[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

for those about to mock

tonorator

1) Portis isn't 29 years old; he's 27. With the exception of 2006 (knee), he's never been under 1500 total yards, including last year's 1700.

Guess my late night math is a little off. :wacko:

He turns 28 on 9/1, but with 2,285 touches in 7 seasons, he may as well be 32.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess my late night math is a little off. :D

He turns 28 on 9/1, but with 2,285 touches in 7 seasons, he may as well be 32.

:wacko:

He's only at #32 on the career touches list, and will need 2 more full seasons before he even cracks the top 20.

Are you sure we're talking about the same Portis?

He's only at #32 on the career touches list, and will need 2 more full seasons before he even cracks the top 20.

Are you sure we're talking about the same Portis?

Only #32 all-time? Are you serious?

There are only three players currently in the NFL that have more touches than Portis. LaDainian Tomlinson, Fred Taylor and Jamal Lewis.

That's it, that's the list.

This Portis is due for a steep decline.

Which Portis were you referring to?

Edited by spider321

No player in the history of the NFL has had 2,285 touches in their first 7 seasons. Not one.

There are only three players in the NFL that have more touches than Portis. LaDainian Tomlinson, Fred Taylor and Jamal Lewis.

He's overdue for a steep decline.

You fail once again. Why do you make up stats?

LT had 2365 carries from 2001-2007, also add in 458 catches. Total touches in his first seven years = 2823

Emmitt Smith had 2334 carries from 1990-1996, also add in 348 catches. Total touches in his first seven years = 2682

Edge has 2188 carries from 1999-2005, also add in 356 catches. Total touches in his first seven years = 2544

I'm sure that's not even a complete list, that's just the first three names I looked at. Try again big guy.

My bad. That statement was incorrect.

I should have stated that Portis is the only player in the top 60 to have only played 7 seasons.(and he's #32)

It is still a fact that there are only three players currently in the NFL that have more touches than Portis. LaDainian Tomlinson, Fred Taylor and Jamal Lewis.

He's still due for a steep decline.

Edited by spider321

My bad. That statement was incorrect.

I should have stated that Portis is the only player in the top 60 to have only played 7 seasons.(and he's #32)

It is still a fact that there are only three players currently in the NFL that have more touches than Portis. LaDainian Tomlinson, Fred Taylor and Jamal Lewis.

He's still due for a steep decline.

While that may be true at this exact moment, if any of the following RBs sign with a team, your statement is incorrect.

Edgerrin James

Warrick Dunn

Ahman Green

Shaun Alexander

While that may be true at this exact moment, if any of the following RBs sign with a team, your statement is incorrect.

Edgerrin James

Warrick Dunn

Ahman Green

Shaun Alexander

I applaud your effort to disprove those statements as well. :wacko:

It would however remain true, that all of them, with the possible exception of Tomlinson, are pretty much washed up.

Edited by spider321

I applaud your effort to disprove those statements as well. :D

What will remain true if one or all of the players with more touches than Portis sign with a team, is that all of them, with the possible exception of LT2, are pretty much washed up.

When you get up on a batter 0 and 2, You go for the strikeout.

There are only three players currently in the NFL that have more touches than Portis. LaDainian Tomlinson, Fred Taylor and Jamal Lewis.

This Portis is due for a steep decline.

Yes, I'm serious. You did nothing to refute the facts I posted. The fact is that Portis IS at #32 on the list for career touches, and the fact is that at his current rate it will still take him another 2 years before he gets to the top 20. We won't even think about his getting into the top 10, which would take him almost another 2 years beyond that - at which point he'd be 31 yrs old.

Not only that, but his single season high for touches only places him at 67th on the all time list - meaning first that he doesn't accumulate what would be an extraordinary amount of touches in any one given year (ie - he's not being run into the ground) and second that he is remarkably consistent.

But to state simply that he is in decline simply because you say so can not be supported by the facts, and there is plenty of room for him to continue in what is currently the prime of his career.

