[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top Chef Night: Quickdinner Challenge

policyvote

Okay, so Mrs. Policyvote came up with a great idea: since she'll be taking the kids to swim class in the early evening, she'll buy a few key ingredients and keep them secret from me. Then when I come home, I'll be charged with making a dinner that features those ingredients by the time she gets home. I'm really excited to see how I do. I'll post 'em up when I'm done.

Peace

policy

Okay, so Mrs. Policyvote came up with a great idea: since she'll be taking the kids to swim class in the early evening, she'll buy a few key ingredients and keep them secret from me. Then when I come home, I'll be charged with making a dinner that features those ingredients by the time she gets home. I'm really excited to see how I do. I'll post 'em up when I'm done.

Peace

policy

Sounds like good fun. I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

Okay, here's how I did. First, the sack of goodies. My wife said she went "pretty safe" for the first time around.

http://tweetphoto.com/31377945

Eggs, havarti cheese, a sweet onion, applesauce, and a zucchini she picked from our garden.

With eggs as the protein, I wanted to pick a form that I could do most of the prep work for, then serve a la minute, so I picked omelettes. Given how brutally hot it is outside, I wanted to have something cool as a side. I sort-of-quasi-julienned the zucchini, along with some pan squash from the farmers' market. I was looking to impart flavor without cooking, so I went for acid. I cut the applesauce with ponzu (had to experiment with ratios), tossed it together with the zucchini and squash, and put it in the fridge to soak up the flavors.

Meanwhile, I fried up some smoked bacon I had, and reserved the fat. I sliced the onion, and jullienned a jalapeno. I caramelized the onion and jalapeno in the bacon fat, while chopping the bacon and shredding the havarti. The kids came home about then, so I cracked and beat the eggs, adding a bit of salt, pepper, and a splash of milk (as I am wont to do). After plating a bed of salad greens (bought pre-mixed from the farmer's market a couple days ago), I yoinked the zucchini/squash from the fridge, tossed it again, and then laid it on top of the greens. Then I simply made the omelettes, with the bacon, havarti, and caramelized onions & jalapeno.

the "beauty" plate (composed in a furious rush, this was dinner for five after all):

http://tweetphoto.com/31378554

Yes, I have the knife skills of an orangutan.

Anyway, the meal was well-received. The omelette was great. The bacon and cheese were perfect together. The onions and jalapeno were actually a touch too sweet; I probably needed a little more jalapeno to get the flavor I was going for--though "too sweet" is the direction I wanted to err in, given that I was cooking for my kids. The salad I liked, though again my chopping/julienning/whatever was really clumsy. I also should have plated the salad last, because the "cold" salad heated up to "not hot" in just the few minutes it was out.

This was an encouraging start; the Mrs. was thrilled. She LOVED the omelette, and didn't think it was too sweet at all. I'm curious to see what the she has in store for next week.

Peace

Ty

Edited by policyvote

Awesome. I've talked about doing something like this with the wife but have never put it into action. I'm going to revisit this with her.

I wish I had some more culinary skills. I mean I love to eat. I like to cook. How can I be such a dolt to how to make them go together in perfect harmony?

I think while I am off work I am going to see if I can get into some community college cooking classes. At the very least a wine class that I can get all hopped up in.

Oh and what I meant to post what that this sounds really cool, Policy. :wacko:

Edited by Skippy