[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BCS Standings

budlitebrad

no surprises, and looks about right. With the fighting Paterno's W - it sure looks like it will be Penn State taking on whoever gets thru undefeated Texas or Bama -

looks like Penn State vs Texas to me

and then open the flood gates as UGA, USC, FLA, Bama, OKL sit there thinking they should be there

how unreal would an 8 team playoff be?? f*cking fantastic!

Texas vs FLA, Bama vs. T Tech, PSU vs UGA, USC vs OKL

no surprises, and looks about right. With the fighting Paterno's W - it sure looks like it will be Penn State taking on whoever gets thru undefeated Texas or Bama -

looks like Penn State vs Texas to me

and then open the flood gates as UGA, USC, FLA, Bama, OKL sit there thinking they should be there

how unreal would an 8 team playoff be?? f*cking fantastic!

Texas vs FLA, Bama vs. T Tech, PSU vs UGA, USC vs OKL

Yeah, true playoff would be sweet, however in some ways the absence of a playoff is sort of what makes college football so exciting today. Just look what we had this weekend #3 vs. #9 and #1 vs #6 while this weekend we get #1 vs. #7 and #6 vs #8. That's pretty exciting in it's own way.

Yeah, true playoff would be sweet, however in some ways the absence of a playoff is sort of what makes college football so exciting today. Just look what we had this weekend #3 vs. #9 and #1 vs #6 while this weekend we get #1 vs. #7 and #6 vs #8. That's pretty exciting in it's own way.

I don't buy that argument at all Rocker -

I have a hard time believing if we did have say an 8 team playoff that is would lessen the importance or intensity of ANY of these big games during the season.

These are big time college matchups and rivalries in any format -BCS or a playoff system -

Also that's why I love my 12 team format, that takes the top 4 CONFERENCE champions based on the BCS rankings, and gives them byes. You throw in the other 2 conference champions, add 6 at large teams based on the standings, no limits on how many teams a single conference can get in, and you play ball. So if the Big 12 or SEC have multiple teams that are championship caliber, then throw them in there, and lets see. I think getting a crucial 1st round bye would be a helluva lot to play for. So if you're Michigan and Ohio State in 2006, you still have plenty to play for (not that they need any added incentive anyway) despite both being pretty much a lock to play in the tournament. But my idea got complete sh|t on by everyone here when I put it out last year, so I don't expect anyone to agree with me.

I don't buy that argument at all Rocker -

I have a hard time believing if we did have say an 8 team playoff that is would lessen the importance or intensity of ANY of these big games during the season.

These are big time college matchups and rivalries in any format -BCS or a playoff system -

Hard to deny that a 8 team playoff wouldn't lessen the importance of next week's big matchups for Texas, Texas Tech, Florida, & Georgia fans. Not to mention Bama, OK, Penn State and USC fans.

I will say this a playoff would likely increase the importance of these big matchups for the fans of teams like Oklahoma State, Utah, TCU, Boise State, tOSU, LSU, Missouri etc.

Also that's why I love my 12 team format, that takes the top 4 CONFERENCE champions based on the BCS rankings, and gives them byes. You throw in the other 2 conference champions, add 6 at large teams based on the standings, no limits on how many teams a single conference can get in, and you play ball. So if the Big 12 or SEC have multiple teams that are championship caliber, then throw them in there, and lets see. I think getting a crucial 1st round bye would be a helluva lot to play for. So if you're Michigan and Ohio State in 2006, you still have plenty to play for (not that they need any added incentive anyway) despite both being pretty much a lock to play in the tournament. But my idea got complete sh|t on by everyone here when I put it out last year, so I don't expect anyone to agree with me.

Brian, let me get this right. Arn't you the one that said both LSU & Ohio State backed into the BCS NC last season? And now you want to extend it to 12 teams that would potentially allow a team like my beloved Tigers to still have a potential shot at the BCS NC? :wacko:

Hmmm...keeping talking :D

Brian, let me get this right. Arn't you the one that said both LSU & Ohio State backed into the BCS NC last season? And now you want to extend it to 12 teams that would potentially allow a team like my beloved Tigers to still have a potential shot at the BCS NC? :wacko:

Hmmm...keeping talking :D

Yep. Why not? It'd be extremely tough for them to get into it after getting blown out twice, but why not? You can't tell me that Texas, Alabama, Penn State, and USC wouldn't all play there asses off for the final weeks of the season to get those extremely important byes, so the idea that it would make the regular season meaningless, I think is irrelevant. And like you just point out, it would allow teams like LSU or other teams in area in the rankings to pick up wins as well. Under the current system, the regular season is only important to a few teams. It's completely flawed.

