[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dez is in decline?

dougsul

I know he is the number one receiver and therefor gets matched up with the best corners each week, but that has always been the case.  His numbers keep declining year over year and although he is only 27 years old, he just seems like he is major decline.  He use to be elite, although I don't have the stats  he has not gone over 100 yards in a game in a really long time. could be since 2015.

He has never been that fast and doesn't have a mastery of the route tree. He can be covered because he is predictable and seems to only be open on broken plays. Still it's only less then half the year and they said that about Baldwin and Tate last year. When the games get BIG the stars come out. We'll see but I wouldn't give up on him yet. Teams are still finding out who they are and what they can and can't do. Second half of the season will tell all. Always does. In fantasy down the stretch is when the players show out and the real push begins. Still time to show what they have been hiding from the league until crunch time.

Edited by Cowboyz1

9 minutes ago, Cowboyz1 said:

He has never been that fast and doesn't have a mastery of the route tree. He can be covered because he is predictable and seems to only be open on broken plays. Still it's only less then half the year and they said that about Baldwin and Tate last year. When the games get BIG the stars come out. We'll see but I wouldn't give up on him yet. Teams are still finding out who they are and what they can and can't do. Second half of the season will tell all. Always does. In fantasy down the stretch is when the players show out and the real push begins. Still time to show what they have been hiding from the league until crunch time.

I steered clear this year...first time too..I do not see the commitment ...hes coasting into retirement. no concussions and no desire. it seems he's never open anymore. 

Edited by boltnlava

31 minutes ago, pegos said:

Dez was never elite and was only ever as productive as he was cause Romo force fed him  

True but it takes time to learn to trust a guy like Dez to deliver and in big games he has for the most part. He was dominate in GB while covered. He's still a guy that can go get the ball and once Dak trusts he won't get picked and learns where to throw the ball for Dez I believe they will be fine. Dez is a possession receiver and can make the big play but for what ever reason they don't throw the slant on deep cover two plays where the middle is totally wide open. The playmaker made a living on that route and there is no reason that I can see why they don't take that 10 yard slant until the defense stops it which opens up the out routes and skinny posts. It's open all game long and I get so frustrated when they run Dez into coverage when they are playing 5 to 10 yards off and the LB's are bailing out and the safety's are playing deep middle. Makes no sense unless Dak can't throw it consistently yet. I see 5 catches for 10 yards and a big play on slants in every game but they don't seem to run it.

At Dez's age he should be a master at his craft and know all the subtleties of the route tree but it doesn't seem so. Fitz is a guy that know how to find soft spots in the zone and make plays. Dez may not be able to comprehend the next level of route running. We'll see but I'm not giving up on him just yet.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Dez isn't elite and his speed isn't elite but he's still a very talented player. I don't see a guy like Dez aging well and I think some of what we're seeing is due to that, the other part is that Dak spreads the ball much more effectively than Romo ever did. Dez got by in college on his athleticism alone and he definitely doesn't have the work ethic of a guy like Fitzgerald or the Raw ability of a guy like Calvin. He's been in the league for awhile so there's always a chance to rebound, he's got a chance. But so far it looks like he's going to decline as he ages until he starts getting creative in his route running, which was never a strong suite of Dez. That being said, he's always going to be a Redzone threat and I don't see that ever going away. Guy plays tough physical football for the most part.

Edited by Inziladun

9 minutes ago, JoJoTheWebToedBoy said:

He's been on the decline for several years now... And with no real #2 (why is Williams still in the NFL???) it just makes matters worse

In large part due to missed time, only played in about half the games over the last 3 years (missed 21 out of 48)

In 2016 he played 13 games, 50 rec, 800yds, 8TD,

2012-2014 were all close to 90rec, 1300yds, 12TD  (75-85% catch rate)

Wow, here's a bad stat for Dez the past few years, catch% (career is 67.5) 2015=43, 16=52, 17=44

At his current rate for 2017, if he plays all season he'll have about 65-70rec, 800yds 10TDs

3 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Dez's best single season catch % is 66.7%.   I think you looked over a column on Pro-Football Reference.  He has averaged 67.5 yards per game and that column is next to catch % column.  They don't show a career catch % but it is 58.5%.

Thanks for catching that, seemed like a massive drop off should have looked closer. The last 3 years it comes to 47.5%, that still pretty big.