[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Draft Questions - How Do You Run It?

overworkedirish

Hey guys.

We run a 10-man league with a snake draft on ESPN. My question is... well, let's be real. I was league champion last year, and I'm trying to convince my Commissioner that snake positioning in this year's draft should actually follow the sequential order of how each of us placed in the league. Because I want Arian Foster at #1.

Am I just talking out of my ass or is this standard practice?

Hey guys.

We run a 10-man league with a snake draft on ESPN. My question is... well, let's be real. I was league champion last year, and I'm trying to convince my Commissioner that snake positioning in this year's draft should actually follow the sequential order of how each of us placed in the league. Because I want Arian Foster at #1.

Am I just talking out of my ass or is this standard practice?

You're being a turd ferguson. No offense.

Unless the rules were agreed upon prior to last year, you look like a guy trying to bend the rules to suit yourself. Bad form for FF.

Yeah...the rule would most definitely need to be made in advance. If its a redraft league then I would think the order would be random. I run a 2 player keeper league on ESPN and my draft order is worst to first from the previous year.

In a non-keeper league, previous year's finish should have no affect whatsoever on the current season. Random draw/diceroll etc. if it is a live draft, either draw spots from a hat at the draft, or if your league prefers to determine draft order ahead of time, have everyone do an online dice roll where high roll picks their draft slot, then 2nd highest roll picks theirs, etc.

So, as CD gently put it, you are being a Turd Ferguson trying to push for this.

Also, generally speaking, for leagues that do use the previous year's standings (most common in keeper/dynasty leagues) draft order is in reverse order of standings, so you would get the #10 pick as league champ.

If you want to make it a bit more interesting, have the draw be for the rights to pick your draft spot. If you get the first "pick" you can still choose #1 if you want, but maybe you like #3 better so as to play the swing. Instead of getting #5, you choose 10th to capitalize on a WR/WR strategy.

I actually have no problem in a redraft with what you propose, it's kind of a neat reward, but you can't really expect to pass it this year to your benefit. Propose it for next year. Since there is no keeper factor there's no "rich getting richer" concern either.

I'll leave it at what Chief Dick said, he's much less harsh than I would be.

I like the idea of picking your own draft spot in a traditional snake redraft. Is there a more outside the box, equitable way of running a straight redraft other than the snake? Seems like there are some huge gaps between picks in a snake draft as well as some unfair early advantages given to the higher picks. We have been in a keeper league for years....going back to a straight redraft - looking for ideas.

Anyone use a non-traditional redraft format that seems to be more equitable for all players?

Thanks.

If you want to make it a bit more interesting, have the draw be for the rights to pick your draft spot. If you get the first "pick" you can still choose #1 if you want, but maybe you like #3 better so as to play the swing. Instead of getting #5, you choose 10th to capitalize on a WR/WR strategy.

I actually have no problem in a redraft with what you propose, it's kind of a neat reward, but you can't really expect to pass it this year to your benefit. Propose it for next year. Since there is no keeper factor there's no "rich getting richer" concern either.

I'll leave it at what Chief Dick said, he's much less harsh than I would be.

This! Implemented the "pick your spot" format in both locals last year after reading about it on a Huddle post, and it has been the most popular change-up in YEARS! A great way to add a little more strategy into the draft without shaking things up too much. Not as big a deal if you draw the last couple of selections, but you still follow closely to see where you end up picking. In one league we hold the lottery a month before the draft and give everybody one day each to determine their spots. This way the draft order is set in 16 days and we still have 2 weeks to work out trades. In the other, we draw 30 minutes before the draft and give each owner 1 minute to select, with 14 minutes to work out trades. It works because everybody is drafting in person. It's a rush, but kind of like NFL free-agency this year!