[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Intel imac review

Randall

Review: New Apple iMac Visually Stunning

Wednesday January 25, 4:27 pm ET

By Matthew Fordahl, AP Technology Writer

Review: New iMac From Apple Computer Is First With Silicon Brains From Intel

Normally, a speedier computer that appears to be carbon copy of the one it replaced isn't worthy of much attention. Not so, with the new iMac from Apple Computer Inc., the first with silicon brains from Intel Corp.

The new iMacs remain visually stunning, with the entire computer squeezed into the frame of a 17-inch or 20-inch flat-panel display. They still have built-in video cameras. They run most of the same software titles. And they cost the same ($1,299 or $1,699) as the last generation of iMacs, which ran IBM's PowerPC chips.

Given all that could have gone wrong in the historic chip switch, all this similitude is significant.

The Intel Corp. Core Duo processor inside, with two computing engines on each chip, does deliver a boost in performance with some programs, though Apple's claims of up to three times over the last generation is a stretch.

The chips also don't kick off as much heat, suggesting they're consuming less power -- just as would be expected from a chip whose heritage is in notebooks.

More significant than the new chip itself is the impact of the transition on users.

Swapping such a key component isn't as easy as prying out the old and plopping in the new. Supporting chips also must be switched out, and every bit of software, from the operating system on up, must either be rewritten or translated on the fly.

It requires considerable skill, not to mention arm-twisting, to get users and software developers in the same boat.

Apple, at least so far, seems to have done a very good job at making sure all old programs run seamlessly on the new Mac and that its new programs run on older Macs.

With very few exceptions, no one should feel abandoned.

I borrowed a 20-inch Intel-based iMac from Apple and installed a variety of software on it, including programs optimized for the new systems and some that I had bought for my five-year-old Power Mac.

A number of Apple's applications, including the latest versions of Mac OS X, iWork '06 productivity suite and the iLife '06 bundle of multimedia applications, already are available as "Universal" applications that work with both Intel and PowerPC Macs.

On the new Mac, the operating system was snappy. Programs like iPhoto, iTunes, Pages and Keynote were similarly responsive and felt like they benefited from the boost in computing horsepower. The Web browser Safari also seemed zippier than usual, though that has more to do with the speed of my Internet connection than the processor.

The new programs also ran well on my older, PowerPC-based system.

In another test, I dug up copies of old programs and installed them on the new iMac. In this case, a technology called Rosetta takes over behind the scenes and translates the old code into something the Intel chip can understand.

As might be expected, there was a performance hit.

After installing the former Macromedia Inc.'s Studio MX 2004, I definitely noticed a slight lag when menus or windows were opened. It was most evident when moving complex pieces in the graphics program Freehand. That forced the image to redraw -- very slowly -- on the screen.

The speed declined further after I removed 512 megabytes of memory from my test system. (The box arrived with a gigabyte of memory, or double what's included in the system's $1,699 price tag.)

Other programs fared better. Microsoft Word, for instance, had no trouble keeping up with my typing.

Most consumers who use their machines to surf the Web, write e-mails and edit documents probably won't be bothered by the Rosetta slowdown. Advanced users and gamers will want to try out their favorite programs before buying one of the new Macs.

Apple has commitments from major developers to switch their programs over to Universal applications. The process will take some time, but it promises to keep owners of old and new Macs happy.

There are a handful of programs that won't work at all on the new Mac. They include some high-end professional applications from Apple, which promises to have new versions available within about a month, and also old programs that require Mac OS 9 and earlier.

The no-run list also includes Microsoft's Virtual PC, which allows users to run Windows on top of Mac OS X. It's not clear when, or if, Microsoft will update it.

Some might wonder if the new iMacs, because they have the same brain as computers that run Windows, can run that operating system. Right now, with Windows XP, the answer is no, though Apple says it won't prevent users from doing so.

The biggest stumbling block appears to be the software that boots up the machine. Apple uses a new Intel technology that dramatically speeds up the startup process. It's not supported in current versions of Windows, though the next version will.

The new Mac also sports other internal improvements. Its graphics card has been souped up and, on the 20-inch iMac, is memory upgradeable. The video subsystem also now supports extending the monitor to a second display. Previous iMacs only allowed mirroring.

All in all, the first Intel-based Macs are a promising start to Apple's faster-than-expected transition that put Intel chips in all its computer lines by the end of the year.

It's fitting that the transition started with the very product line that kicked off Apple's renaissance in 1998.

