[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Help Me Pick My 3 Keepers

shnugen27

I'm in a 12 team 0.5 PPR keeper league.  We get to keep 3 keepers from year to year.  How it works is that we loose the draft pick of the round from our keeper - so if I drafted Zeke at 1st round last year and I keep him, then I loose my 1st round pick this year.  If you picked someone off of waivers, then you loose your 10th round pick. 

Roster

QB - Brady (5th)

QB - Rivers (10th)

RB - Peterson (1st)

RB - Ingram (2nd)

RB - Doug Martin (2nd)

RB - Gordon (7th)

WR - Cooks (3rd)

WR - Demariyus Thomas (3rd)

WR - Donte Moncrief (4th)

WR - Stefon Diggs (8th)

WR - Keenan Allen (10th)

WR - Tyrell Williams (10th)

WR - Cameron Meredith (10th)

TE - Tyler Eifert (9th)

Absolutely Keeping

RB - Melvin Gordon (7th)

Possible Keepers

QB – Brady (5th)

WR – Cooks (3rd)

WR – Kennan Allen (10th)

TE – Tyler Eifert (9th)

Eifert and Allen are both good values at the 9th and 10th rounds, respectively, but they both have injury concerns. Brady is also probably a value at the 5th round.  I'm very bullish on Cooks in NE, but at 3rd round that's basically even value. What do you all think?

I agree with Gordon. I would be inclined to gamble on Allen -injury history. He can play most if not all games he would be a steal at round 10. Brady is good value at the 5th round. If you are not comfortable with the risk on Allen go with Cooks & double down on the PATS players. You would be double dipping on the points from one of the most successful QB's in the NFL to the WR you have on your team. I cant dismiss though that I think the VALUE will be higher on Rivers with a 10 round pick. In which case I would definitely go with Cooks over Allen as you would be too heavy on the LAC at that point. And there is no way I am not taking Gordon out of the group of RB you have. Especially with a cost of only a 7th round pick.

IMO, Gordon and Allen are the easy ones - both represent very good value.

In a 12 team league, I can't suggest a QB - just not enough value there to justify keeping one. Rivers is providing a lot of value, but that is a lot of shares in the Chargers offense. Cooks is intriguing but not offering a ton of value as a 3rd round keeper. I'd actually be more inclined to keep Diggs. Similar improvement like he showed from year 1 to year 2 in the magical Year 3, and a slight bump in TDs and he is a screaming WR value.

If you go that route, you basically have your RB1 locked up, plus WR2 and 3 locked up (both of whom have borderline WR1 potential) at the cost of a 7th, 8th and 10th round pick. You can now focus on best player available in the draft and really load up your lineup with your first couple of picks.

This is all really helpful!

I'm not sure about Diggs considering the emergence of Thielen and the improvement to the Minn running game with Murray and Cook. He's super talented but I'm not sure he's going to get the targets to make him worth it.

Seems like the possible combos here are: 

(1) Brady and Cooks

(2) Brady and Allen

(3) Rivers and Cooks

Thoughts? 

I'm surprised no one thought Eifert at 9th was worth a keep, but he's pretty risky. 

On 8/9/2017 at 1:14 PM, Big Country said:

IMO, Gordon and Allen are the easy ones - both represent very good value.

In a 12 team league, I can't suggest a QB - just not enough value there to justify keeping one. Rivers is providing a lot of value, but that is a lot of shares in the Chargers offense. Cooks is intriguing but not offering a ton of value as a 3rd round keeper. I'd actually be more inclined to keep Diggs. Similar improvement like he showed from year 1 to year 2 in the magical Year 3, and a slight bump in TDs and he is a screaming WR value.

If you go that route, you basically have your RB1 locked up, plus WR2 and 3 locked up (both of whom have borderline WR1 potential) at the cost of a 7th, 8th and 10th round pick. You can now focus on best player available in the draft and really load up your lineup with your first couple of picks.

I'd also go Gordon, Allen, and Diggs for the reasons BC gave.

Gordon

Allen - not really a risk in the 10th but the upside is incredible.

But because of the potential for Brady to Cooks often I might take Gordon, Cooks and Brady because you can maximize FF pts when they connect (assuming 6pts per passing/catching TD's).  That could be the biggest reason to keep those two together, you're not over drafting but you're not getting that bigger value although it's not always easy to have a situation with a top three QB throwing to another elite talent on your team.  Brady is good easily good to get 2+ TDs a week you have to think Cooks has good opportunity to catch about 10 of the 40 TDs TB12 throws, automatic 12 pts plus yards. Just a different angle.  Gordon, Allen, Diggs or Cooks does get you a good base and value.. But Brady for a 5th isn't bad value at all.

3 hours ago, robotpimp said:

Gordon

Allen - not really a risk in the 10th but the upside is incredible.

But because of the potential for Brady to Cooks often I might take Gordon, Cooks and Brady because you can maximize FF pts when they connect (assuming 6pts per passing/catching TD's).  That could be the biggest reason to keep those two together, you're not over drafting but you're not getting that bigger value although it's not always easy to have a situation with a top three QB throwing to another elite talent on your team.  Brady is good easily good to get 2+ TDs a week you have to think Cooks has good opportunity to catch about 10 of the 40 TDs TB12 throws, automatic 12 pts plus yards. Just a different angle.  Gordon, Allen, Diggs or Cooks does get you a good base and value.. But Brady for a 5th isn't bad value at all.

Unless the league has very unique rules providing a bonus to an owner that has both the passer and receiver on a TD, there is nothing to be gained by having the QB and the WR from the same team. You have to approach this as taking the best value - if that happens to be a QB and WR from the same team, so be it, but it is a non-factor in assessing the value.

Gordon is great value and Eifert, its hard to get good a solid RB and TE QBs and WRs are a dime a dozen.

I'd say take Brady so you can keep the 3rd rd pick there might be someone better than Cook.

Also I try not double dip on a team, if one guy has a bad game they both do.

I had Brees and Cook last season and they won me games for sure, but they also lost me a few regardless of end of season stats.

Locking up two roster spots with one team can suck if they are doing poor.

Try drafting a counter to people in your division, for instance a guy in my division has Brady...

I have Cooks (so don't think I don't like him. I just think you could get better with a 3rd rd pick.) to hopefully cancel out Brady this year.  

Hope that helps.

TLDR

RB Gordon

TE Eifert

QB Brady

Thanks everyone for the help!  Definitely think I'm leaning Allen now as my second 2nd keeper after Gordon.

3rd keeper still between Brady or Cooks. 

Not sure I like Diggs as a keeper since I feel I can redraft him in rounds 7-8.

Eifert seems to have an ADP around 6th round, so I like his value...but not sure of keeping both Allen and Eifert since they're both injury prone.

Either way I can use my 1st and second rounds on a RB1 and WR1, which is an exciting prospect. 

Edited by shnugen27

I definitely go Gordon and Allen. Cooks and Diggs are going about the round you will get them in as a keeper. Brady will is probably gonna go a little higher than where you can keep them. Without knowing the other keepers, I think it just comes down to your personal preference with Brady, Cooks, and Diggs. If you a person that likes to wait on QB, then pick one of the WR's. I usually wait on QB till later in the draft, but I think Brady is gonna have a Monster year. He has his weapons from last year PLUS Gronkowski and Cooks.

Edited by zing

Depends on how much you like Keenan Allen. If you want pure value, I would go Brady, Gordon, and Allen, because although you'll miss out on Cooks in the 3rd, you're also giving up potential WRs you could be getting in the 3rd who may be just as good as Cooks.