[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What percentage of the cap did people bid on Alfred Morris?

Eagle2003

I was mad at myself in my league. We have a rule that if nobody bids against you, you made the only claim on said player, that it costs nothing regardless of your bid. I didn't really have much interest in Morris, especially for the 20-30/100 I expected him to go for. Well the guy that got him bid $33/100 BUT NOBODY ELSE MADE A CLAIM so he got him FREE. Pissed me off because it crossed my mind to put $1 on him just to make sure, but I assumed there would be plenty of claims so I didn't bother. Won't let that happen again.

If was in that league, I'd be throwing $1 werkly bids at just about anyone of note just to ensure nobody gets a freebie.

Silly rule if u ask me.

He was my first waiver wire pickup! If you remember last year though, with Helu, he became quite the fantasy stud under Shanahan. But Helu is also on that roster still, so who knows what will happen 4 weeks from now.

That rule needs changing next year. A bid is a bid whether it's the only one or not.

I suppose, but that's actually the thing that I don't like about blind bidding.... Yes it does add an element of strategy, but I don't really care to guess what my leaguemates might be thinking. I'd rather strategize what I'm willing to spend, but not be bound to my maximum bid unless it's necessary.

Ebay doesn't stick you with your max bid, so I think a good method would be for the high bidder to get him $1 more than the next bidder. If you don't like that, then bid more and bid him up, but risk having to be the one stuck paying more than you want to.

Not to say that there's anything wrong with the normal way you do blind bidding, but I don't see how this is that problematic, when it's entirely up to your leaguemates whether you have to pay a lot or get off cheap, rather than you being the one who has to be bound to a wild guess on interest and apathy.

I suppose, but that's actually the thing that I don't like about blind bidding.... Yes it does add an element of strategy, but I don't really care to guess what my leaguemates might be thinking. I'd rather strategize what I'm willing to spend, but not be bound to my maximum bid unless it's necessary.

Ebay doesn't stick you with your max bid, so I think a good method would be for the high bidder to get him $1 more than the next bidder. If you don't like that, then bid more and bid him up, but risk having to be the one stuck paying more than you want to.

Not to say that there's anything wrong with the normal way you do blind bidding, but I don't see how this is that problematic, when it's entirely up to your leaguemates whether you have to pay a lot or get off cheap, rather than you being the one who has to be bound to a wild guess on interest and apathy.

E-bay is not blind bid, and uncontested bids usually go cheap, the advantage comes from those who can't figure out basic laws of demand. I love the guy that blows a wad on a kicker for instance.

I like edges, they equal profit in a zero-sum game. But regardless, you now have to enter $1 bids EVERY time to counter the freebie play.

E-bay is not blind bid, and uncontested bids usually go cheap, the advantage comes from those who can't figure out basic laws of demand. I love the guy that blows a wad on a kicker for instance.

I like edges, they equal profit in a zero-sum game. But regardless, you now have to enter $1 bids EVERY time to counter the freebie play.

Ebay is somewhat a blind-bid, since you cannot know how high the other bidders are willing to go, but that's jsut a loose analogy, and has nothing to do with whether that form of bidding would be problematic or not. (ETA: nevermind, it is actually more like open-bidding, so forget this point, other than it not being problematic)

What's the problem with having to place a bid to ensure that someone else doesn't get him for $1? If no one else is demanding the player except you, then they clearly don't value the player and shouldn't care what you get him for.

However, if you want to stick it to other owners, you could certainly do that under this format, but you'd have to risk being the team who overpays.

We do open-bidding in several of my BoTH leagues, which works without issue. This would simply be a hybrid betwen open and blind bidding, and would reflect the demand of the player, not jsut what one team is willing to pay at maximum, that might be completely unnecessary to pay if your guess about league demand is wrong.

It's bringing it back to being based purely on demand, and not just a guessing game of how much someone else might or might not want him.

(ETA: to clarify I'm not arguing doing it how that league in question does it. I'm talking about a similar solution, where the high bidder pays $1 more than the next)

Edited by delusions of grandeur

Oopoo! Playing by eBay bidding rules! :lol:

Is that not essentially what we do with open-bidding in LLD and YODT?

This would be the same idea, but without taking potentially weeks for an auction to end, and instantaneously instead.

Edited by delusions of grandeur

Sigh

On ebay the guy could have a limit of a million bucks. In our leagues we have FA pounds, and it is publically listed exactly how much we all have to bid with

Savvy?

Sigh? I figured by the ;) that you were just giving me a hard time, because that's reading way too much into the analogy. Unless of course you think I'm advocating actually selling free agents on ebay to the highest bidder in real cash ;)

How is it at all problematic to this idea that we know how much each owner has to work with? That only adds to the strategy, regarldess of whether you're talking blind-bidding, open-bidding or this hybrid.

It seems that everyone arguing against it is looking too much at how it's not like ebay, rather than if it's a sound alternative. It is only like ebay in that it would end at a certain time (like blind bidding), but the winning bid is the highest bid, not the maximum that owner is willing to spend (like open-bidding).

Dude I know all about Shanahingans. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything new now that we're 3 hours to game time. Who's getting 1st team reps at practice? Any more sound bites from coaches? Etc

Morris should be starting.