[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who'll be the starting RB in Detroit for week 5?

dan415

Technically, Kevin Smith started the game, but he only got 3 carries for 19 yards to Rudi Johnson's 14 carries for 83 yards. They've got a week 4 bye, so I doubt many people would be picking up Rudi Johnson this week off the waiver wire. Would he be a good pickup in anticipation for week 5 and beyond?

Until they can show otherwise, I would continue under the assumption that Kevin Smith will not be productive whether he starts or not. My guess is that Rudi will now take over (but that's just a guess). Not sure why... probably blocking skills.

Does it matter? They have a terrible running game split between two backs.

+1 - Despite Marinelli and Coletto's commitement to the running game, when your team is consistently down by three or more scores heading into the second half, you need to throw the ball. The RB situation here is pointless in most games, because the Lions are abysmal.

+1 - Despite Marinelli and Coletto's commitement to the running game, when your team is consistently down by three or more scores heading into the second half, you need to throw the ball. The RB situation here is pointless in most games, because the Lions are abysmal.

Um, they were way behind this week and dude got 120+ total yds and a TD. Mind you, it was vs SF (which, provided their offense continues to allow them to get a little rest might prove to be a better D than they've seemed over the last few years when they've been on the field for 40 minutes a game). However, unless you're expecting to have Rudi has the centerpiece of your FF rushing attack, even half that production might not be a bad thing.

Any RB getting the bulk of the carries is worth owning and possibly starting depending on the situation.

In addition to the above, there is going to be some interest at some point to evaluate the younger players, particularly after the Lions throw in the towel. I think that you pretty much know what Johnson is all about. And Johnson appears to be the superior back at the moment.

So my guess is 2:1 Johnson, until they pack it in and start Stanton. After that, Smith will get more carries until the Lions determine if Smith is indeed the "RB of the future."

:wacko: