[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HUDDLERS' 2009 NFL MOCK DRAFT!

irish

I see him as the #2 in most rankings. I said that simply because I haven't seen him higher than Rey. I like the LB'ers in this draft.

No picks left for me except maybe the Packer pick. The Saints and Bucs don't have any in the next round. Maybe you can do a 3rd round if this goes well.

With the way things have been moving in this mock and having 42 days before the draft, I would stretch things to a 3rd round if we finish 2 rounds with plenty of time to spare.

Oh and I agree with you on this LBer class, it's pretty solid.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's nothing wrong with being a rookie.

You're doing better than Jonathan Stewart. :D

:wacko: and it can't even be argued.

MrTed and Timmypg are currently on the clock selecting for the Giants.

ETA: I PM'd both.

Edited by irish

The Swammi and I went back and forth on this pick. It was obvious we should have taken our RB of the future here in Beanie Wells, but we thought RB depth in this draft is very deep. We still have needs to fill and we'll address them in the later rounds, but we are thrilled to have Nicks as an added "weapon" in our offense. At 6'1" and 215 lbs. Nicks is a big receiver with tremendous hands that should become a go to guy in the red zone. With Nicks lining up opposite DeSean Jackson, this will allow the Eagles to move Curtis to the slot where he is most comfortable and effective.

Coming out of the first round with potentially an every down TE in Pettigrew and an offensive beast in Nicks the Swam and I are very excited.

FWIW, this has been pretty cool working with a partner in a "war room" so to speak. We kicked around a lot of ideas and we try to come out of every pick with a plan in place. It makes the time between picks a little longer, but it's neat to hear other prospectives.

The Swammi and I went back and forth on this pick. It was obvious we should have taken our RB of the future here in Beanie Wells, but we thought RB depth in this draft is very deep. We still have needs to fill and we'll address them in the later rounds, but we are thrilled to have Nicks as an added "weapon" in our offense. At 6'1" and 215 lbs. Nicks is a big receiver with tremendous hands that should become a go to guy in the red zone. With Nicks lining up opposite DeSean Jackson, this will allow the Eagles to move Curtis to the slot where he is most comfortable and effective.

Coming out of the first round with potentially an every down TE in Pettigrew and an offensive beast in Nicks the Swam and I are very excited.

FWIW, this has been pretty cool working with a partner in a "war room" so to speak. We kicked around a lot of ideas and we try to come out of every pick with a plan in place. It makes the time between picks a little longer, but it's neat to hear other prospectives.

Man you said everything that I was thinking. I purposely didn't post what I was going to because I saw that you were writing up your explanation. My one question was going to be-"How can you pass on Beanie Wells here?!" There's no doubt that Nicks makes a PERFECT compliment to Desean Jackson with Nicks being the larger possession receiver and Jackson being the Burner and then Curtis would move to where he's most effective-the slot. And the drafting of Pettigrew really sets things up nicely for the Eagles to have a great core of weapons around McNabb. However, grabbing Beanie Wells there and getting an early first round RB talent who would compliment Westy and give the Eagles a big RB/banger and Westy's eventual replacement would've been great! Then you could've possibly gotten Nicks in the next round and if not a guy like Iglesias or moreso Brian Robiskie who is bigger than Nicks, whose hands are just as good, runs very solid routes, is a competitor with great work ethic who can make the reads and find open areas. Still a solid pick just wondering if maybe there was better value to be had there.

The other point you made was one I really liked to hear and haven't heard or seen much of at all. I'm glad that you are enjoying the concept of creating the "War Room". I was hoping that we could've done that for each team and that we'd really enjoy the experience of discussing the options with fellow homers. Maybe next year more Huddlers will join in on the fun.

Edited by irish

Man you said everything that I was thinking. I purposely didn't post what I was going to because I saw that you were writing up your explanation. My one question was going to be-"How can you pass on Beanie Wells here?!" There's no doubt that Nicks makes a PERFECT compliment to Desean Jackson with Nicks being the larger possession receiver and Jackson being the Burner and then Curtis would move to where he's most effective-the slot. And the drafting of Pettigrew really sets things up nicely for the Eagles to have a great core of weapons around McNabb. However, grabbing Beanie Wells there and getting an early first round RB talent who would compliment Westy and give the Eagles a big RB/banger and Westy's eventual replacement would've been great! Then you could've possibly gotten Nicks in the next round and if not a guy like Iglesias or moreso Brian Robiskie who is bigger than Nicks, whose hands are just as good, runs very solid routes, is a competitor with great work ethic who can make the reads and find open areas. Still a solid pick just wondering if maybe there was better value to be had there.