Yes, I'm serious. You did nothing to refute the facts I posted. The fact is that Portis IS at #32 on the list for career touches, and the fact is that at his current rate it will still take him another 2 years before he gets to the top 20. We won't even think about his getting into the top 10, which would take him almost another 2 years beyond that - at which point he'd be 31 yrs old.

Not only that, but his single season high for touches only places him at 67th on the all time list - meaning first that he doesn't accumulate what would be an extraordinary amount of touches in any one given year (ie - he's not being run into the ground) and second that he is remarkably consistent.

But to state simply that he is in decline simply because you say so can not be supported by the facts, and there is plenty of room for him to continue in what is currently the prime of his career.

His mind's made up. Why bother him with silly little things like facts, guys? Never mind that LdT and Emmit (just for recent history) were workhorses right up until 30.

I wonder, this spider shows up and blitz disappears. Coincidence? :wacko:

I would say with extreme confidence that LT, Portis, Westbrook, Jackson and Jacobs all finish in the top 10 RBs this year. Add in AP, MJD, and Turner and you only have 2 spots left. I would assume Forte will probably end up somewhere in that mix, I just can't say for certain where.

Just a guess for this year and a prediction. LT and Westbrook do not end the year in the top 10. In both cases injuries take their toll.

Again this is just my opinion but both are moving into the higher risk category on my draft board.

But to state simply that he is in decline simply because you say so can not be supported by the facts...

It can be supported by comparing him to other players at his position.

Non-retired RB's with 2,285 touches or more...

Edgerrin James : washed-up, not on an NFL roster

Warrick Dunn : washed-up, not on an NFL roster

LaDainian Tomlinson : possibly washed-up

Fred Taylor : washed-up

Jamal Lewis : washed-up

Ahman Green : washed-up, not on an NFL roster

Shaun Alexander : washed-up, not on an NFL roster

Clinton Portis

...but who knows, maybe he IS Superman and won't breakdown soon. :wacko:

Edited by spider321

It can be supported by comparing him to other players at his position.

Non-retired RB's with 2,285 touches or more...

Edgerrin James : washed-up, not on an NFL roster

Warrick Dunn : washed-up, not on an NFL roster

LaDainian Tomlinson : possibly washed-up

Fred Taylor : washed-up

Jamal Lewis : washed-up

Ahman Green : washed-up, not on an NFL roster

Shaun Alexander : washed-up, not on an NFL roster

Clinton Portis

...but who knows, maybe he IS Superman and won't breakdown soon. :wacko:

Okay, so put an exact number on touches when a RB reaches "done", please. Portis at 2,285 is "done" in your mind. What number breaks the "done" threshold? 2,200? 2,000? Give us a criteria to measure all RBs by so that everyone at this board knows when a RB is "done" and shouldn't be drafted.

Okay, so put an exact number on touches when a RB reaches "done", please. Portis at 2,285 is "done" in your mind. What number breaks the "done" threshold? 2,200? 2,000? Give us a criteria to measure all RBs by so that everyone at this board knows when a RB is "done" and shouldn't be drafted.

I never stated Portis was "done", only that he is "due" for a decline.

When I discover the exact number for "doneness", I'll let you know. :wacko:

Edited by spider321

fwiw,

at the end of the 2005 season Dunn had 2374 touches(89 more than portis has now) and in 2006 Dunn rushed for 1140 yards which is the 2nd highest total in his career(2006 was also the 2nd most touches he ever had in his career 302)

Tomlinson had 2448 touches at the end of 2006 for his career...in 2007 he combined for 1949 yards and 18 TDs...last year he was fighting injury

Edge...had 2140 touches when he got to Zona in 2006...all he did in 06 and 07 for a team that is anything but committed to the run was accumulate 1376 yards and 6 TDs(06) and 1426 yards and 7 TDs(07)...I feel very confident in saying that going to Zona had more to do with the decrease in his stats than age or carries...yet he still increased his production from 06 to 07

