[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You know when you're feelin old... when...

darin3

You know you're feelin' old when you remember guys like Sean Miller (Xavier HC) and Matt Painter (Purdue HC) in their playing days.... and it doesn't even seem that long ago. :wacko:

But yeah, as much as it makes me feel old, it's kinda cool to think "hey, I remember that guy". Miller was a fiesty PG at Pitt (who Xavier faces this round) and Painter was a balding utility player (at Purdue... or was that Brian Cardinal?).

Any other coaches out there that were players not too long ago?

Edited by darin3

You know you're feelin' old when you remember guys like Sean Miller (Xavier HC) and Matt Painter (Purdue HC) in their playing days.... and it doesn't even seem that long ago. :wacko:

But yeah, as much as it makes me feel old, it's kinda cool to think "hey, I remember that guy". Miller was a fiesty PG at Pitt (who Xavier faces this round) and Painter was a balding utility player (at Purdue... or was that Brian Cardinal?).

Any other coaches out there that were players not too long ago?

haha - have u seen Painter homie? full head of hair, but yeah he was a solid player back in the day

Cardinal is still drawing a paycheck in the NBA - and I swear his twin plays in my rec league.

GTS has a nice list above - you can throw in Amaker, Jeff Lebo as well

Texas A&M coach Mark Turgoen was a solid back up point guard at Kansas back when Larry Brown was the coach.

Also, I thought I saw Bryce Drew coaching somewhere not long ago but I'm not sure. Anybody know?

Jeff Capel @ Oklahoma, Travis Ford @ Oklahoma St., Pat Knight @ Texas Tech.....and that's just the Big 12.

Pac-10's got Tony Bennett and Johnny Dawkins.

SEC's got Billy Donovan....

Those are definitely some names I remember from that point in time. Some of these other mentions (like Amaker) were in the group just behind the likes of Miller and Painter (at least from what I remember).

haha - have u seen Painter homie? full head of hair, but yeah he was a solid player back in the day

Cardinal is still drawing a paycheck in the NBA - and I swear his twin plays in my rec league.

GTS has a nice list above - you can throw in Amaker, Jeff Lebo as well

Then yeah I was thinking of Cardinal, who played right after Painter... but yeah I definitely remember Painter now...

Another guy who I remember from the early 90's is John Pelphrey, from Kentucky, who is currently coaching Arkansas. In fact, Pelphrey played on the Kentucky team that was beat by Laettner's infamous last-second shot. Talk about some names from the past... Kentucky was led by seniors Pelphrey, Deron Feldhaus, Richie Farmer, and Sean Woods. The team also included sophomore star Jamal Mashburn, Travis Ford (who as previously mentioned is currently coaching Oklahoma State), and sophomore center Gimel Martinez. :wacko: Martinez was a tall, gangly dude who looked nothing like a basketball player, at first glance, but was a solid role player on that team, from what I remember.