[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cowboys’ Bryant will catch passes, not carry pads

buddahj

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, but I still disagree. Taking RW out of the equation, and if or if not he has alterior motives, it comes down to earning your stripes with the vets. Either you do or you dont. Respect is something you have to earn. I assume you have been in a locker room. There is a hierarchy and you have to earn peoples respect on and off the field. It doenst matter if you're drafted 1st or last, the vets want to see who has character and who doesnt. As a rookie if you decline to carry a vets pads its your choice. Just dont cry and moan when it becomes a thing and the requests get worse and more frequent. This is a test and nothing more. He failed.

I agree with those who say this isnot a big deal one way or the other but if a rookie wants to earn the respect of the vets, all he has to do is perform. Believe me, if Bryant plays well, the vets won't even remember that he wouldn't carry Williams pads.

Honestly though, I think the person doing the hazing needs to have the respect of the person they are hazing as well. In other words, I wonder how Bryant would have handled being hazed by a productive Veteran? Could you imagine a Rookie Qb who was a 1st rd pick, being hazed by JaMarcus Russel?

Who cares?

I think a lot of it has to do with Dez Bryant making headlines for the wrong reason...

When he was drafted the questions started about him being able to stay out of the spot light with stuff like this.

He made a big deal about the dolphins interview, showed up to the first MC out of shape, now he's not respecting vets.

I get that he's in competetion mode and his putting everyone on notice. I respect that aspect, but at the very least, earn your stripes at least for the coaches and management that brought you in. Don't give the media anything to run with. Think.

But after hearing his comment "I didn't know nothin about no pads" I highly doubt thinking is something that happens on a regular basis.

At least he's big and fast.

Hopefully he doesn't gain the punt return job, and someone like Ogletree or Crayton does. According to the radio, he began one punt return by running backwards in an attempt to outrun the coverage... Dude, this is the big leagues, not freaking college.

I want to see routes ran and balls caught. If his ceiling is as high as they say, put someone else back to return kicks.

Edited by Charles

IMO Roy Williams will be the wr to own outta these 2 guys

I have a hard time disagreeing with this statement... for this year. I can't imagine that Roy will allow a rookie to come in and take his job, just like I can't imagine Jerry will allow his ego to be further damaged by looking down the sideline to see Roy on the bench. I can't say I'd be shocked if Dez has better stats come January than Roy, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Longhorn show up where a lot of FF players might not expect to see him.

Edited by Charles

I did not read the replies in this thread as I don't want to be swayed on how I feel.

I think this is already an indication that Bryant thinks he is some sort of prima donna. I have been around many camps and have seen many great rookies come through and they all pay dues to the vets. It is part of passage and builds your bond with the team. I think Bryant screwed up here.

• 2 months later...