Once again, the iMac is leading the way and, for now at least, in the right direction.

i would still highly recommend that anyone considering buying a new Intel iMac should wait 6 months or so if you can. the new versions of hardware from Apple have oftentimes been riddled with problems that are quickly fixed in subsequent production runs. letting this shake out is a good idea before purchasing.

that said, i love the new iMacs and will be strongly considering picking one up later in the year. for the home musician who wants a simple solution to lay down some songs, there is nothing better than garageband. in addition, the apps to manage your pictures, music, and movies are stellar.

having the iSight camera built in now is great as well. i bought my parents an iBook a year ago with an iSight add-on and it is great to use for videoconferencing. let's them see the kids while we are out here in San Diego.

:D

apple rocks.

These are going to be great, i can't wait to get my hands on one. I just got my new 17" G4 Powerbook two weeks ago.

I've been using Macs for over 20 yrs and you should always - ALWAYS wait till the second gen of any new hardware upgrade. Tone is right wait about 6-8 months and let the bugs shake out then jump in. I'll probably wait a 12-18 months and then trade up again for what will probably be a dual-core, 17" (or 20"? :D ) portable.

With OSX 10.4+, and the hybrid kernel that can run PPC apps, these things are going to rock.

These are going to be great, i can't wait to get my hands on one. I just got my new 17" G4 Powerbook two weeks ago.

I've been using Macs for over 20 yrs and you should always - ALWAYS wait till the second gen of any new hardware upgrade. Tone is right wait about 6-8 months and let the bugs shake out then jump in. I'll probably wait a 12-18 months and then trade up again for what will probably be a dual-core, 17" (or 20"? :D ) portable.

With OSX 10.4+, and the hybrid kernel that can run PPC apps, these things are going to rock.

1288485[/snapback]

Very true. They pushed the timetable to get them out this early. I live in a small town but need to get to an apple store to play with one.

Nothing within 140 miles. May need to go to Grand Rapids, MI.

Edited by Randall

i would still highly recommend that anyone considering buying a new Intel iMac should wait 6 months or so if you can.  the new versions of hardware from Apple have oftentimes been riddled with problems that are quickly fixed in subsequent production runs.  letting this shake out is a good idea before purchasing.

that said, i love the new iMacs and will be strongly considering picking one up later in the year.  for the home musician who wants a simple solution to lay down some songs, there is nothing better than garageband.  in addition, the apps to manage your pictures, music, and movies are stellar.

having the iSight camera built in now is great as well.  i bought my parents an iBook a year ago with an iSight add-on and it is great to use for videoconferencing.  let's them see the kids while we are out here in San Diego.

apple rocks.

1288345[/snapback]

Realizing you are a big Mac user, the Grapic advantage that the Mac had no longer exists. The business world adopted PC's years ago. Why as a young user would I adopt a Mac? This is not a pissing match, mind you, but most of the business/engineering world NEED PC's! All I see is overlays and promises that this new Mac will do it all. I frankly don't see it! Again I'll apologize for my PC predjudice!

Most consumers who use their machines to surf the Web, write e-mails and edit documents probably won't be bothered by the Rosetta slowdown. Advanced users and gamers will want to try out their favorite programs before buying one of the new Macs.

That's a flag! Ok, admittedly I am an AutoCad user, as many engin./archy types are. That statement would cool my Jets. Why would I want to switch? Again, not attacking you (Randall), nor am I attacking Mac in general. But why should I switch?

FWIW....the Mac vs PC battle has been fought and won by PC's. There will be a place in the techno world for Mac users, but the stage has been set and I don't see a major shift happening. JMHO, and I mean no dis to Mac users! It's just my humble opinion.

Why would I want to switch? 

1288542[/snapback]

rockn - as an engineering machine, i would agree that a PC is the better way to go, esp. for applications like simulation, autocad, etc.

for the average user, however, the mac still holds many, many advantages. here are the biggies that come to mind:

1. the iLife software. it comes on every mac and lets you easily manage your photos, music, and movies while encouraging you to create. iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, and now iWeb, all work together to allow you to get the most out of your media. too many times on the PC you struggle to get things to work together - like trying to put a custom slideshow with effects of your own photos, set to your own music, and burned to a DVD with an elegant menu system. on the mac, this is FUN and EASY to do and can create professional looking stuff.

2. stability. the mac is still the only game around where the hardware and operating system are made by the same company. this removes all of the conflicts you see on a PCs with drivers conflicting with each other and applications not playing nicely (no page faults on a mac). plus, the OS on the mac is built on unix, a rock solid operating system. this means it is harder to attack with viruses and it gives the user more power at a command prompt. compare this to the DLL conflicts, registry errors, and the instability of windows.

