[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commissioner Question/Adrian Peterson

Jim1963

I am a commissioner in a 12 team league. We have been around 13 years now, and I have never seen an issue like this come up.

Adrian Peterson is not technically suspended. He is not injured. He is listed as "Exempt."

His owner today asked me that since he is not suspended or inured, but just in "Limbo" should he have the right to pick up an extra rostered player while the Peterson issue is settled.

We do not have an IR classification in our league for protecting players.

I am open to all feedback, but please keep it productive. It's my first year as commissioner, and want to do the right thing by all.

Do you have a rule saying that a player who is injured/suspended or in limbo gives you an extra roster spot? If you don't than he can't.

Most of my leagues only allow an extra spot if a player is put on IR. Going on IR then has it's own set of rules. Usually pertaining to how long he can stay on IR. And technically he is suspended by the team. He's carrying a suspended designation on many websites (MFL, ESPN ). Looks like Yahoo has him listed as "out"

• Like 2

I'm confused - if he was injured, would the AP owner be entitled to roster an additional player? Sounds like no since you state your league has no IR rules ... likewise, if AP was officially suspended, would the AP owner be entitled to roster an additional player? If not, what makes the current AP 'exempt' status any different from a player that (for example) decided to retire partway thru the season?

Is Josh Gordon or Matt Prater 'owned' by one of the FF teams in your league? If yes, do the owners of these player get a free extra roster spot so they can hold the suspended Gordon & Prater w/o penalty until they are eligible to play again?

If not, and if the AP owner wants to add a player that may actually suit up in the next few weeks, I'd expect he'd have to release AP in order to make a waiver move to add someone else, unless there is some clear rule in your league constitution not stated in your post. If officially suspended players can be held w/o taking up a roster space in your league, the situation seems a bit more unclear, but still, in the absence of an 'exempt status' rule, I'd say the AP owner is hosed.

Edited by ts
  • Like 2

I am a commissioner in a 12 team league. We have been around 13 years now, and I have never seen an issue like this come up.

Adrian Peterson is not technically suspended. He is not injured. He is listed as "Exempt."

His owner today asked me that since he is not suspended or inured, but just in "Limbo" should he have the right to pick up an extra rostered player while the Peterson issue is settled.

We do not have an IR classification in our league for protecting players.

I am open to all feedback, but please keep it productive. It's my first year as commissioner, and want to do the right thing by all.

Seems pretty clear to me. If it's not in your rules, then he can't do it.

• Like 1

Have to agree with the others, nothing much you can/should do.

First no rule to cover this generally means you don't do it (legues should not change/add rules during the season).

Second you don't have rules that allow a player on IR or suspended to not count against the roster limit. So why should the AP case be special.

If he was on IR or suspended according to your league site, the owner wouldn't be able to get an extra roster slot. So why do one for this?

Suggest your league discuss it and consider if they want to add any such rule in the future. We just try to have a big enough roster that these issues do not matter (rather than have an IR slot and deal with additional complex rules for that).

Edited by stevegrab
  • Like 2

I realize this is an ambiguous area and is not addressed in any rules I have seen. I read the situation as a suspension pending the resolution of the legal process. The legal system in the Houston area is painfully slow and even if his loud mouth lawyer negotiates a decent plea bargain the NFL will still hand down there punishment. More importantly if you are not in a keeper league the issue is basically moot. I cannot think of any scenario where Peterson plays this year.

Sounds to me like you are over thinking it.

Unless your rules specifically allow an owner to have an extra roster spot for players in APs situation there is nothing the owner can do. He either sucks it up and holds AP or cuts him for the roster spot.

In my local we allow IR. Our rules specifically state that players suspended are NOT eligible for IR. And for the purposes of my local league I would consider AP suspended - and the MFL roster page supports this showing him as suspended. However, the AP owner put him on IR the first week when his team DEACTIVATED him. At that time he wasn't suspended by deactivated. We allow deactivated players to be put on IR.

Sounds to me like you are over thinking it.

Unless your rules specifically allow an owner to have an extra roster spot for players in APs situation there is nothing the owner can do. He either sucks it up and holds AP or cuts him for the roster spot.

In my local we allow IR. Our rules specifically state that players suspended are NOT eligible for IR. And for the purposes of my local league I would consider AP suspended - and the MFL roster page supports this showing him as suspended. However, the AP owner put him on IR the first week when his team DEACTIVATED him. At that time he wasn't suspended by deactivated. We allow deactivated players to be put on IR.

I presume once he was activated and then moved to suspended/exempt list he had to be removed from your leauges IR.

Players do not have to be activated from our IR until they have accumulated at least 1 fantasy stat ...so, no, he is still on IR.

That blows and defeats the purpose of your IR slot to NOT be used for suspended players. Will you be looking to ammend that rule to cover this situation?

I agree that IR should not be used for suspended,. As noted earlier we chose not to deal with IR and just have bigger rosters. Especially in a keeper league, the strange way AP was handled combined with your rule would have AP on IR until the end of the season and elligible as a keeper (without taking a roster spot).

That blows and defeats the purpose of your IR slot to NOT be used for suspended players. Will you be looking to ammend that rule to cover this situation?

I agree that IR should not be used for suspended,. As noted earlier we chose not to deal with IR and just have bigger rosters. Especially in a keeper league, the strange way AP was handled combined with your rule would have AP on IR until the end of the season and elligible as a keeper (without taking a roster spot).

Here is the problem. I don't have time to micro-manage. This is a very unusual case in that the player was deactivated for a week and then subsequently suspended. I am not going to attempt to make a rule to handle something that happens this infrequently.