[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little beer shopping tonight

Puddy

The sixers of Westy are 85 here and available at 2 stores. I'd love to go in but don't think my schedule will allow me to get over to the store.

Not bee nactive in this thread, but just read about this beer yesterday and will be stopping in at one of the stores that supposedly got some on my way home tonight. Not sure if I'll even like it, but something to stash and share with my beer aficionado friends if I am able to secure a pack.

The Obsidion stout on nitrogen is excellent. Nice roasty stout you can sink your teeth into. I really like Hop Henge and Hop in the Dark for their IPAs. They are well balanced, interesting beers. I am not at all a fan of the Inversion IPA, Red Chair or Mirror Pond. For standard IPA and Pales, there are significantly better examples on the market. If you can get them, the Black Butte Anniversary and Abyss seasonals are absolutely amazing.

Just had a launch party with the assistant master brewer tried

Mirror pond pale ale- I really enjoyed it. Mainly because it isn't a hop bomb like so many others

Black butte porter- amazing beer in this category smooth as hell and delicious. I would drink this for breakfast

Chain breaker white IPA- a beer that takes a Belgian witbier with the hoppiness of an IPA. I am not a fan of wheat biers in general, but it was very interesting clients I took like wheat beers and they were raving about it.

Red Chair Northwest IPA- best beer in the world 2012. Really outstanding beer

More to come later

Deschutes is teaming up with Great Lakes to make a smoked Imperial Porter. I really like GLBC's Smoked Porter so I can't wait to try this one.

Link

Yeah, the class of 88 series looks very very promising. Looking forward to it! I was surprised to hear of the Goose Island collaboration. With the Bourbon County and Abyss I was expecting something along those lines . . .but a Belgian Golden? :blink:

So the other beers I tried at the release party

Inversion IPA- Very delicious, but with so many great beers in this category it might get lost in the shuffle.

Abyss Stout- Easily the best bourbon cask aged stout I have ever had.

Black Butte IVXX Porter- A double porter that has chocolats nibs added. Delicious, although a 22 OZ bomber would be too much at one sitting. The next edition of this will add figs as well . . . :thinking:

I am sipping on a Black Butte Porter head to head against Edmund Fitzgerald from Great Lakes.

Stuffing my suitcase with plenty of goodies from my trip to Bend. Also got to raise a few with sugar magnolia and her husband. Good folks to be sure and thanks for turning me on to Bend Brewing's Pliney-clone.

On request from one of my managers, I grabbed a Rogue Voodoo Donut.

Also some pricey little collaboration between deschutes and hair of the dog, a black butte XXIV.

Besides that. Some random local IPAs that people had good things to say about.

I've got several hours at PDX later today and plan to drink some laurelwood and grab some more at the Oregon store in the airport.

What did he think of the Voodoo? I'm bringing a bunch of Oregon beer down to Cali over the holiday. At $12.50 a bottle I thought, well a novelty, but I hate to waste $12.50.

Some amazing brews this past week.

Hoppin' Frog collaborated with Amager from Denmark to make an outstanding Imperial Stout - A Chocolate Wheat. 22oz bottle for the very inexpensive (for Hoppin' Frog) $8.99

Thirsty Dog (along with HF, are from Akron) made a special limited Chocolate Honey Stout called Mayan Last Dog. This was good but not as good as I expected.

North Coast Brewing has released a limited Barrel Aged Old Rasputin. Most folks got in 1 case and they go for $19.99 a bomber. Haven't had it yet.

Dogfish Head's Birra Etrusca Bronze - spiced/herbed. One of their ancient recipe beers. Haven't had it yet

Bridge Road Brewers from Australia with Nogne from Norway - an Indian Saison. Limited. Haven't had it yet.

Nogne in collaboration with Terrapin from GA - Imperial Rye Porter. Haven't had it yet

Didn't really care much for the Indian Saison. Weird taste that I can't describe. I puked a little after tasting it. No joke. Poured it all out.

The Dogfish Head was a strong ale. My Brother liked it more than me. He wasn't expecting "all those flavors".

The Chocolate Wheat was very tasty as was the Chocolate Honey Stout.

In the fridge now are 4 Zombie Dusts from 3 Floyds.

A 4 pack of GLBC's Blackout Stout

A 4 pack of Arcadia Ales Cocoa Loco

A 4 Pack of Dogfish Chicory Stout

'Tis the Season for Stouts

Edited by loaf

Anyone know when bells hopslam will be out this year?

should be soon. The Hypeslam train is leaving the station. All Aboard!

Hopslam will start shipping to areas in Michigan, Indiana and Ohio the week of Jan. 7. It will begin shipping to Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, Missouri and Arizona the week of Jan. 14. It will then start shipping to Florida, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Washington DC, Kentucky and Pennsylvania the week of Jan. 21.

Edited by loaf

Three Floyd's Brian Boru old Irish red ale tonight. Simply outstanding.

I've heard this is very good. I enjoy Smithwick's, so when looking up similar style beers, this one kept popping up as a go to. Trying to find somewhere in Southern california where i can get some to try.

Not bee nactive in this thread, but just read about this beer yesterday and will be stopping in at one of the stores that supposedly got some on my way home tonight. Not sure if I'll even like it, but something to stash and share with my beer aficionado friends if I am able to secure a pack.

Only 1 store here in GA only got 2 cases, but if you can't get your hands on the Westy, it is actually the exact same recpie as St. Bernardus Abt 12 (one of my all time favs, definitely favorite belgian abbey), which is obviously far cheaper and not limited.

Of course different breweries and no longer brewed by monks like the Westy, so will be a bit different, but basically the same great beer.

Edited by delusions of grandeur

• 2 weeks later...

I got a case of Hopslam last week. I was on a list for a couple months for 2 cases but they wouldn't let me have 2. Enjoying one now. Still good but as the years go by and I try so many different beers, I'm not as blown away by it as I once was. Not complaining at all just an observation.

I've heard this is very good. I enjoy Smithwick's, so when looking up similar style beers, this one kept popping up as a go to. Trying to find somewhere in Southern california where i can get some to try.

http://www.belhaven.co.uk/row/belhaven/index.php