[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fixing the Catch rule.

Cowboyz1

I don't think the NFL really cares what the fans think and I don't think the rules are all that ambigous now. But people who've watched the game for years before this still have trouble understanding that failure to keep control when falling down IS NOT A CATCH.

I think Captain Hook nailed it, the current rules are fine. I watch plenty of football (5-8 NFL games a week) I know whether it is a catch or not, and I'm usually right more often than the "rules expert" all the networks employ to give them advice.

The problem is people don't like being wrong, they (fans, announcers, former refs working as rules experts, media, players, coaches) they think they know what is a catch and when they're told they're wrong they have a fit.

It isn't broken and doesn't need to be fixed.

• Like 1

It is amazing how CaptainHook and stevegrab are so adept at interpreting the rules when the guys who are paid to do it can't consistently apply the rules. These two guys must really be on their game because every sports media outlet I have watched also has a problem figuring out what makes a catch a catch and an incomplete pass an incomplete pass.

It is amazing how CaptainHook and stevegrab are so adept at interpreting the rules when the guys who are paid to do it can't consistently apply the rules. These two guys must really be on their game because every sports media outlet I have watched also has a problem figuring out what makes a catch a catch and an incomplete pass an incomplete pass.

Please explain the bolded, how are the NFL refs not consistently applying the rules? The answer cannot be "because I don't agree with them". The NFL expert analysts don't really matter either, not even former refs paid by the networks to inject their OPINIONS into games.

The rules have changed, and I feel I have a pretty good understanding of them. I may not always agree with the call, but in most cases it is something really close. I often see a play happen and say "that may not be a catch" while others might feel certain it is. Or they'll start reviewing it and I can see where there is some potential for it to be ruled not a catch.

I guess you guys just want all subjectivity to be removed, and that will never be the case with humans as officials. All these posts "who knows what a catch is anymore" just sound like sour grapes from older fans (I'm 50 and have watched the NFL a lot for the last 30 years) that don't like that things have changed.

Please explain the bolded, how are the NFL refs not consistently applying the rules? The answer cannot be "because I don't agree with them". The NFL expert analysts don't really matter either, not even former refs paid by the networks to inject their OPINIONS into games.

The rules have changed, and I feel I have a pretty good understanding of them. I may not always agree with the call, but in most cases it is something really close. I often see a play happen and say "that may not be a catch" while others might feel certain it is. Or they'll start reviewing it and I can see where there is some potential for it to be ruled not a catch.

I guess you guys just want all subjectivity to be removed, and that will never be the case with humans as officials. All these posts "who knows what a catch is anymore" just sound like sour grapes from older fans (I'm 50 and have watched the NFL a lot for the last 30 years) that don't like that things have changed.

When I see two different plays that look the same to me where the resulting call on the field is different ... this is inconsistent. If you aren't seeing this inconsistency you aren't paying attention. And no, I will not spend the time finding all the inconsistencies because it is clear to me you will simply ignore them anyway. The whole sports world is complaining about this inconsistency ... well except for you and CaptainHook.

Edited by Grits and Shins

Well Grits maybe what you see as the same isn't.

As far as the whole sports world bitching about it BFD, they bitch about anything and everything becasue the lemmings of world listen to their nonsense 24/7.

I don't watch a ton of highlights so maybe I miss some of the "controversial plays" and the hour long discussions by the talking heads. But as I said I do watch 5-8 NFL games every week (every game that is broadcast to me, plus 1-2 games on NFL replay). I don't feel there is a ton of inconsistency, and we've all been exposted to various parts of this "completing the catch" rule over the past few years. Sure the first time it was a big deal with Calvin not holding on to the TD I freaked out. But I've had time to adjust what I think is a catch, and I think many fans just refuse to adjust or accept that they cannot "make the call" themselves.

I just think like CH said that its the popular thing to do. Like complaining about London games, Goodell ruining the game, the Pats cheating (or not) and so on.

