[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yankees pitching.....

willi4

I am sick of all the hub-bub about rebuilding the Yankees pitching staff. Is is me, or does anyone else notice a slide in hitting skills, hitting approach, runs scored, and the like? What happened to the Yankees of 1996-1999? In 1997, 97, 98, and 99, respectively, the Yankees had 1621, 1636, 1625, and 1568 hits. In that same time period, they averaged 907 runs per season with a team batting average of .287. In the last 4 seasons, they have averaged 862 runs per year, and the team batting average is .272. The problem is not that the pitching staff stinks--it is that the offense is not producing like they used to. Hope Donny Baseball can change all that now that he is hitting coach. I can't stand to watch Soriano free-swing away for another whole season.

As a Yankees homer, I'm pretty dissatisfied with the approach they have taken lately. It's rather reminiscient of the 80's when they constantly tried to buy talent instead of developing it. What made them great recently was the development of guys like Jeter, Williams, Posada, Soriano, etc. Now they are just bringing in hired guns again and dealing their young talent. Now, I DO like the deal for Vazquez as at least he's young. However, it does seem like they are getting away from the formula for winning that they had. They have a great player development system and they should focus on that and not deal anymore young studs (i.e. Soriano, who's constantly being mentioned as possible trade bait).

Trojanmojo:

Now, I DO like the deal for Vazquez as at least he's young.

As an Expo fan, let me tell you that you are getting a phenomenal young pitcher, and he is more than worth what you are giving up. Dude was 3rd in the majors in strikeouts, and has really turned into a solid pitcher with excellent control (only 2.23 walks/9 innings in '03 and less than 2 walks/9 innings in '02). He'll be an instant fan favorite in NY, and the Expos will certainly miss him.

I am a longtime fan of the Yankees...........and I agree whole heartedly. How stupid does it look when the payroll is bigger than Warren Sapp's butt and they still can't win the pennant? It is about solid fundamentals and letting the COACHES COACH!