[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Menudo's Movie Reviews

Menudo

The Hangover Part II

I was one of those who thought the first "Hangover" was brilliant. I think it might be the only comedy that I've given a 10 since I've been doing these reviews. As usual, the sequel was not as good as the original. In this case, they weren't very creative. They basically used the same script, and moved them to Thailand. However, I still find several parts to be extremely funny. So, they were definitely lazy in originality, but, they still accomplished their goal, as I was laughing throughout.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hall Pass

This is one of those movies that started out very strong, but, then struggled to the finish line. It definitely has some very good laughs, but, most of them happen early in the movie. After that, the movie goes the way of the typical romantic comedy, including complete ridiculousness and

the main characters finding their way back to one another.

So, this one started as a 9, but, ended as a 5, so, I'll put the rating right in the middle.

Edited by Menudo

Bad Teacher

I actually thought that the performances were pretty good in this movie. Cameron Diaz, Justin Timberlake, Jason Segel, and the redhead were all very good in their roles. However, they didn't have much to work with, as the script was pretty bad.

First, I don't get what the moral of the story was. Essentially, Diaz' character was an awful person, who was completely rewarded for being awful in the end.

There were a few funny moments, but, not enough to make up for the weak plot. It is watchable, due to the good performances, but, the weak storyline keeps it from being great.

Edited by Menudo

Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Fincher's version was very much like the original Swedish version, yet still in his trademark style. While I enjoyed this version very much, I must say I enjoyed the original more, most likely, though, because I saw it first. This is a very good movie with many subplots to keep the viewer engaged, interested and even guessing. The actors were all very well cast with Rooney Mara nailing the role of Lisbeth Salander (though she did have a good blueprint from Noomi Rapace, who was also excellent in the original).

• 2 weeks later...

Horrible Bosses

I really liked this one. It definitely had me laughing throughout. The bosses were perfectly cast. Kevin Spacey was phenomenal, as usual. Colin Ferrell was good, as the spoiled son of a CEO. Lastly, Jennifer Aniston was funny and sexy as hell as the dentist that is continually seducing her assistant. As for the trio of employees, I find Jason Bateman pretty funny in everything he does. Jason Sudekis is one of my favorites on SNL, and he is catching on in these comedies, and Charlie Day, who I've never really seen before, is extremely funny. Great casting and a funny plot make this a solid comedy.

Aladdin

With the new theater, I'll probably be watching a lot of kids movies, as my kid loves it when I do it up right, with popcorn and candy. It is some great family time. :wacko: I had never seen Aladdin, and I really enjoyed it. It is another great job by Disney. It doesn't quite get up to the level of "The Lion King", but, ranks in the next tier. The movie really takes off when the genie, played by Robin Williams shows up in the movie. My son was laughing hysterically at him. I enjoyed this one, and I'm sure most have already seen it. If you have a young kid, this is a great one to watch together.

Dolphin Tale

I thought this would be the perfect family movie, as my Aunt and Mom were visiting to see the new theater. This was a good choice, as it was a great, inspirational family film. My son and my nephew tuned out pretty quickly, as they are a bit too young to stay involved in this one (they are both five). The rest of the family enjoyed it though. Dophins are awesome creatures, and are very easy to root for. Throw in some cute, ambitious kids, an injured Iraq soldier, and Morgan Freeman, and you've got a pretty good family film.

The Hangover Part II

I was one of those who thought the first "Hangover" was brilliant. I think it might be the only comedy that I've given a 10 since I've been doing these reviews. As usual, the sequel was not as good as the original. In this case, they weren't very creative. They basically used the same script, and moved them to Thailand. However, I still find several parts to be extremely funny. So, they were definitely lazy in originality, but, they still accomplished their goal, as I was laughing throughout.

Hangover was far, very far, from a "10". Very overrated IMO.

Watched Robinhood with Russell Crowe the other night. Parts of the movie are really well done, but the whole thing doesn't really add up as well as it could of. It could have been the next gladiator if the story was actually fleshed out in all respects. So they set it up for a sequel and it'll be interesting to see if they make another one. The actors did pretty well and the casting was very good, the movie just seemed clunky at parts and you have to make larger than normal jumps in logic to say it all fits together. It kind of pissed me off because it could have been a very good movie but it collapses under it's own weight at spots. I think I'd like them to make another one and just have some different people direct and write the story.

I think Scoob and I are going to see Chronicle tomorrow ... will post what we think

That movie reminds me a little of Jumper. I'll be interested to see what you think.

