[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Better Career...Marshawn Lynch or Calvin Johnson?

Shaft

Who had the better career?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Beast Mode vs. Megatron

• Marshawn Lynch
    • Calvin Johnson

I'm not going to blame Calvin for the ineptitude of the Lions franchise. Calvin was the best receiver in the league for a several year period. He is one of the best to ever play the position. Marshawn doesn't come close.

Nor should we reward Lynch for being lucky to get on the Seahawks team with a great defense and an offense well suited to him. If he remained with the Bills his numbers probably pale and so would the playoff wins and no ring.

Calving was elite, for virtually his whole career, and could remain near elite if he wanted to keep playing.

Seeing the vote at 26-2 its not even close (I was wondering why the comparison was being made). Seems that most consider the career to be more than just "the guy with the ring is better".

Nor should we reward Lynch for being lucky to get on the Seahawks team with a great defense and an offense well suited to him. If he remained with the Bills his numbers probably pale and so would the playoff wins and no ring.

Calving was elite, for virtually his whole career, and could remain near elite if he wanted to keep playing.

Seeing the vote at 26-2 its not even close (I was wondering why the comparison was being made). Seems that most consider the career to be more than just "the guy with the ring is better".

The comparison was made because they both announced their retirement this year. I would also add that they were drafted the same year and their stats are almost identical. I think it's a fair comparison.

For 3 years, 2011-2013, Megatron was the most dominant receiver in the league, no question. But I can't say he did it longer. The rest of his years were solid.

Megatron has 84 TDs. Lynch has 83 TDs.

Yards from scrimmage.......Megatron: 11,786 Lynch: 11,091

Playoff games/wins: Megatron 2/0 Lynch: 11/6

Rings: Megatron - 0 Lynch-1

And Lynch went to the playoffs before Wilson got to Seattle

I just don't think it's as one-sided as people make it to be.

Instead of looking at career numbers, try looking at year to year, where did they rank in key stats for their position (yards, catches/carriers). I'll bet that Calvin is in the top 5 far more often than Lynch is.

I think you and a couple others are focusing too much on the ring. Just because the career numbers for yards and TDs are comparable (but for different positions) doesn't mean its a tie and the winner is the one with the ring.

Somebody else said AP would be a better comparison, that I agree with as he was elite and top 5 for all of his career. Just seems that Lynch got lucky going to Seahawks while his career in BUF wasn't too great. Now looking at his stats those first 2 full seasons in BUF were not bad.

• Like 2

For 3 years, 2011-2013, Megatron was the most dominant receiver in the league, no question. But I can't say he did it longer. The rest of his years were solid.

kind of hard to compare different positions

How many times did they throw the ball to CJ inside the 5? How many touches per game? How many yards per touch? Stats can be cherry-picked to make an argument ;)

Surrounding talent and coaching was by far better with Lynch's team. CJ played for an 0-16 team. Most of his career the game-plan to beat DET was to stop CJ. Lynchs bulk of production came with Wilson at QB.

At the end I think CJ was one of the most dominate players at his position for a longer stretch of time. Lynch had a couple great years

PFR has some neat stuff with comparable careers

CJ

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnCa00.htm

Career Brandon Marshall, Vincent Jackson, Cris Collinsworth, Sterling Sharpe, John Gilliam, Mark Clayton, Bob Hayes*, Laveranues Coles, Herman Moore, Mark Duper

Lynch

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LyncMa00.htm

Career Donny Anderson, Matt Forte, Mike Garrett, Eddie George, Earl Campbell*, Clinton Portis, Brian Westbrook, Jamal Lewis, Chuck Muncie, Ricky Williams

• Like 2

How many times did they throw the ball to CJ inside the 5? How many touches per game? How many yards per touch? Stats can be cherry-picked to make an argument ;)

Surrounding talent and coaching was by far better with Lynch's team. CJ played for an 0-16 team. Most of his career the game-plan to beat DET was to stop CJ. Lynchs bulk of production came with Wilson at QB.

