[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Owners ratify settlement

DMD

While NFL owners laid out a schedule for things to move forward yesterday after ratifying a settlement to end the lockout - one which would have opened team facilities tomorrow for meetings and such - the schedule was contingent on the NFLPA Executive committee approving the settlement and the full player membership giving it the OK as well.

That hasn't happened yet. And it looks like it won't until Monday at the earliest.

In an email to player reps obtained by ESPN, they've been told that the proposal is under review and to sit tight through the weekend.

Here's what the letter said in part:

“Our recommendation is for everyone to stay put and keep doing what you are doing where you are doing it. We will meet again Monday to discuss our options and the direction we want to go. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us. Your player reps.”

link

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can post a bunch more similar links, DoG.

I especially love the backpeddling and official denials after a union rep let the cat out of the bag. Hey, once the trousers are down and around the ankles, it's awfully hard to put the snake back in the bag and pretend you weren't hanging out for the world to see - except for certain gullible parties, I guess.

Cheers!

:wacko:

How's that purple drank, GB?

Obviously you didn't see my reply here:

This definitely irks me. The players keep saying that they'll only certify on their own watch, and that "this is not our deadline"... No, this isn't YOUR deadline, it's THE deadline. You're all about to start losing $250 million a week if preseason games get lost (not to mention increasing the frustration and alienation of fans and everyone), so it doesn't seem too unreasonable for the owners to say "we agree to this deal if you guys get your butts in gear and meet these necessary steps before we all start losing money"...

I don't buy that their forcing to do the union to do anything, other than expressing their sense of urgency (which is very real) to get this resolved ASAP.

That doesn't mean that you're not still full of it in believing what you want to believe about the players side. Everything you quoted does not suggest anything but they're not ready to deal just yet, not that they're using Kraft's wife's passing as an excuse not to work on getting a deal done. But I love how when backed up in a corner you go for the attack on the things that I actually agree with you about, rather than just admitting that you were embelishing the situation around Kraft's wife.

. But I love how when backed up in a corner you go for the attack on the things that I actually agree with you about, rather than just admitting that you were embelishing the situation around Kraft's wife.

So it was someone with your handle and password that hijacked your account and wrote this?

Where did they say that they weren't still reading, meeting and discussing or even still voting on the proposal?

So it was someone with your handle and password that hijacked your account and wrote this?

I can only go by what's being reported, not imaginary stories about the player's using an owners' wife's death as an excuse, so I apologize. Seriously, this is the most freaking stupid argument I've ever been a part of, and I have no idea what point you're trying to prove; But here's what I'm going off of, reports:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports "major progress" has been made in Saturday's CBA negotiations, and that the NFLPA* Executive Committee will meet on Monday and likely recommend ratification of the agreement.

As we've learned the hard way in recent days, it's best not to get too excited until the deal is actually done, but the finish line is as close as it has ever been. NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports free agency could begin "around" Wednesday, with training camps following on Friday.

Seriously, unless your point is that the players are holding this up (wow, no SHAM WOW!), you seem to be just arguing and using the Myra Kraft argument just for the sake of arguing and placing blame. "There ain't no good guy, there ain't no bad guy, there's only BB and me, and he just disagrees..."

If the players are to have been believed Thursday evening one wonders what they are going to ratify. Will it be the proposal that was so altered by the owners that the players intended war, or will it be the original proposal? Certainly it cannot be the former unacceptable altered one, and if the latter we will still have no meeting of the minds. We will have each side haing agreed to something completely different. Or is it that their posturing was FOS and both sides will have ratified the same, original, unaltered document.

Some of those precipitious loudmouths may owe the owners an apology. They won't make it, likely, but they will owe it. If this settles, as I assume it will, it will only be because the owners had the maturity to not fire back at the loudmouths and the ESPN hacks who so prominently spouted the players unbelievable and apparently untrue propoganda.

At least poor Mrs. Kraft can rest easy knowing that the Vonnie Hollidays, Heath Evanses, and Ochocincos of the world saw fit to respect her day of memorial. I know I was touched by their gesture of respect which was in no way offered to try to take the focus off of their pathetic and unfounded character assasination of the owners.

Looks like football is back. Now I can go back to rooting for my wife beaters and drunks against your sexual deviants.

Go Pack go.

Go Broncos.

Mort said the lockout would be over on Monday and that De Smith and Goddell have made sure nothing has gone off path.

Finally. Now we can stop this silly bickering about owner/labor relations and get back to silly bickering about football.

Sure hope this is correct.

Regarding the players not having the contracts... my wife said, "well, maybe they do, but don't have some one to read it to them."

This crossed my mind too asking some fo these guys to read 250+ pages in 2 nights is asking a lot. Then I started thinking that TO could help make a kids book with lots of pictures...

Do we have any idea what the general terms being agreed to are at this point? Points I'm interested in:

% for each side

"off the top" money

rookie wage scale/slotting

post-career health

One thing I feel is interesting is the idea of 32 people having weeks to prepare the document, and know what's in the agreement b/c they wrote it. Now, turning it over to the other side in the agreement process, the players are expected to immediately turn around and agree to the terms? I agree with the points about having somebody read this stuff to them too.

If I'm Sam Bradford or Justin King, what do I need to know as a player about this deal? Why is it good for me, now and in the future?

No one would expect the players to be able to immediately digest the entirety of the new CBA (perhaps or even comprehend it) but that is why De Smith and the rest of the legal counsel is there representing them and negotiating on their behalf. It is doubtful that any owner read all 250 pages. That is legitimately what you pay an attorney and his crew to do on your behalf. And as they are working on your behalf, they should both be apprised of your desires and needs going into the process and be in constant communications as to where it all stands.

<sigh>

And on and on it goes.......

One thing I find hilarious is the hypocricy of the owners. After their vote on Thursday and during their press conferences, they kept mentioning that they just wanted to get back to playing football. Substitute "playing football" with "making money", and there's your truth. It's very depressing.

Edited by Skilly

<sigh>

And on and on it goes.......

One thing I find hilarious is the hypocricy of the owners. After their vote on Thursday and during their press conferences, they kept mentioning that they just wanted to get back to playing football. Substitute "playing football" with "making money", and there's your truth. It's very depressing.

Let's be more accurate - both sides mean "making money" when they say "play football". Why is it any more depressing on either side?