[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Unemployment Benefits Extended

yo mama

The problem with taking a "crummy" job is that you make more on unemployment than the "crummy" jobs pay. I also think that you have to remember that employers pay in for unemployment benefits. It's not welfare.

1. If unemployment benefits are a disincentive to finding a job, then the manner in which we provide unemployment benefits is broken

2. exactly. We're (effectively) trustees over money that has been paid in by employers. We have a social duty to use those funds wisely. Now see point 1, above.

Remember: I support unemployment benefits. My gripe lies in extending those benefits for in excess of two years.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

correct that chart listed MAX benefits

the way they figure out benefits is crazy....has to do with X previous weeks worked and money made or paid or something like that...you could be working a FT job for say 5 months but if you were unemployed or even in say school prior to that you could actually not qualify for benefits...and as was said earlier benefits are TAXED

Only for a single person at least in Illinois, you get a LOT more if you are married with children . .

1. If unemployment benefits are a disincentive to finding a job, then the manner in which we provide unemployment benefits is broken

2. exactly. We're (effectively) trustees over money that has been paid in by employers. We have a social duty to use those funds wisely. Now see point 1, above.

Remember: I support unemployment benefits. My gripe lies in extending those benefits for in excess of two years.

Even if the ratio of jobseekers to jobs is like 5:1 or whatever?

You are right. But that is for a single unemployed person.

If you are married, it goes up. It also goes up for each child you have. The guy I know has 5 kids. He makes more than double that 385 number a week on unemploymnet . . .

I don't think that's right either. That's welfare, not unemployment. At least they didn't ask me if I was married or had kids. They basically just said "how much did you make, how long were you employed, OK you get this, have a nice day."

Edit: apparently it varies by state.

Edited by BeeR

it depends on the jobs they are looking for . . . for quality jobs, I bet the ratio is higher. But why would someone apply for a job where they make less than on unemploymnet?

I'm saying if in the entire economy there are 5 jobseekers for every 1 opening, does that make it OK or even reasonable to extend benefits for more than 2 years...

Ill benefits info http://www.ides.state.il.us/uidocs/bis/wba_determination.pdf

Ill benefits chart http://www.ides.state.il.us/pdf/benefits/wba.pdf

edit; looks like ILL has a max benefit with a spouse and child of $531 but I cant find if additional kids up it

Edited by keggerz

Even if the ratio of jobseekers to jobs is like 5:1 or whatever?

Once upon a time I cleaned the fat deposits and HIV+ blood clots out of synthetic kidneys used in dialysis machines in order to make rent for a year. I also sacrificed a decade of my life to poverty and higher education in order to equip myself for a wider range of employment opportunities. People who fail to find a job in 2+ years of looking aren't going to get a lot of sympathy from me.

A ratio of 5:1 means that things are hard, not impossible. 2 years should be enough for the vast majority of people who are trying as hard as possible.

Ill benefits info http://www.ides.state.il.us/uidocs/bis/wba_determination.pdf

Ill benefits chart http://www.ides.state.il.us/pdf/benefits/wba.pdf

edit; looks like ILL has a max benefit with a spouse and child of $531 but I cant find if additional kids up it

$531.00 is the maximum benefit per week for Illinois . . . . significantly higher than the $335 listed for individuals . . right? :wacko:

Once upon a time I cleaned the fat deposits and HIV+ blood clots out of synthetic kidneys used in dialysis machines in order to make rent for a year. I also sacrificed a decade of my life to poverty and higher education in order to equip myself for a wider range of employment opportunities. People who fail to find a job in 2+ years of looking aren't going to get a lot of sympathy from me.

A ratio of 5:1 means that things are hard, not impossible. 2 years should be enough for the vast majority of people who are trying as hard as possible.

fwiw, I have a job...easily would be considered underemployed but I am employed...been with the County for 1 week shy of 2 yrs...over that time I have continued to look for a job in my area (retail multi unit management)...I have not been able to generate 1 single interview...of course I have limited my options some by not being willing to relocate...I have managed as many as 200 stores nationwide, managed over $44 million in sales and just under 20 years in the industry...not saying it is impossible but it is far from easy...i have even found companies that I liked and wanted to get my foot in the door with and applied for jobs I was easily qualified for (over qualified actually) and was willing to prove myself... yet I didnt even get a response from many of them...it can be very dejecting...but i am sure that there are also many out there that don't look all that hard either

Edited by keggerz

You are right. But that is for a single unemployed person.

If you are married, it goes up. It also goes up for each child you have. The guy I know has 5 kids. He makes more than double that 385 number a week on unemploymnet . . .