That movie reminds me a little of Jumper. I'll be interested to see what you think.

enjoyed it. part of the fun was having no clue where it was going to go next. ending was badass.

more gritty vs. jumper. not a huge fan of the blair witch/cloverfield kind of documentary approach and didn't think this one needed it. after awhile i just forgot about it and watched. nice depiction of what would happen if you gave a distrurbed teenager super powers ...

enjoyed it. part of the fun was having no clue where it was going to go next. ending was badass.

more gritty vs. jumper. not a huge fan of the blair witch/cloverfield kind of documentary approach and didn't think this one needed it. after awhile i just forgot about it and watched. nice depiction of what would happen if you gave a distrurbed teenager super powers ...

Thanks for the synopsis. I'll give it a shot.

I've seen this before. Twilight Zone, Star Trek, and Carrie, just off of the top of my head.

Mr. Popper's Penguins

My wife is reading this book with her 3rd grade students, and my son wanted to watch, so, this became our family movie for the night. I wasn't expecting much, as this only got a 5.9 on IMDB, and it looked like a role that Jim Carrey would go overboard with. I came away pleasantly surprised, as, I liked it more than I thought I would. It was your typical feel-good family movie, but, I thought they did a good job with it. Carrey did a decent job of containing himself, and Penguins are hard to watch without a smile on your face. I thought this was a solid family flick.

50/50

With the awards hype, and the fact that the preview looked very good, I went in with very high expectations on this one. I was not disappointed, as I thought this was a phenomenal movie. Making a movie about cancer somewhat happy and funny is a tough thing to do, but, this movie got it done. Yes, it has some very sad moments, but, they are off-set by some hilarious dialogue. I thought Joseph Gordon-Levitt was brilliant in this role. He is starting to make a good career out of playing these like-able lead characters. Seth Rogen was casted perfectly as the funny best friend, who provides exactly what Levitt's character needs during this tough time. This movie was touching, as it shows what friendship can mean. When my Dad died, my buddy was on an airplane in an hour and flew to PA from Chicago to be there for me. Friends and family are what life is truly about. This movie made me laugh, made me tear-up and made me think about what is important in life. This was a great movie.

American Psycho

This was definitely an "interesting" movie. I know I'm late to the party on this one, but, it was one that I've been wanting to watch. I really enjoyed it. This movie definitely created an odd feeling. Christian Bale was playing a serial killer, but, he was making me laugh throughout the film, even during the murder scenes. That is what made this movie "unique". It's satire of the 1980's New-York City, yuppie Wall Street lifestyles was extremely entertaining and funny. I also like how the movie keeps open "what really happened ?" It leaves the opinion up to the viewers, which I always like. There are some decent performances by Reese Witherspoon & Willam Defoe in supporting roles, but, it is Christian Bale who stands out in this one. He is brilliant as the main character, who makes everything look good on the outside, while containing an absolute maniac on the inside. I also found it interesting that the character's name was Bateman, just one letter added to Bale's future career-changing role. This was definitely a unique movie, and I liked it a lot.

American Psycho

This was definitely an "interesting" movie. I know I'm late to the party on this one, but, it was one that I've been wanting to watch. I really enjoyed it. This movie definitely created an odd feeling. Christian Bale was playing a serial killer, but, he was making me laugh throughout the film, even during the murder scenes. That is what made this movie "unique". It's satire of the 1980's New-York City, yuppie Wall Street lifestyles was extremely entertaining and funny. I also like how the movie keeps open "what really happened ?" It leaves the opinion up to the viewers, which I always like. There are some decent performances by Reese Witherspoon & Willam Defoe in supporting roles, but, it is Christian Bale who stands out in this one. He is brilliant as the main character, who makes everything look good on the outside, while containing an absolute maniac on the inside. I also found it interesting that the character's name was Bateman, just one letter added to Bale's future career-changing role. This was definitely a unique movie, and I liked it a lot.

I love this movie too. There are some pretty hilarious moments like when he discusses the merits of a Phil Collins or Huey Lewis album and starts dancing. And the business card envy. :wacko:

Bridesmaids

This movie definitely proves that a group of women CAN carry a comedy. I thought this was a pretty funny movie. Kristen Wiig has been the funniest member of the SNL cast for quite some time, so, I wasn't surprised with her performance. However, the majority of laughs came from Melissa McCarthy, who definitely deserved her award nomination for this performance. She is extremely funny. The only negative that I have is that the plot is really cookie cutter. You pretty much know where it is going. Despite the been there, done that script, there are still a lot of great laughs. I enjoyed it.