am starting him. Tired of all the BS. If he plays he plays. If he doesn't play I will take a goose egg. I would not consider BJax a good start even if Grant was out.

I have nothing to substantiate this other than my own gut, but I have a feeling that Ryan Grant owners are going to be sick and tired of the name "Brandon Jackson" by the end of this season.

I only have my eyes and having watched every game the packers played last year to substantiate this, but I have a feeling that the Brandon Jackson hype will die down once everyone remembers how unimpressive he really is. I think he can be a very nice third down back, but I don't see much more. He just doesn't seem to have "it".

Everything that I read on JSonline said that Jackson would be used, but Grant is ready to go without restrictions for Monday. This is the Vikings, on Monday, at home, for the first time in nearly 20 years without #4. No way is Grant going to play second fiddle on Monday. He'll play, as will KGB. I also have a decent feeling that Hawk is going to play as well, although I'm not sure how banged up he'll be.

I have nothing to substantiate this other than my own gut, but I have a feeling that Ryan Grant owners are going to be sick and tired of the name "Brandon Jackson" by the end of this season.

After his terrible play last year I'm sick of it already.

Funny watching the games they played last season it seemed obvious that Jackson doesn't get "it" let alone have "it". Green Bay run a particular blocking scheme, a back with limited talent that fits that system well can put up big numbers behind that line. Grant fits that system, IMO Jackson doesn't. They also have more money invested in Grant now that Jackson. Lots more.

That said I'm going with Thomas Jones, Addai and Ricky Williams this week. I don't know if it's the correct decision but Minnesota are a great run defense and Grant is not 100% and *might* not get the majority of carries.

I'm searching on JS Online and have yet to see anything to make us think that Jackson will get the bulk... Help me out?

The only thing I can find is this article -

Running back Ryan Grant sat out practice Friday but was listed as probable with a sore hamstring. Grant worked in pads Monday and Thursday, and also took Tuesday off.

"He'll be ready," said running back Brandon Jackson. "If there's a problem, then I'll be ready. Seriously, I feel like I'll be playing a lot. They've given me a lot of reps out in practice so I feel like I'm a big part of the offense this week."

But that doesn't seem to indicate that Jackson will be the lead back. 1) He says Grant will be ready, and 2) yeah, it says Jackson will be a big part of the offense, but Jackson is the source, so who knows if the information is accurate or if he's just showing confidence in himself.

That said, while I'm starting Grant, I am a bit nervous.

If the game wasn't Monday night, I'd be able to wait. However, I can't risk taking a goose egg, or anything near that from Grant. I'm, unfortunately, going with Parker in one league and Ray Rice in another.