the outlaw

Cousins Tagged (Exclusive)...

7 posts in this topic

I still don't think the drama is over, yet...my guess is they'll still try to strike a deal w/SF for a ton of picks...we'll see...yeah, I'm overly pessimistic because this team has disappointed way too many times over the past 25 years...

I think a new, big deal is coming for him. 

I sure hope you're right, Irish... at this juncture I have a lot more confidence in Kirk's abilities, than I do Bruce Allen's to do the right thing (I still think he and Danny S. are controlling the purse strings and cap, while Scot McCloughan is merely the talent evaluation guy)!

WAS, who loves to win the off-season, failed horribly.

If they only signed him two years ago when the previous GM said that they should've. Or last year when he wasn't too expensive. Or even now. There's no way, after the bullpoop that WAS has pulled, that he's back with them next year. I'm sure he'd rather play for the dog-butt Browns (sorry loaf and steve)

In a poll of five NFL personnel executives whose teams played the Redskins last season, all five listed Kirk Cousins as a top-15 NFL quarterback and three placed him near or inside the top ten.

Statistics certainly back this up, but there is a feeling Cousins' 2015-2016 success came as a product of Jay Gruden's system. "He's really accurate, has really good timing, touch," said one personnel man. "He's not a great athlete. He's not the biggest. [Mike Shanahan] thought he was Drew Brees. Whether he is or not, I don't know -- but similar attributes. Not the best arm, obviously not as big as you want, but really good rhythm, touch, timing within their offense." If Cousins indeed hits free agency in 2018, he will push to become the NFL's highest-paid player.

No doubt the WAS front office has really mishandled Cousins contract.

According to an ESPN article I'm reading he will be the first QB in NFL history to play under the franchise tag in consecutive seasons.

24M for 2017, 20M for 2016 = 44M for 2 years

Other top QB contracts

Matt Stafford - 2016 3yr/$53M

Matt Ryan - 2014 5yr/$104M

Cam Newton - 2016 5yr/$104M

According to the same ESPN article the Redskins did offer Cousins 5yr/$100M with "low guarantees".

Another ESPN article is pretty negative towards WAS management, including their move to release info on their offer in an attempt to make Cousins look greedy.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20089406/trade-kirk-cousins-washington-redskins-blew-faces-hard-truths-nfl-2017-training-camp

Edited by stevegrab

This is just another example of why the Redskins have not reached the NFCC game in 25 years and I doubt they do so as long as Snyder is around. 

2 people like this

The DC media is really giving Bruce Allen the business - and IMO he richly deserves it.

You can't build a winning tradition by alienating your franchise QB. Yeah the QB market is overheated (see Mike Glennon) but these are the facts so deal with it. Chainsaw Dan Snyder has ruined this once proud franchise.