[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trade Strategies

Rovers

I tend to use the Boyce approach. I offer you guys that are no longer playing in the NFL in hopes that I catch you plastered at your computer and get a drunk I accept out of you

There has never been a more well written, more accurate, absolutely perfect response on these boards. Ever.

I'm in two leagues with boyce, and the offers go from bad to worse. It seems to work for him though. Throw out 3,000 offers of complete trash for a stud, and maybe one will get accepted. If it does, you're ahead of the game.

i have found never to rely or anticipate a trade....at least in the leagues ive been in ....there are only maybe 3 trades a year (1 so far this year), i remember laughing in my mind at this kid in my draft last year who took peyton and brady super early and said after brady pick..."for trading purposes"

, i dont know about the leagues you are in, but in mine there are VERY few trades.

i know personally if somebody low balls me or proposes what i think is an insulting trade offer i just reject it and x it out...

most of the deals i propose are 2 or 3 of my guys for 1 of their guys...most of the time i need an upgrade not a replacement.....so i think giving somebody say 2 rbs for 1 rb or a wr and rb for a rb or wr are great ways to lure potential traders into accepting

I:

- don't send lowball offers (caveat: some values vary, but it's not intentional). Don't like to get the offers, so try not to send them.

- look for partners that fill a need for both sides.

- have no issue "overpaying" for a guy I want.

- use draft picks as deal sweeteners. I never have a top 5 pick anyways.

- generally send the offer I expect to be accepted.

- make them an offer that they can't refuse or if they do, they aren't sure that they should have

- prefer not to haggle much, not worth my time to counter 10 times for a penny return

- trade for core players as much as possible, rotatable parts are expendible

- overvalue my guys, I know this and not ashamed to admit it

- don't have to "win" a trade

- usually respond within 24 hours of an offer, either the offer helps me or it doesn't

- keep them guessing, some years I prefer draft picks and other years I want the aging stud

- gather a good mix of youth, middling guys, and crusty old dudes

- play to win every year

- am not the shiny new toy owner, crusty old guys got to be crusty old guys because they are good, not every shiny new toy gets to become a crusty old guy. In fact, the odds are against them.

i remember laughing in my mind at this kid in my draft last year who took peyton and brady super early and said after brady pick..."for trading purposes"

One guy in my 14-team redraft did that. He drafted Brady and then Rivers and bragged about how everyone's going to be coming to him for a QB at some point. I ended up drafting Dallas Clark and Vernon Davis with the intent that I could trade one, but we have a flex and I was able to start both TEs every week. The other guy usually had huge points from Brady or Rivers on his bench, when he could have drafted someone like Maclin instead. He ended up trading Brady for Randy Moss in week 4.

In my redraft leagues I am good to trade with because I package multiple good players after looking at your needs and I go for only 1 of your upper tier guys.

If we were to put 1-10 rankings on players I would offer you 3 7's for 1 10 or 2 8's for one 10.

My strategy has always been to post a message stating what I am looking for without actually listing player names and offer my entire roster up for trade. I know its a weird trade but when someone comes to me for a trade they have to speculate what I want and what they want, which can give me an advantage over them. Every FF player thinks differently and may offer a trade that that you love or hate. Sometimes I get a really good trades and take them to my advantage other times I counter or just say no.

I use this strategy because both the leagues im in are with personal friends and there is a lot of money on the line so no one likes to trade :wacko:

Edited by doing_it_live

I almost never send trades across the computer. I always put out a "feeler" phone call first. Why waste the time of going through the whole process just to find that the owner over-values his players and isn't fond of yours?

If a player has a plethora of extra wide receivers, and I'm in need, I'll call him. I'll try to find out who he might be comfortable getting rid of, and what he is thinking it might take to get something done, then play from there, and send offers from there.