[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Does anyone else pick their players this way?

efi4eye

I bet this is gonna sound incredibly silly, but I actually like to watch player interviews to help evaluate them for my fantasy squads. Some of the best players seem to have a great mind for the game and overall intelligence that comes through when they talk. For example - has anyone heard Marshawn Lynch or Frank Gore? They both come off a bit as ignorant thugs, maybe not El Guapos, but not that bright at the same time. LaDainian Tomlinson or DeAngelo Williams, on the other hand, seem to have some class and a good mind for the game. Philip Rivers or Jay Cutler - arrogant pricks, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, maybe not so much. A guy like Ronnie Brown to me is a solid pick because he comes off as a stand-up guy who's even a little self-sacrificing for his team. Least of all, by choosing players this way, at least the chances of them getting suspended or booted due to character issues is pretty low.

Anyone else feel this way? It's one of the biggest things I look, especially in a dynasty league

I've never done a dynasty league, but I've often watched interviews to see what players are like. Funny you mentioned it, but I did just watch ones with Gore and Lynch a few days ago lol. I would still draft either of these guys, but I have passed TO before because he acts like such an idiot. Even as a Giants fan, I can't completely like Plaxico because he's a headcase and his interviews make him sound like an idiot.

True story - I was at my fantasy draft I do each year with some friends of mine a few years back and my buddy picked TO in like the 2nd or 3rd or whenever it was. I told him that TO is such a moron and he'll end up suspended or something. Sure enough, 30 min. later ESPN shows him riding the excersise bike looking like Lance Armstrong. My buddy shook his head and said I can't believe I drafted this idiot lol.

Hell No!!

Fixed.

I think you can find some commonalities between being thug-like and not being a solid fantasy player but I think you can also find thug-like players who are awesome contributors to championship teams. Like CD said I draft players who I think will score the most points and it's been pretty successful over the years. I won one of my leagues 2 years or so back with Frank Gore as one of my RBs. By the way, a guy like Frank Gore may or may not be a thug but in his case it has more to do with being Learning Disabled. I wouldn't be shocked to hear that Marshawn Lynch was as well. Sometimes the thug-like persona develops as a result of not be overly intellectual.

Now.. don't get me wrong, I still will draft a guy like Lynch or Brandon Marshall depending on where he falls, but I'm just saying I try to lean toward players who are not only talented but also have their stuff together. I mean.. we are still drafting football players and not a debate team, but I still feel like the guys who have the total package, physically and mentally, are the best to build a team around. I definitely don't expect most to agree with me here :wacko:

Edited by efi4eye

i don't specifically prepare this way, but when i've heard players interviewed it has been known to influence my opinion.

i had Chad Johnson his entire career in my dynasty league up until mid-season of 2007. the guy did a weekly spot on Sirius Radio.

after hearing him for a few weeks, i traded his ass. i don't have to explain why i'm sure. anyway, i'm glad i did.

Edited by rebdog