$531.00 is the maximum benefit per week for Illinois . . . . significantly higher than the $335 listed for individuals . . right? :wacko:

yes but not DOUBLE :D

edit:and it looks like it doesnt go up for EACH child

Edited by keggerz

I lost my job in November- I have 4 children all under 11 years of age, my wife doesn't work- I get $558 per week (paid every other week), plus an extra $25 per week that was stimulus $$- that is the MAX- doesn't matter if you have 50 kids or if you made $500,000 per year- there IS a cap. ( I live in PA btw)

I was making $72k per year before the layoff- and believe me the $24k per year in UE benefits doesn't come close to paying the bills or putting food on the table- as for the extension- that is great news for me and so many others- I don't feel the slightest bit guilty about taking it as I paid into the pot for over 20 years and never collected prior to this, that is why it's called insurance as far as I am concerned- you use it only when you need it, and I need it now and for the short term future.

EDIT to Add- my good friend who worked w/me also lost his job, he has 2 kids, and also gets the max of $558, it's not like the welfare system where you get more per dependent, UE is based off of how much money you made prior to losing your job, if you made at least 35k or so per year you qualify for the max. if you are single, married, a parent or not, etc. the guy who made 40k, gets the same as the guy who made 100k.

Edited by Marauders11

fwiw, I have a job...easily would be considered underemployed but I am employed...been with the County for 1 week shy of 2 yrs...over that time I have continued to look for a job in my area (retail multi unit management)...I have not been able to generate 1 single interview...of course I have limited my options some by not being willing to relocate...I have managed as many as 200 stores nationwide, managed over $44 million in sales and just under 20 years in the industry...not saying it is impossible but it is far from easy...i have even found companies that I liked and wanted to get my foot in the door with and applied for jobs I was easily qualified for (over qualified actually) yet I didnt even get a response from many of them...it can be very dejecting...but i am sure that there are also many out there that don't look all that hard either

The willingness to relocate is hugh. Many moons ago, the Mrs. had to do exactly that in order to get work. So she pulled up tent stakes and moved from CA to Houston, with or without me (we were just dating at the time). I've always respected her gumption and wondered if more people would be better off if they were willing to do the same.

My point being this: some people choose to limit their options. They won't change fields, take a pay cut, move, go back to school, etc. While I thoroughly respect you for working while you look, how patient must "society" be with those aren't availing themselves of available options? 2+ years seems... overly patient to me, is all.

I lost my job in November-

I don't feel the slightest bit guilty about taking it as I paid into the pot for over 20 years and never collected prior to this.

Very sorry to hear that and I hope you land something as soon as possible. FWIW, I don't think anyone in this thread is saying you should feel guilty. That's what its there for.

I lost my job in November- I have 4 children all under 11 years of age, my wife doesn't work- I get $558 per week (paid every other week), plus an extra $25 per week that was stimulus $$- that is the MAX- doesn't matter if you have 50 kids or if you made $500,000 per year- there IS a cap. ( I live in PA btw)

I was making $72k per year before the layoff- and believe me the $24k per year in UE benefits doesn't come close to paying the bills or putting food on the table- as for the extension- that is great news for me and so many others- I don't feel the slightest bit guilty about taking it as I paid into the pot for over 20 years and never collected prior to this, that is why it's called insurance as far as I am concerned- you use it only when you need it, and I need it now and for the short term future.

EDIT to Add- my good friend who worked w/me also lost his job, he has 2 kids, and also gets the max of $558, it's not like the welfare system where you get more per dependent, UE is based off of how much money you made prior to losing your job, if you made at least 35k or so per year you qualify for the max. if you are single, married, a parent or not, etc. the guy who made 40k, gets the same as the guy who made 100k.

shoot me a PM and let me know what you do...i have a ton of contacts in your area and who knows maybe I could help

The willingness to relocate is hugh. Many moons ago, the Mrs. had to do exactly that in order to get work. So she pulled up tent stakes and moved from CA to Houston, with or without me (we were just dating at the time). I've always respected her gumption and wondered if more people would be better off if they were willing to do the same.

My point being this: some people choose to limit their options. They won't change fields, take a pay cut, move, go back to school, etc. While I thoroughly respect you for working while you look, how patient must "society" be with those aren't availing themselves of available options? 2+ years seems... overly patient to me, is all.

If I were single the entire world would be open as options for me...but I am married, and happily married at that...My wife's family is from this area and my family is within driving distance so I chose to limit my options but even being willing to take a lesser position to prove yourself is a difficult deal for some reason....but I get where you are coming from

Very sorry to hear that and I hope you land something as soon as possible. FWIW, I don't think anyone in this thread is saying you should feel guilty. That's what its there for.

thanks- I guess what I meant by not feeling guilty about it and welcoming the extension is to differentiate between UE and welfare- I paid into UE every paycheck since I was 17, so it's my insurance $$- that's all I meant....and let me tell you for every single available job right now that would pay me what I need to support my family there are literally hundreds of applicants-not a great situation- so if my choices are to go work at Home Depot for $8 per hour or collect my UE, I'm collecting.

For me it's all about survival and making ends meet- if I had a dollar for everyone who isn't out of work who thinks I should be working at McDonald's rather than staying home I'd be a rich man- all I can do is quote the old American Indian Prayer that says...."Grant That I May Not Criticize My Neighbor Until I Have walked a Mile in His Moccasins." I couldn't care less what anyone thinks-my only concern is the welfare of my family