Do you freak out when there's holding and it isn't called, or PI and that isn't called (or cases when it is called but barely a hold or PI). Officials are part of sports, they are human and will bring an element of subjectivity with them. I've accepted that long ago.

I strongly agree that the rule should be changed for there to not be any grey area.

Control and 2 feet down simplifies everything and if you are worried about those bang-bang plays resulting in too many fumbles well that will just force the receivers to secure the ball anyway.

Now would this be a catch?

I don't know if you can count one nanosecond in between the 2nd foot being down and the ball getting knocked loose.

Even with the clarified rule that Cowboyz proposed, that play would require a replay or two.

Oldrules it's a TD. Currently it isn't.

I almost feel the same way about fumbles. Hold on to the ball until the whistle blows period. That's football. If you don't it's a fumble. Plain and simple. Hold on to the frigin pigskin until the play is over if you want to maintain possession. But that's another discussion.

That is actually the exact opposite of what you have been saying about making a catch.

That's a TD under the old 2 feet rule, but should have been an INT under current rules.

Blandino on why that was a TD catch

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000559663/article/dean-blandino-on-why-golden-tate-play-ruled-a-td

My eyes see the catch, 2 feet down, crossing into the EZ and a third foot almost down as the ball is coming lose. He isn't going to the ground, so those Dez/Calvin comparisons from 2014 playoffs are relevant.

I'm also curious how much the opinion of Mike Periera is convincing you or others (media/fans) that this wasn't a TD catch but an INT? Because these guys are not current officials and some things have changed slightlty or become points of emphasis since they've left their job as an NFL official. Are they right and the officials on the field and those back at NFL HQ wrong? Why?

I know refs are not perfect, so does the NFL. Heck they've admitted more about blown calls in the last 5 years than I remember in the 25 years prior (probably just more coverage now).

I know some think I'm just a mouthpiece for the NFL or something based on discussions like this and some of the stuff with people hating on Goodell and me telling them their beef should be with the owners not some mouthpiece they hired.

Blandino on why that was a TD catch

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000559663/article/dean-blandino-on-why-golden-tate-play-ruled-a-td

My eyes see the catch, 2 feet down, crossing into the EZ and a third foot almost down as the ball is coming lose. He isn't going to the ground, so those Dez/Calvin comparisons from 2014 playoffs are relevant.

I'm also curious how much the opinion of Mike Periera is convincing you or others (media/fans) that this wasn't a TD catch but an INT? Because these guys are not current officials and some things have changed slightlty or become points of emphasis since they've left their job as an NFL official. Are they right and the officials on the field and those back at NFL HQ wrong? Why?

I know refs are not perfect, so does the NFL. Heck they've admitted more about blown calls in the last 5 years than I remember in the 25 years prior (probably just more coverage now).

I know some think I'm just a mouthpiece for the NFL or something based on discussions like this and some of the stuff with people hating on Goodell and me telling them their beef should be with the owners not some mouthpiece they hired.

I didn't watch that game, didn't read anything, just watched the 2 clips at the link and that was my reaction. I will read what you linked.

My take on the Tate play is the defender had his hand on the ball. I don't think there was clear possession.

Not trying to be argumentative but when I look real close (still frames of that slow mo video) I see both hands on the ball, then 2nd foot down, ball crosses plane (third foot coming down) and then the defender has his hand on the ball. Looked like possession and crossing into EZ before defender touched it.

Crabtree looked to have a catch, two feet in bounds, third step out of bounds, then shoved and falls - drops ball. No catch.

Seemed like a catch to me once his foot is out of bounds, play over.

If you go to the ground at all, you must maintain control.

I really don't see what is so hard about that.

:shrug:

in today's NFL..its not a catch. For the 1st however many decades I watched football..he controlled the ball, had 2 feet down n fumbled it out of bounds

You are an insane drunken toddler that wants fantasy points if you think that was a smoochieing complete pass.

Edited by CaptainHook