The other point you made was one I really liked to hear and haven't heard or seen much of at all. I'm glad that you are enjoying the concept of creating the "War Room". I was hoping that we could've done that for each team and that we'd really enjoy the experience of discussing the options with fellow homers. Maybe next year more Huddlers will join in on the fun.

Exactly or thoughts as well. However the Eagles don't run the football and won't run it under the current regime. In reality, I don't think they will waste a first round pick on a RB.

Exactly or thoughts as well. However the Eagles don't run the football and won't run it under the current regime. In reality, I don't think they will waste a first round pick on a RB.

True enough. Tough decision-making though.

However, grabbing Beanie Wells there and getting an early first round RB talent who would compliment Westy and give the Eagles a big RB/banger and Westy's eventual replacement would've been great! Then you could've possibly gotten Nicks in the next round and if not a guy like Iglesias or moreso Brian Robiskie who is bigger than Nicks, whose hands are just as good, runs very solid routes, is a competitor with great work ethic who can make the reads and find open areas. Still a solid pick just wondering if maybe there was better value to be had there.

It indeed was a tough pick, and when I posted last night in this thread, we were all set to take Wells with the "no-brainer" pick I alluded to. If Wells durability concerns weren't an issue, we likely would have pulled the trigger. And there is no debate the Eagles need an heir-apparent to Westbrook...had Moreno been there at #21, he'd likely be an Eagle now.

But we both felt that we couldn't take any chances here, and had to make a selection that would pay off in spades...and Nicks is that guy. Many boards have him as the the #3 WR, some even ahead of Maclin. We did too., so we felt we got great value. Your note that we might have grabbed him with the #53 pick seems a little reaching....he'd be the next WR off the board, and likely gone in the next 5-10 selections.

He is of the mold of Burress, only a tad faster. We feel he will anchor this passing offense for years to come ,and with Pettigrew, Nicks and DJax, our skill postions at WR/TE are set for the next 5-8 years.

It indeed was a tough pick, and when I posted last night in this thread, we were all set to take Wells with the "no-brainer" pick I alluded to. If Wells durability concerns weren't an issue, we likely would have pulled the trigger. And there is no debate the Eagles need an heir-apparent to Westbrook...had Moreno been there at #21, he'd likely be an Eagle now.

But we both felt that we couldn't take any chances here, and had to make a selection that would pay off in spades...and Nicks is that guy. Many boards have him as the the #3 WR, some even ahead of Maclin. We did too., so we felt we got great value. Your note that we might have grabbed him with the #53 pick seems a little reaching....he'd be the next WR off the board, and likely gone in the next 5-10 selections.

He is of the mold of Burress, only a tad faster. We feel he will anchor this passing offense for years to come ,and with Pettigrew, Nicks and DJax, our skill postions at WR/TE are set for the next 5-8 years.

Vaild points. I love situations like these as I wonder and look forward to how they'll play out. Which WR would've been available for your next pick and how far of a drop-off would he be in compared to Nicks. What RB will be available for you to take for the Eagles, who ends up backing up Westy and how far of a drop-off will he be in comparison to Beanie. I'm interested to see what the Eagles do in the real draft. My only thing was that you had a need at both RB and WR and you had obvious options for both. And IMO, there was a higher rated RB available as opposed to the lesser rated WRs. In my book, Nicks grades out as a 2nd-3rd round pick. Beanie is a sure-fire 1st rounder and possible Top 5-10 pick. So Beanie's an excellent value at this point while Nicks may have been a bit of a reach. I know you have Nicks ranked third but others have him at 9th.

It will be great to see how it plays out.

Mr Ted & I selected Philip Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma.

We felt LB was a need but every good LB was already off the board. We then were hoping Nicks would fall one more spot as WR is a glaring hole for us. Once Nicks went off the board we felt a little OT depth would never hurt. Having 2 seconds will help us add more depth at other more urgent positions later without reaching.

Theprofessor is now on the clock to select for the Titans.

:wacko:

How bout that. But I still feel being able to get Wells with the last pick (absolute steal) and Robiskie in the next round still would've been the better way to go IMO.

Mr Ted & I selected Philip Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma.

We felt LB was a need but every good LB was already off the board. We then were hoping Nicks would fall one more spot as WR is a glaring hole for us. Once Nicks went off the board we felt a little OT depth would never hurt. Having 2 seconds will help us add more depth at other more urgent positions later without reaching.

