[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kevin Kolb

AcesWild

Before the season started, it seemed like everyone had faith in Kolb as a legitmate quarterback...Then in his first game he struggled through the first half and lost his spot to Vick. Now that Vick is hurt for at least two games does Kolb have much fantasy value? He was poor last week too, but he has weapons around him and people didn't seem to question his talent before the season started. Do you think we have too quickly dismissed him and he could pick it back up and be a viable fantasy quarterback over the next few weeks (and possibly more)?

I personally think he can be. He looked bad as an NFL QB but should be a more than okay fantasy option that keeps you in the game, in-case you're injury ravaged at the position or playing in multi-QB leagues. The inevitable return of Vick limits his viability as a long-term starter. It's going to take any first-time starter time to adjust, and I'm willing to give him another game to show what he can do; but unless he drastically improves as a 'real-life' QB, his stint as a starter may be short-lived.

About the only mistake I made in my big money league draft this year was drafting Kolb as my starter - luckily the very next round I drafted Matt Ryan in case I was wrong about Kolb. After watching Kolb last week, I can say I was wrong about Kolb. He looked TERRIBLE. DeSean was open several times and Kolb checked it down each time. He has no field vision and cannot play against zone coverage. I don't see how that can change in a week unless he just packed it in during last week's meetings since he got demoted.

Guys, it was the wind that kept Kolb "checking down" and throwing short all day. His ball just doesn't cut as well as most. I think the Eagles realized this early on and did not ask him to throw downfield to avoid interceptions.

So I don't see last weeks audition as an indictment of his ability "necessarily", but was an indictment about his arm strength which was never considered great to begin with.

That being said, the guy is not in a great spot right now, and it seems clear he is not the guy you thought he was when you took him in the 7th, and I am lowering my expectations for the Eagles offense as such.

That being said, if Vick's injury lingers, and there is every reason to believe it will, I can't discount the possility of Kolb "picking it up." I wouldn't drop anybody that has been solid for him though.

He looked like a deer in the headlights, maybe a week of practice and knowing for sure he is going to start will help: unless a blimp lands midway through the first quarter and Jeff Garcia jumps out!

it's the OL....they can't handle a blitz and usually someone will get in clean...

I don't know any QB that wins in this offense other than Peyton right now...or Brady, because they can make strong adjustments on the fly as far as protection and reading the defense...

I don't know if I would trust any other QB in the NFL right now running this offense as the OL is terribly horrible...

it's the OL....they can't handle a blitz and usually someone will get in clean...

I don't know any QB that wins in this offense other than Peyton right now...or Brady, because they can make strong adjustments on the fly as far as protection and reading the defense...

I don't know if I would trust any other QB in the NFL right now running this offense as the OL is terribly horrible...

+1 from watching most of the Philly game Sunday.

What concerned me regarding Kolb was that even when they gave him protection, he wasn't throwing to the receivers down field. But honestly, most of that occurred late in the 4th quarter. Before that he had had someone in his face almost immediately on most plays and was checking down out of necessity.

Also he was off target on a number of throws, but I think if the line were better, we'd be singing a different tune about Kolb.

+1 from watching most of the Philly game Sunday.

What concerned me regarding Kolb was that even when they gave him protection, he wasn't throwing to the receivers down field. But honestly, most of that occurred late in the 4th quarter. Before that he had had someone in his face almost immediately on most plays and was checking down out of necessity.

Also he was off target on a number of throws, but I think if the line were better, we'd be singing a different tune about Kolb.

yuup...he actually showed me something on Sunday...

I feel the complete opposite about Kolb right now....

the Eagles need to run 2TE sets and I think the problem will be solved...if they run Mills and Celek at TE..one on each side of the line then the opposing D should have much more trouble getting to Kolb...

First off.... he didn't get a full week to prepare for the game as a starter and got limited reps.

Secondly.... the key plays in an Eagles offense with Vick are the ones they repped over and over last week and when Kolb is inserted, the key plays are a bit different.... I know, Vick did great when inserted the first week, but he has a tool that no other QB in the NFL has, like running around the corner and beating LB's and DB's to the edge...

Thirdly..... if you just break down the film and DON'T listen to the commentators, your opinion may be different. They show shots of guys being open, but if Kolb already sets his feet to throw left, of course the safety is going to go that way instead of to the right like the showed mulitiple times.

Vick is more dynamic and causes more fits, but the element with Vick, like we saw this week, is when you play QB like a RB, you are bound to get banged up like a RB.....

Kolb hasn't gotten a fair shake yet and I don't see why Philly wouldn't keep him the starter if they are "rebuilding" this year like most had anticipated. I seem to remember a certain Manning guy who really struggled in the league his first couple of years....... he turned out pretty well!!!

Guys, it was the wind that kept Kolb "checking down" and throwing short all day. His ball just doesn't cut as well as most. I think the Eagles realized this early on and did not ask him to throw downfield to avoid interceptions.

Not to mention that the Skins were easily focusing their D on taking away the Eagles downfield attack.

Thirdly..... if you just break down the film and DON'T listen to the commentators, your opinion may be different. They show shots of guys being open, but if Kolb already sets his feet to throw left, of course the safety is going to go that way instead of to the right like the showed mulitiple times.

A big pet peeve of mine is how announcers will say such and such was open, look....they show a still shot or a slo-mo replay...everything looks so much easier in slo-mo or in stills...what they fail to point out is what read that open receiver was....was he his 3rd read with a mad rush coming? was he the hot read that he didn't get it out to? stuff drives me crazy....and I am not just talking about with Kolb but with all QBs.

Edited by keggerz

Not to mention that the Skins were easily focusing their D on taking away the Eagles downfield attack.

A big pet peeve of mine is how announcers will say such and such was open, look....they show a still shot or a slo-mo replay...everything looks so much easier in slo-mo or in stills...what they fail to point out is what read that open receiver was....was he his 3rd read with a mad rush coming? was he the hot read that he didn't get it out to? stuff drives me crazy....and I am not just talking about with Kolb but with all QBs.

In this case the 'announcer' was hall of fame QB, Troy Aikmen. It's not like Dan Dierdorf was calling him out. It was another QB who knows what to look for.

First off.... he didn't get a full week to prepare for the game as a starter and got limited reps.

He's actually missed three weeks of practice since Vick prepared as starter for weeks 2 (injury) and 3 (flip-flop). Timing and precision are going to struggle with a three week lapse in consistent work. Toss in the wind and the pass rush (which is a much bigger concern to me) and I am not ready to give up on Kolb. You gotta love the weapons he has available so it's worth some patience and/or bye week or injury cover.

Yeah I think some real reps and the fact that there's no pressure anymore - Reid said Vick is No. 1 no matter what - will let Kolb relax and just play.

Now if Kolb doesn't start hitting his dynamic WRs soon I'm going to start wondering if he's another Grossman. All the tools, smarts, but just never comfortable as an NFL starter.