Yep. Why not? It'd be extremely tough for them to get into it after getting blown out twice, but why not? You can't tell me that Texas, Alabama, Penn State, and USC wouldn't all play there asses off for the final weeks of the season to get those extremely important byes, so the idea that it would make the regular season meaningless, I think is irrelevant. And like you just point out, it would allow teams like LSU or other teams in area in the rankings to pick up wins as well. Under the current system, the regular season is only important to a few teams. It's completely flawed.

I'm confused :wacko:

In the other thread you said" Penn State with 3 first place votes and Alabama with none. In other words, the voters have Penn State as a very strong #3 right now, and it means that if the 3 whiners known as Fla, Oklahoma, and USC are to overcome the fact that they haven't taken care of business, they will have to win some of these next games very convincingly to even be in striking distance to overtake an undefeated Penn State. It just isn't going to happen. An undefeated BCS team will never get left out, UNLESS you have a case like in 2004 where there are 2 other teams from BCS conferences that are undefeated.

So what is it? Does the regular season count or not for all BCS teams or just a few in today's BCS system? :D

There are some that argue that the current format is what drives the popularity of college football presently. At least the part where people constantly discuss and debate the polls and their potential impact on the BCS games and the NC game. Half of the discussions that take place on this board and nationally in general for that matter would go away or at least diminish if the National Champion weren't somewhat mythical. Though logic is the goal when attempting to formulate an appropriate solution it is not always the best way to make money and garner interest in something.

I'm confused :wacko:

In the other thread you said" Penn State with 3 first place votes and Alabama with none. In other words, the voters have Penn State as a very strong #3 right now, and it means that if the 3 whiners known as Fla, Oklahoma, and USC are to overcome the fact that they haven't taken care of business, they will have to win some of these next games very convincingly to even be in striking distance to overtake an undefeated Penn State. It just isn't going to happen. An undefeated BCS team will never get left out, UNLESS you have a case like in 2004 where there are 2 other teams from BCS conferences that are undefeated.

So what is it? Does the regular season count or not for all BCS teams or just a few in today's BCS system? :D

Not quite sure what you are asking me. No one with 1 loss is going to overtake an undefeated team from a BCS conference. It's just not going to happen. And if PSU, Texas, and Alabama all win out, Penn State won't overtake either one of them. What is hard to understand about that? Lets say, Alabama loses. PSU moves up to #2. If they win out, they will be playing Texas. End of story. I'm saying one of those 1 loss teams (probably Florida/Georgia getting an undefeated Bama team in the SEC title game) would have to completely blow out a highly ranked team, to the point that the polls MIGHT consider them over undefeated Penn State. But it still won't make a difference, because Penn State is still sitting there undefeated, and unblemished.

But look at 2007. The way the BCS is set up, you need a bunch of teams to lose to get back up. Ohio State and more importantly, eventual national champion LSU, needed everyone else to fall. Simply winning, wasn't good enough. If the teams at the top keep winning, then yes, the regular season for the rest of the country is completely meaningless. If Alabama and Texas keep winning, no one else is playing for anything. That's the way the BCS is set up.

Lets say USC and Georgia are still undefeated right now. And keep going undefeated. Teams like Texas and Penn State, are completely irrelevant. Your season only becomes meaningful if the top team falls. Maybe that is your idea of making the regular season meaningful. Ask Auburn in 2004 if the BCS system worked for them. Win the SEC (I'm told by everyone it is by far the best conference) while going undefeated. You're telling me that there regular season was meaningful? It was rendered meaningless in preseason when USC and Oklahoma were ranked #1 and #2, and then they never lost.

Ask Auburn in 2004 if the BCS system worked for them. Win the SEC (I'm told by everyone it is by far the best conference) while going undefeated. You're telling me that there regular season was meaningful? It was rendered meaningless in preseason when USC and Oklahoma were ranked #1 and #2, and then they never lost.

Amen brother! This is my biggest problem with the whole thing. I've heard the idea that rankings shouldn't even be posted or considered until the first BCS standings come out to help alleviate this issue but that would only minimize it not eliminate it.

There are some that argue that the current format is what drives the popularity of college football presently. At least the part where people constantly discuss and debate the polls and their potential impact on the BCS games and the NC game. Half of the discussions that take place on this board and nationally in general for that matter would go away or at least diminish if the National Champion weren't somewhat mythical. Though logic is the goal when attempting to formulate an appropriate solution it is not always the best way to make money and garner interest in something.

There seems to be a fair amount of interest in the NFL regular season. The NFL also appears to make a fair amount of money.

Why did Okie Lite fall to 9th? They lost an away game by 4 to the #1 team. Makes no sense.

Same reason if Tech beats Texas this week, they wont jump to #1, like texas did when they beat #1. Voters are idiots. They just dont know any better. I question if some of these voters even watch games every week.