At the end I think CJ was one of the most dominate players at his position for a longer stretch of time. Lynch had a couple great years

CJ

Career Brandon Marshall, Vincent Jackson, Cris Collinsworth, Sterling Sharpe, John Gilliam, Mark Clayton, Bob Hayes*, Laveranues Coles, Herman Moore, Mark Duper

Lynch

Career Donny Anderson, Matt Forte, Mike Garrett, Eddie George, Earl Campbell*, Clinton Portis, Brian Westbrook, Jamal Lewis, Chuck Muncie, Ricky Williams

I just put career numbers for 2 individuals who played the exact same amount of years, and are potentially retiring at the same time. I don't think I'm cherry picking statistics, actually didn't even add them until I edited because my question was not about who was the better player, it was who had the better career. And I think there is a difference between better player and better career. I definitely think Megatron was the better player, but career is a different discussion. Most people consider Barry Sanders a better RB than Emmitt Smith, and most would say Emmitt Smith had a better career. As I said in the beginning, it was a question I was asking myself and I thought it was easily Megatron until I looked a little deeper and I realized there are more things to weigh out.

And almost exactly half of Lynch's production came with Wilson.

And yes, I agree, it's hard to compare different positions, but if you had to compare two different ones, RB and WR would be the two.

Edited by Shaft

CJ

Lynch

Mark Duper!!! Man that dude was a pure stud. Super Duper!!

Instead of looking at career numbers, try looking at year to year, where did they rank in key stats for their position (yards, catches/carriers). I'll bet that Calvin is in the top 5 far more often than Lynch is.

I think you and a couple others are focusing too much on the ring. Just because the career numbers for yards and TDs are comparable (but for different positions) doesn't mean its a tie and the winner is the one with the ring.

Somebody else said AP would be a better comparison, that I agree with as he was elite and top 5 for all of his career. Just seems that Lynch got lucky going to Seahawks while his career in BUF wasn't too great. Now looking at his stats those first 2 full seasons in BUF were not bad.

Lynch finished in the top 5 for rushing ----2 times (he was 6th in 2013). Megatron finished top 5 for receiving ---4 times. Like I said, I'm not trying to focus on better player, just better career. Also, it's just not the ring, it's postseason in general. And Lynch did help Seattle win a playoff game before Wilson arrived.

Lynch finished in the top 5 for rushing ----2 times (he was 6th in 2013). Megatron finished top 5 for receiving ---4 times. Like I said, I'm not trying to focus on better player, just better career. Also, it's just not the ring, it's postseason in general. And Lynch did help Seattle win a playoff game before Wilson arrived.

Better player and better career = CJ. Only argument I've seen to justify Lynch was better is the ring/post season. And I disagree with that because that is moire about the team around them than their individual contributions.

Edited by stevegrab

Better player and better career = CJ. Only argument I've seen to justify Lynch was better is the ring/post season. And I disagree with that because that is moire about the team around them than their individual contributions.

That's a fair assessment. I was looking for opinions on the question, and I clearly got them. :lol:

The one year they went to the playoffs without Russell Wilson was with a 7-9 record, during a seaon where nobody wanted to win the NFC West

The one year they went to the playoffs without Russell Wilson was with a 7-9 record, during a seaon where nobody wanted to win the NFC West

Ummm...they did win that playoff game beating the Superbowl Champs New Orlean Saints. Lynch went into beast mode with that 67 yard run and finished with 131 yards.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering if Lynch retiring doesn't sit well with anyone else. I hate so say it, and of course, it's very difficult to tell with Lynch, which is part of the reason I am such a fan of him, but I feel like maybe he just lost passion and became concerned about his long term health. Am I just completely wrong or does it remind anyone else of Tiki Barber in a way (minus badmouthing the coach and all that)?

I mean, just last season he was a top 5 RB, he's 29, there are current and past star RBs who have or are playing longer careers than him (not just more seasons but more touches as well). Most players seem to stick it out as long as they possibly can.

Edited by pun

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I don't see what that has to do with the possibility that his relatively early retirement (although maybe I'm wrong that it's on the early side - I'm asking here) could be related to losing passion for the game/team/league, or whatever reason unrelated to loss of athleticism / too high injury risk.

I mean, it's not like that's a career ending injury, right? It reminds me quite a bit of when Tiki Barber retired, though Tiki had a much larger mouth and a lot less respect. If Lynch hadn't gone out during an injury-plagued season, it'd be an even closer comparison.