3. innovation. mac is innovating like crazy, with both software and hardware. on the hardware side, they are setting the bar for how machines should be developed. the new iMac is a thing of beauty, incredibly powerful, and maximizes your space. the mac-mini is a great low end option that you could slip in your briefcase. on the OS side, the innovations just keep coming, which include lightening fast searches with spotlight, dashboard widgets, native audio and video conferencing, and automator, which lets you automate common tasks. we have not had a serious update to windows in years.

4. ease of use. i bought my parents an iBook laptop over a year ago and they are now surfing the web, videoconferencing with me, chatting, and opening music and photos that i send with ease. these are people in their 60's who i would have never dreamed could operate a PC. supporting a mac is still miles above trying to support a PC, especially remotely. oh, and they are running on a wireless network which has never failed in over a year.

5. it's a community. mac users still see personal computing as something you can do with passion and enjoyment. it encourages creativity and only limits you by what you can dream up vs. what you can figure out. there are great apple stores, a great apple on-line community, and learning about what the company will do next is as much fun as using what is available today.

so those are a few. there are more. check out other reasons here.

the PC "won" because apple would not compromise on it's vision of an integrated hardware and OS environment, and the power it delivers. i applaud them for that. once when steve jobs was asked how apple can claim it is successful with the small market share that it has, he had a great response - "not everybody drives a BMW, but it is still a pretty successful automobile company."

i'm also not saying the mac is perfect. the main drawback can be the cost, but again, a BMW does not come cheap. also, the costs are becoming more and more competitive. when you really look what you are getting for a $1200 iMac vs. a $500 PC, it is a HUGH difference.

Realizing you are a big Mac user, the Grapic advantage that the Mac had no longer exists.  The business world adopted PC's years ago.  Why as a young user would I adopt a Mac? This is not a pissing match, mind you, but most of the business/engineering world NEED PC's!  All I see is overlays and promises that this new Mac will do it all.  I frankly don't see it!  Again I'll apologize for my PC predjudice!

That's a flag!  Ok, admittedly I am an AutoCad user, as many engin./archy types are.  That statement would cool my Jets. Why would I want to switch?  Again, not attacking you (Randall), nor am I attacking Mac in general.  But why should I switch? 

FWIW....the Mac vs PC battle has been fought and won by PC's.  There will be a place in the techno world for Mac users, but the stage has been set and I don't see a major shift happening.  JMHO, and I mean no dis to Mac users!  It's just my humble opinion.

1288542[/snapback]

Just a couple of thoughts RR...

First and foremost, you have it wrong as far as graphics go. It's not an issue of which platform does it better, really. The fact is that Macs are embedded at the professional level and educational level of the graphics industry. If you are a young user trying to break into graphic design, digital photography, the printing business, etc., you want to learn how to use a Mac because you want to be proficient with the tools of your industry. As long as the majority of the industry is using them, Macs will have a place.

The other thing I want to say, or rather question, is why you think it would be a good thing for Macs to just go away. I admit I am inferring that your statement on 'the battle being won' by PCs means that you think anyone pushing another platform is just pissing in the wind, so to speak. Would it be better if nobody else tried and the world just succumbed to whatever crap Bill Gates wants to throw at us?

I have worked on many types of computers, and have been a sys admin for PCs, Macs, and Unix. I can say that all have their plusses and minuses, but having seen the growth in the Mac platform from a technology standpoint over the last ceveral years I wouldn't discount some increas in marketshare. I would imagine that in the next several years it won't matter significantly if a user has a machine running Mac OS X or Windows in terms of the application functionality they need. The move to intel makes it much, much easier for companies to make their apps available for the Mac. Lastly, the tools that the majority of the business world uses for the majority of their work, that being Microsoft Office, are available and fully functional on the Mac.

Who knows...maybe AutoCad is next :D In any case, I'll bet if you tried one for a little while you might like it :D

As a PC user (both Windows and GNU/Linux), an IT pro, and a guy who builds my own machines, I got my wife an G5 iMac last month and the thing absolutely rocks. ESPECIALLY for imaging and graphics. I have an ATi Radeon 9800 and a great Samsung flat panel, but her iMac's display just knocks mine out of the park. The Apple graphics advantage is still real, mostly because the quality of their displays are just insane. And yeah, professional graphic desigers/creators/editors all still use Macs, partly because of the display and partly because of inertia. We got her computer up and running and doing everything she was used to doing within 30 minutes.

The unspoken boon of MacOS X is that deep down at its core, it is a flavor of UNIX (actually BSD). That means that all the wonderful, free, open-source software out there for Linux runs just fine on OSX as well. My wife will never use anything but the gorgeous GUI, but I can bring up the terminal and write shell code.

PhotoBooth rocks. GarageBand completely rocks. We got Office:Mac for $100. iPhoto kind of sucks, but The GiMP installs just fine. Networking was a snap, and we can share files back and forth just fine.