Freddy accumulated 2323 touches thru 2006 and in 2007 put up over 1200 yards rushing while SPLITTING time with MJD...last year the Jags OLine was a joke...yet in 13 games taylor put up 143 carries for 556yards or should I say he put up just 51 yards less rushing than MJD over those same 13 weeks? Or are you actually saying that MJD is washed up too :wacko:

Jamal Lewis had 2310 touches as of the 2007 season where he put up the best numbers of his career since he logged 2066 yards rushing back in 2003(2007 1552 total yards) and in 2008 on a putrid Browns team he still was able to put up almost 1200 combined yards

i didnt even bother looking up Green or Alexander because as I recall their careers really took a nose dive due to an injury

Edited by keggerz

I never stated Portis was "done", only that he is "due" for a decline.

When I discover the exact number for "doneness", I'll let you know. :D

most RBs after just 4 or 5 years in the league are "due" for a decline...so way to step out on a limb :wacko:

fwiw,

at the end of the 2005 season Dunn had 2374 touches(89 more than portis has now) and in 2006 Dunn rushed for 1140 yards which is the 2nd highest total in his career(2006 was also the 2nd most touches he ever had in his career 302)

Tomlinson had 2448 touches at the end of 2006 for his career...in 2007 he combined for 1949 yards and 18 TDs...last year he was fighting injury

Edge...had 2140 touches when he got to Zona in 2006...all he did in 06 and 07 for a team that is anything but committed to the run was accumulate 1376 yards and 6 TDs(06) and 1426 yards and 7 TDs(07)...I feel very confident in saying that going to Zona had more to do with the decrease in his stats than age or carries...yet he still increased his production from 06 to 07

Freddy accumulated 2323 touches thru 2006 and in 2007 put up over 1200 yards rushing while SPLITTING time with MJD...last year the Jags OLine was a joke...yet in 13 games taylor put up 143 carries for 556yards or should I say he put up just 51 yards less than MJD over those same 13 weeks? Or are you actually saying that MJD is washed up too :D

Jamal Lewis had 2310 touches as of the 2007 season where he put up the best numbers of his career since he logged 2066 yards rushing back in 2003(2007 1552 total yards) and in 2008 on a putrid Browns team he still was able to put up almost 1200 combined yards

i didnt even bother looking up Green or Alexander because as I recall their careers really took a nose dive due to an injury

Ooooh, spidey - you stepped in it now, buddy.

just thought I would check out a guy like MFaulk and see what happened to him....

as of 2000 he had accumulated 2360 touches...what did he do the next couple of years?

01:2147 combined yards and 21 TDs(in 14 games)

02: 1490 and 10 not sure if this is the year he had surgery mid season and returned or not

Ooooh, spidey - you stepped in it now, buddy.

well he is sorta right but he does a pretty poor job presenting his point...the thing is that most of those RBs get to that touch level around the age of 30...so he has to prove it isnt age and is touches and I dont know if he can do that...but in my mind it does have more to do with age and less with carries but I wont state that definitively since it cant really be proven...the thing is that RBs get injured at a pretty good clip...yet it is easy to point to the over 30 crowd and blame it on their age...maybe it is of maybe it is just the law of averages catching up with guys that played their career mostly injury free(Freddy we arent talking about you)....but to draw a line in the sand and say he is DONE because of that is just foolish...there are so many more variables including the team aspect...we do all remember this is a team sport dont we? (just look to Zona and Jax as reference points for how a team can affect a runners numbers)

edit: anyone want to take a look at Tiki's numbers after 2400 touches?(1662+465=2127 yards 2nd highest of his career)

Edited by keggerz

just thought I would check out a guy like MFaulk and see what happened to him....

as of 2000 he had accumulated 2360 touches...what did he do the next couple of years?

01:2147 combined yards and 21 TDs(in 14 games)

02: 1490 and 10 not sure if this is the year he had surgery mid season and returned or not

I knew my numbers guy would male it here eventually. :wacko: