[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Rooney Rule

nuke'em ttg

Being a dick knows no color.

True, but when your trying to overcome hardened stereotypes I believe you have to go out of your way to stay as far away from them as possible while maintaining your identity and individualism. I do believe the benefit of the doubt is earned as much as it is given. I try to teach my son that same virtue as my father taught me.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cowboys1, you have very eloquently stated things and have presented a highly cohesive argument although I disagree with you slightly in that we need to be working for a way past AA and quotas, not relying on them. something I'm sure you agree with, just haven't necessarily stated.

However, misspelling "ridiculous" continuously does serve as an example of why you're a Cowboys fan and also serves to undermine your argument. :wacko:

Cowboys1, you have very eloquently stated things and have presented a highly cohesive argument although I disagree with you slightly in that we need to be working for a way past AA and quotas, not relying on them. something I'm sure you agree with, just haven't necessarily stated.

However, misspelling "ridiculous" continuously does serve as an example of why you're a Cowboys fan and also serves to undermine your argument. :wacko:

+ won

However, misspelling "ridiculous" continuously does serve as an example of why you're a Cowboys fan and also serves to undermine your argument. :D

Noted.........as much as I have been typing I don't bother to spell check sorry. I think my point is made though in a fairly understandable way. I am quite sure those are not all the spelling mistakes and spelling was never one of my strong suits.

I do agree that we have to find a way past the programs but until someone comes up with a better idea then we have to make due. The best solution is to stop discriminating. Although that is a very difficult task indeed. More importantly we all have to be proactive in the effort. Conversations like this one help. So thanks for keeping this dialog open and civil. :wacko:

The Rooney Rule should exist and be used in every hire. That said...It is what it is. There is no fixing it or fine tuning. Owners want to win and will hire those they think are qualified to get them more wins than others. It's their billion $$$ toy so they have the last say. I honestly think the rule is as good as it gets. The best thing that happens without a hire is other owners get exposed to names and resumes they would not have thought of. Being that there is only 32 jobs of this kind in the world, that's pretty good.

Asinine. Absoultely asinine. And as far as your point with firefighters... More hogwash. The more qualified applicant should get the job. I don't care if they are black, brown, white, or purple, I want the best person for the job in place. Anytime you pick a race over another race because of an injustice years ago that neither the white/black/purple person was a part of is retarded. What did the white person that is applying do to deserve to get the shaft? What did they have to do with what happened 200 years ago? Nothing. But since it happened to someones family long ago, they think they deserve or are owed something. Flawed thinking for sure.

Except for the fact that is does still exist.

I'll never sit here and pretend to know what a black man goes through on a day to day basis. I have seen cases with my own eyes, but I cannot "feel" it. And who am I to judge what a race should think or feel because "200 years" have passed.

My father was a racist. I know I was raised in that household. I know that some of his tendencies are ingrained in me without fault of my own. I recognize that and vow not to ever pass those on to my children. I recognize that and I DO NOT act on it. EVER. And that is how I try and eliminate it from my blood.

I'll never sit here and pretend to know what a black man goes through on a day to day basis. I have seen cases with my own eyes, but I cannot "feel" it. And who am I to judge what a race should think or feel because "200 years" have passed.

My father was a racist. I know I was raised in that household. I know that some of his tendencies are ingrained in me without fault of my own. I recognize that and vow not to ever pass those on to my children. I recognize that and I DO NOT act on it. EVER. And that is how I try and eliminate it from my blood.

Here in South Carolina there are plenty of "good ol boys" bars that are called private clubs so they can keep black people out. It's a great loophole for racism.

Here in South Carolina there are plenty of "good ol boys" bars that are called private clubs so they can keep black people out. It's a great loophole for racism.

I hate when "private clubs" are used in that context. I run a private, members only country club, and the only color that matters is the green of their money. Then again, I live in the frigid north . .:wacko:

Excellent, just excellent. I admire your honesty and commitment to your kids. That is exactly the kind of thought that makes change. Thank you for your thoughts. :wacko:

Some of you need to watch the AFL history on NFL network. It shows that as recent as the 1960's blacks that played had a horrible time. Lenny Dawson said that his wife and family sat on the 50 yardline while his black counterpart's family had to sit in a roped off section of the endzone. And some of you want to say we are on equal playing field. Come on now.