I considered waiting for the Intel-based machines, but figured there would be bugs and adoption issues, and my wife's old laptop was ready for the scrap heap months ago. I don't regret it.

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

But why should I switch? 

1288542[/snapback]

If you're happy where you are you shouldn't switch. The newspaper industry, many artists, schools and scientists still use macs and love them.

There is room in this country for more than 1 kind of computer. And with Mac on intel chips many who use both for different reasons may be able to do so on 1 machine this year.

Go with what you are happy with.

macs are for homos

1288802[/snapback]

George Bush is a homo?

Realizing you are a big Mac user, the Grapic advantage that the Mac had no longer exists.  The business world adopted PC's years ago.  Why as a young user would I adopt a Mac? This is not a pissing match, mind you, but most of the business/engineering world NEED PC's!  All I see is overlays and promises that this new Mac will do it all.  I frankly don't see it!  Again I'll apologize for my PC predjudice!

That's a flag!  Ok, admittedly I am an AutoCad user, as many engin./archy types are.  That statement would cool my Jets. Why would I want to switch?  Again, not attacking you (Randall), nor am I attacking Mac in general.  But why should I switch? 

FWIW....the Mac vs PC battle has been fought and won by PC's.  There will be a place in the techno world for Mac users, but the stage has been set and I don't see a major shift happening. JMHO, and I mean no dis to Mac users!  It's just my humble opinion.

1288542[/snapback]

Just a couple of thoughts RR...

First and foremost, you have it wrong as far as graphics go.  It's not an issue of which platform does it better, really.  The fact is that Macs are embedded at the professional level and educational level of the graphics industry. If you are a young user trying to break into graphic design, digital photography, the printing business, etc., you want to learn how to use a Mac because you want to be proficient with the tools of your industry.  As long as the majority of the industry is using them, Macs will have a place.

The other thing I want to say, or rather question, is why you think it would be a good thing for Macs to just go away.  I admit I am inferring that your statement on 'the battle being won' by PCs  means that you think anyone pushing another platform is just pissing in the wind, so to speak. Would it be better if nobody else tried and the world just succumbed to whatever crap Bill Gates wants to throw at us?

I have worked on many types of computers, and have been a sys admin for PCs, Macs, and Unix.  I can say that all have their plusses and minuses, but having seen the growth in the Mac platform from a technology standpoint over the last ceveral years I wouldn't discount some increas in marketshare.  I would imagine that in the next several years it won't matter significantly if a user has a machine running Mac OS X or Windows in terms of the application functionality they need. The move to intel makes it much, much easier for companies to make their apps available for the Mac.  Lastly, the tools that the majority of the business world uses for the majority of their work, that being Microsoft Office, are available and fully functional on the Mac.

Who knows...maybe AutoCad is next :D In any case, I'll bet if you tried one for a little while you might like it :D

1288712[/snapback]

Perhaps I did not state my case properly. If I came off super negative, that was not my intent. Let me try to clear this up.

When Macs came out and schools realized that the Apple S/W that they were using and had a large investment in was not compatable w/ Mac, many schools (K-12) changed to PC's, at least that was the case in my area. True that the graphics industry still embraces the Mac and that will probably never change.

Sorry Ursa, your inference is wrong here. The battle I meant was market share. The business world and the tech world made the PC the standard. I never said, nor did I imply that Macs should go away. I just don't see a major shift in current market share. That's all! Please re-read my statement. FWIW, AutoCad used to have a Mac version, but gave it up because it represented less than 2% of their sales.

Agree on the Gates comment. Macs keep him somewhat honest, along w/ Intel.

I have spent many, many hours on Macs in my Photo/Photoshop classes (6+). It is transparent NOW! I've seen no differences between the two. I've lost just as many files and had just as many crashes on both! :D

Lastly.......I don't argue the Mac/PC crap much anymore, but I thought this Intel Mac was going to be a major bridge. Reading the review it seems to be at least 1 or 2 versions short of that goal, that's all.

I may need to reconsider my support of them then........

1289545[/snapback]

Hillary may need volunteers. :D

Actually I would like to see real republicans again more than seeing these radicals continue. McCain or someone fiscally responsible who is actually conservative in the classical snse would be nice.

Hillary may need volunteers.  :D

Actually I would like to see real republicans again more than seeing these radicals continue. McCain or someone fiscally responsible who is actually conservative in the classical snse would be nice.

1289834[/snapback]

pass on the first part, and

McCain isn't a real republican.

Sorry Ursa, your inference is wrong here. 

1289473[/snapback]

Ursa......where the flock did I get that from?????

I gotta get to the Optometrist! :D I hate it when Mrs. RR is right!!!! :D

Edited by rocknrobn26