[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dog allergies

isleseeya

I am allergic to dogs ( which kills me because i love them ) ...my children ( i have 4 all under the age of 15 ) really want a puppy

more than one doctor over the years told me that getting allergy shots may or may not work ( not to mention i do not beleive they are covered by insurance ) ...

anyone have any therapies ( homeopathic or others ) thye know or heard of that may work to help overcome this allergy ?

Is it really bad allergies, or more an annoying thing?

Maybe you could get by with a breed that's less allergenic than others. There's a lot of hybrid breeds that mix with standard poodles, which gives them less allergenic hair. Labradoodles and Goldendoodles are both adorable looking dogs. A friend of mine has a soft coated wheaten terrier, which I think also has hair rather than fur.

Labradoodle

Goldendoodles

Wheatens

FWIW, Mrs. RR is allergic to like 25 things but not cats & dogs. She has been going for those shots for ~10 years, twice a month. They work fantastic! She can even tell when she forgets or can't go for some reason, even in the winter. Her insurance covers them just fine.

Simple solution. Get a Chinese Hairless. We had one, but had to give him away. They have hair only on their head, feet and the end of their tail. Ours looked just like Billy Idol, hence his name: Billy Idol.

FWIW, Mrs. RR is allergic to like 25 things but not cats & dogs.  She has been going for those shots for ~10 years, twice a month.  They work fantastic!  She can even tell when she forgets or can't go for some reason, even in the winter.  Her insurance covers them just fine.

1294393[/snapback]

Good info thanks ..will speak to my allergist

Is it really bad allergies, or more an annoying thing?

Maybe you could get by with a breed that's less allergenic than others. There's a lot of hybrid breeds that mix with standard poodles, which gives them less allergenic hair. Labradoodles and Goldendoodles are both adorable looking dogs. A friend of mine has a soft coated wheaten terrier, which I think also has hair rather than fur.

Labradoodle

Goldendoodles

Wheatens

1293850[/snapback]

We just got 2 goldendoodles..If your allergies can handle it I recommend these dogs bigtime..Great personlities and pretty smart..

Edited by whomper

My girlfriends daughter, who lives with us most of the time, was prescribed Zertec(sp) because the doctor was suspicious of animal allergies, we have a dog which is only in the house about 30% of the time, but her father has a ton of animals and refused to admit it was them that were causing her problems (idiot) anyway long story short the Zertec has seemed to do a pretty good job at stoppin the problem. It was covered by insurance less the copay of course.

Edited by ChuckB

get a hypoallergenic breed...like a portugese water dog, or one of the poodle crosses (goldendoodles, labradoodles)

1293829[/snapback]

I don't have allergies but I have two water dogs. They are great dogs. Good temperment, lots of fun, energetic enough that they are dogs yet not to the point of taking all my time. They don't have fur, they have hair like people so you don't get the doggie dander. Awesome dogs man, I love em.