I don't know. I like later LB'ers and TE's in this draft.

I don't know. I like later LB'ers and TE's in this draft.

Agreed. And the fact that Timmy mentioned not wanting to reach on taking a LBer there but then IMO reached on an OT when there were some better options available not only at OT but at LBer as well. Again to each is own and that's why this is fun to do. What I feel may be better options others may not agree. This is just like the conversation I'm having with the Swammi in regard to taking Nicks over Wells and then having other possible options later.

How bout that. But I still feel being able to get Wells with the last pick (absolute steal) and Robiskie in the next round still would've been the better way to go IMO.

We'll see....Westbrook is 29, and still has a couple years left as a Top 5-10 RB. Do we need a back-up plan at some point? Yep, absolutely. But there are some fliers available in the next couple rounds, and the next two years of drafts to fill that role. We both felt that Wells, based on what we have seen and heard, has too many question marks. There is a reason he has been shunned in this mock, both by us and other Huddlers. You can't waste a 1st-round pick on a guy with issues, peceived or real....too much to lose.

What we don't have right now is a potential stud-WR....now we do. Nicks will be a stud, and could do heavy damage in the Eagles pass-first offense.

FWIW.....Robiskie will likely not be there at #53....if he is, it is because most people likely feel (like we do) that while he might be a nice player, he is not a true impact WR.

We'll see....Westbrook is 29, and still has a couple years left as a Top 5-10 RB. Do we need a back-up plan at some point? Yep, absolutely. But there are some fliers available in the next couple rounds, and the next two years of drafts to fill that role. We both felt that Wells, based on what we have seen and heard, has too many question marks. There is a reason he has been shunned in this mock, both by us and other Huddlers. You can't waste a 1st-round pick on a guy with issues, peceived or real....too much to lose.

What we don't have right now is a potential stud-WR....now we do. Nicks will be a stud, and could do heavy damage in the Eagles pass-first offense.

FWIW.....Robiskie will likely not be there at #53....if he is, it is because most people likely feel (like we do) that while he might be a nice player, he is not a true impact WR.

:wacko: Well said. We really should cut and paste this thread and send it to Tom Heckert. Might get us into the actual war room.

The 3 biggest needs of the Tennessee Titans are at DL, ILB and at WR. The defensive line with the loss of Sir Albert and the lack of youth with Kearse and Vandenbosch entering their 11th and 9th seasons create some issue's that will need to be addressed, but for me, not in the 1st round. There is also a need to get better at the ILB position with Fowler and Tullock manning the inside. The Titans also need to think about the declining age of Keith Bulluck. The Titans have been criticized in the last few years for not addressing their lack of playmakers at the Wide Receiver position. Today, that all changes.

The selection of WR Kenny Britt from Rutgers will give Kerry Collins a great option to improve their passing game. Britt is a great route runner, quick out of his breaks and has the size (6'3 / 220) and strength to compete over the middle and is also a good blocker which will be of great help to CJ3 in the open field.The Titans were holding their breath as they thought that Britt would be picked earlier by either Baltimore, Philadelphia or the NY Giants. This selection will solidify a position that has been a glaring weakness for Tennessee. With the free agent signing of Nate Washington, last years emergence of Justin Gage and the great addition of Kenny Britt look for the Titans to have more balance, offensively, than they have in a long time.

Loyalboyd and Suckmyvick are currently on the clock to make the next selection for the Cardinals and boy or boy should they be ecstatic with the option/s!!

Cardinals Select Bennie Wells because they need a RB bad. Everyone knows this so no need to elaborate on it.

And instead of an Eagle on the helmet there's a Cardinal. :wacko: Great value with this pick, maybe the BEST of the draft to this point. And what an easy selection it was as that's what I meant when I said that you guys had to be pleased with your option/s. Many Cardinals' fans hope that Knowshon lasts to the end of round one, if he goes and Beanie makes it to you... that'd be like hitting the lottery twice over.

Edited by irish

And instead of an Eagle on the helmet there's a Cardinal. :wacko: Great value with this pick, maybe the BEST of the draft to this point. And what an easy selection it was as that's what I meant when I said that you guys had to be pleased with your option/s. Many Cardinals' fans hope that Knowshon lasts to the end of round one, if he goes and Beanie makes it to you... that'd be like hitting the lottery twice over.

I'm a Falcon fan at heart. But figured their draft would be the easiest out of everyone to predict. I knew it would be this easy.