[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

In-game Injury Replacements

Balzac

Anyone know if any platform allows you to select injury replacements/subs for any given week? For example, it would be great if you could simply rank your bench players in order of preferred subbing so you could swap them in if a starter gets knocked out of a game (e.g., for Hines Ward a couple weeks back, you'd be able to get production amassed by a designated bench WRs for the last 3 Qs of their respective game). Losing players like that is completely unfair and flukish - there's gotta be a way around it.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if any platform allows you to select injury replacements/subs for any given week? For example, it would be great if you could simply rank your bench players in order of preferred subbing so you could swap them in if a starter gets knocked out of a game (e.g., for Hines Ward a couple weeks back, you'd be able to get production amassed by a designated bench WRs for the last 3 Qs of their respective game). Losing players like that is completely unfair and flukish - there's gotta be a way around it.

If you don't like unfair and flukish then fantasy football isnt for you

If you don't like unfair and flukish then fantasy football isnt for you

Helpful/funny (not really). In any event, there are unfair and flukish things you can fix and there are ones that you can't - this is one that could be fixed pretty easily, I think. Losing production for a player for an entire game is asinine and bears no real-life relevance whatsoever (contrast with a player simply having a crappy game, which does have real life relevance because it happens all the time). If an NFL coach can sub someone in, why shouldn't we be able to?

:wacko:

I'm trying to place where I saw that reaction recently in my living room - OH YEAH! It was my reaction to seeing the look on Manning's face Sunday evening after he threw that 4th Q pick . . .

There's "team" option, like TMQB so you get all the points from every QB on one team. It's sort of what you're talking about. I suppose your question would be more relevant to 53-man teams.

Close but not quite what I mean (I find team options to be boring) - I just really hate that matchups can be thrown so far off by freakish occurrences like injuries that (for the most part) can't be predicted. If you had an injury prone player, it would then be on you to make sure that you had a viable backup option ready to sub in. Benches become more relevant, which I could dig. I guess it would require expansion of conventional rosters but so be it.

:wacko:

sick game though - not sure how common heart attacks are for 35 year olds but they almost became quite common in my house . . .

:wacko: pot meet kettle :tup:

My point was that you can defend yourself - Teddy chiming in with a box score from 9 weeks ago against a team we're not even talking about bore no relevance to our discussion whatsoever.

And post #5 was relevant to this thread how? :wacko:

isn't it obvious? because I said so!

it's the Rule of Direct Responses (which I may or may not have made up just now) - it states, "thou shalt not horn in on another person's argument unless you are directly insulted and your response is directly related to such insult." In short, ted had no standing there.

I know what you're getting at but there is no way to manage this. What about all those games where a player gets knocked out in the first quarter and their return is questionable. If that player steps on the field for 1 snap in the 4th quarter does that mean you're stuck with their total points? What if a player gets benched after a fumble in the first quarter and never sees the field again? Who would be the people managing the back end of this?

Think about it - the logistics would never work. When would you be allowed to sub a player in? Only if the player has no chance whatsoever of coming back in? Who's call would that be? What happens if you sub for a player and then they come back in? If a player is not playing well would you be able to sub them out?

A substitute system would completely devalue the skill of picking your lineup. The whole point of fantasy games is to predict how players you have no control over will behave. You may think it asinine, but injuries are one of the inherent difference between fantasy and real football. If you believe that a fantasy manager should have the same power that a real manager has, do you think fantasy managers should get to control the distributions of touches too?

Injuries are part of the game.

I know what you're getting at but there is no way to manage this. What about all those games where a player gets knocked out in the first quarter and their return is questionable. If that player steps on the field for 1 snap in the 4th quarter does that mean you're stuck with their total points? What if a player gets benched after a fumble in the first quarter and never sees the field again? Who would be the people managing the back end of this?

Would only apply to injuries - performance related benching is a risk that managers should be aware of going in (i.e., don't play a guy whose grasp on their job is tenuous even if healthy). If a guy remains in the game and plays another snap, you're SOL. Not the fairest thing in the world but it's better than nothing because you're shrinking the universe of crappy, unforeseeable injuries.

Not really here to debate this, because injuries are part of football, so no it is not "unfair", when the goal of this game is to try to predict performance. Just like any good game, where there is potential for reward, there is also the potential for risk.

But MFL does offer an option for "backup players" in case you're guy is a game-time scratch, which I think is fair for those who can't be near a computer at gametime... But nobody has had the balls to test it out yet. Anyone seen this feature actually work?

Edited by delusions of granduer

Think about it - the logistics would never work. When would you be allowed to sub a player in? Only if the player has no chance whatsoever of coming back in? Who's call would that be? What happens if you sub for a player and then they come back in? If a player is not playing well would you be able to sub them out?

only if he doesn't actually come back into the game - you wouldn't know until the end of the game whether you get your replacement player's stats

A substitute system would completely devalue the skill of picking your lineup. The whole point of fantasy games is to predict how players you have no control over will behave. You may think it asinine, but injuries are one of the inherent difference between fantasy and real football. If you believe that a fantasy manager should have the same power that a real manager has, do you think fantasy managers should get to control the distributions of touches too?

so you're saying there's a modicum of skill involved in predicting whether a normally extremely durable player like Hines Ward is going to miss a game due to injury? your point about touches is ridiculous. you play who you play and you get the stats mandated by the touches allowed by their coach (and we have a general idea of how many touches a guy will get going in, which is part of what we all look at when evaluating players on a weekly basis). injuries are a completely separate issue that can't be controlled by anyone.

Injuries are part of the game.

They're part of the real game, but so are substitutions. Sorry but I don't accept "it's part of the game" in reference to the fantasy game when it can be fixed.

Not really here to debate this, because injuries are part of football, so no it is not "unfair", when the goal of this game is to try to predict performance. Just like any good game, where there is potential for reward, there is also the potential for risk.

But MFL does offer an option for "backup players" in case you're guy is a game-time scratch, which I think is fair for those who can't be near a computer at gametime... But nobody has had the balls to test it out yet. Anyone seen this feature actually work?

I've heard of that but I don't really like it. Don't start players who are GTDs - seems pretty simple to me. What I'm getting at is the completely unpredictable mid-game injury, which there is no way to predict or plan for.

I used to be in a league where we would submit one back-up for each position. If the player DID NOT PLAY at all, you would get your back-up. If he played one snap, and got hurt, you're out of luck. We also used the combined points from the back-ups to break ties.

I think this is a great idea but am not sure how it could be implemented.

Player A leaves because of injury for the rest of the game (this can be tracked) you get his points. If he leaves and then comes back in, then he is not considered injured.

Now the part that would be tricky is how to handle the backup. I assume he could be on any team, just needs to be the same position and on your roster.

You could rank your players in order that you want them to be substituted, that would be no problem.

But how do you score them? You can't use their total points, since they are only playing part of a game (fantasy-wise). You would need to look at the time of the injury and give the sub player credit for the stats after that point, but I don't think stats give that level of detail... Anyway, I like the idea.

Edited by LonDog