[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

11 reasons the Cowboys need to find a way to land Johnny Football

MustOfBeenDrunk

Manziel gives them a better shot at a championship instantly. But the author was incorrect. You can't trade Romo. The NFL doesn't work like that. You can't just trade his salary. You eat it and pay it at the moment he is traded.

Kind of. If they cut a player with remaining guaranteed money they do, which is why it didn't make any sense for the Jets to cut Sanchez last year. However, when a team trades a player, they have to eat a cap hit of only the un-amortized bonuses still outstanding. The guaranteed salaries become the responsibility of the new team.

In the case of Romo, the Cowboys would eat a $20.8M cap hit to trade him. They are already going to be $30M ish over the cap, so it's not happening.

Edited by flemingd
  • Like 1

Ridiculous. There is no way in hell Johnny Football is a Cowboy. I can think of a number off reasons of the top of my head but the main reason is he's not going to be that good in the NFL. If, and that is one hugh IF, he can make it through a full season with the speed of the NFL players he's got no chance to make time to make the plays he is accustom to making. Romo is the Cowboys QB and that won't change unless he can't play.

The final reason I will state and perhaps the most important, is that if they don't do something about this defense in the draft, it won't matter who is at QB period. Defense is priority in this years draft. You have no chance of doing better then 8-8 if you have a defense that is setting records for yards, first downs and points. No chance.

Edited by Cowboyz1

From what I've read, he really works his butt off. He didn't sit on his laurels after winning the Heisman, but worked hard to improve(and did by all accounts). He seems to have the drive, desire, and maybe even work ethic of say, Russell Wilson, to whom he's going to be compared. What I wonder is if he's as smart as Wilson. Will he get down/get out of bounds instead of taking big hits, because his body is not going take many good pops once in the NFL. I see his off field lifestyle as a hugh roadblock as well and ultimately think he won't sacrifice all else to do the things he'll need to do to star in the NFL.

I don't see Manziel going high in the 1st round. He is only 6'1". And with all the quarterback talent, he may go lower than he would in other years. It wouldn't surprise me if a bunch of quaterbacks drop because of all of the talent in this years draft. Unless a team is really in love with a quarterback, I can see teams teams waiting until the 3rd or 4th round to draft a qb whereas if the talent were thinner, they'd have used a 1st or 2nd round pick.

I don't see Manziel going high in the 1st round. He is only 6'1". And with all the quarterback talent, he may go lower than he would in other years. It wouldn't surprise me if a bunch of quaterbacks drop because of all of the talent in this years draft. Unless a team is really in love with a quarterback, I can see teams teams waiting until the 3rd or 4th round to draft a qb whereas if the talent were thinner, they'd have used a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Can't say I agree much here.

There is speculation that this class may be fools gold. Three "unnamed GMs" each of which are in the hunt for a starting QB, liken this class to "the 2011 class, minus Cam Newton". Which means there's a lot of Blaine Gabberts and Christian Ponders in this class. At least that is their view.

I'm being careful with how I select QB in my dynasty drafts. I think I'd rather take a flier on a sleeper than burn a high pick on one.

That said, I like Manziel's prospects. Russell Wilson has proved you don't need to be a lumbering giant.