[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Deeper Sleepers

darin3

If Carson wins the starting job, it wouldn't be the first time a hard-working but lesser talent running back won the job.  It happens a lot especially when the more talented running back is a rookie.  And Pete Carroll is the type of coach who would do it.

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

If Carson wins the starting job, it wouldn't be the first time a hard-working but lesser talent running back won the job.  It happens a lot especially when the more talented running back is a rookie.  And Pete Carroll is the type of coach who would do it.

Yeah... ain't gonna happen.

20 hours ago, kdko said:

I was one of the first people that was vocal about him last year after watching him in preseason.  That being said, he doesn't have anywhere near the skillset and ceiling that Penny does.  Plus, Carson can't stay healthy.  He was injured all through college.  I'd bet taking the season off from the forums :D

Already paid for my subscription so can't really go there...how about a 6-pack of beer from a local brewery or a bottle from a distillery or winery?  Bet would have to be that either Penny or Carson take the 1st snap on offense in the 1st game of the regular season...if either one gets hurt before that game or neither of them are in there then no bet.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ABearWithFurniture said:

Already paid for my subscription so can't really go there...how about a 6-pack of beer from a local brewery or a bottle from a distillery or winery?  Bet would have to be that either Penny or Carson take the 1st snap on offense in the 1st game of the regular season...if either one gets hurt before that game or neither of them are in there then no bet.

I'm down for that :brew:

On 6/30/2018 at 5:55 PM, tazinib1 said:

I'm kinda pist I didn't get J'Mon Moore in more leagues. I waited too long almost every time. 

There some hot news on him or something?  Never heard of him.  I love the name though

31 minutes ago, kdko said:

There some hot news on him or something?  Never heard of him.  I love the name though

Packers 4th round pick. He's being touted as the slot WR replacement for Jordy Nelson. We'll see. 

• 4 weeks later...

Bill Belichick often praises players on opposing teams but rarely praises his own players.  So I'm less apt to believe that this is just coachspeak.  A Gronk injury could thrust Hollister into a big role.  A Gronk injury is not an unlikely event.  Hollister is a player worth monitoring.  Or more accurately, Gronk's injury status is worth monitoring.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/12491/jacob-hollister

Coach Bill Belichick praised second-year TE Jacob Hollister, saying, "I think he has a great future."
An UDFA pickup last year, Hollster appeared in 15 games as a rookie, catching 4-of-11 targets for 42 scoreless yards. A catch-first tight end who didn't block much at all in college, Hollister has a chance to make some strides behind Rob Gronkowski and push Dwayne Allen for snaps in "12" personnel. Jul 30 - 7:44 PM

Karen Guregian Monday, July 30, 2018

Meet Jacob Hollister. Of late, the undrafted free agent out of Wyoming, now entering his second season with the Patriots, has been working in the special side group with Tom Brady, which is always a positive sign. He’s looking more poised and more confident this camp.

While it’s not fair to compare him to Hernandez football-wise just yet, at the very least, he’s piqued our curiosity in the early going.

First, as in OTAs and minicamp, he’s stood out with his play. It’s hard not to notice he has great hands, making several notable catches over the course of the first four days of camp. On Saturday, he held on to a missile Brady fired in the back of the end zone along the end line which drew praise from the quarterback during 7-on-7 red zone work.

Then Sunday he made a lunging grab of a Brian Hoyer pass in the back corner of the end zone with safety Eddie Pleasant tight in coverage.

Hollister, who is 6-foot-4, 245-pounds, is considered a multi-dimensional or “move” tight end. In other words, he can line up just about anywhere.

The Patriots have tried for years to replicate what they had with Hernandez, who was also a “move” tight end, but they just haven’t found a suitable model. Martellus Bennett has been the best they’ve had partnered with No. 87, but he and Gronk were never really healthy at the same time.

They also had Scott Chandler, but they’ve never been able to duplicate the kind of favorable matchup situations they had with both Gronk and Hernandez on the field. Offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels could move them all over the formation and that wreaked havoc with defenses.

Dwayne Allen may have proved a valuable blocking tight end last season, but provided little as a pass catcher. Hollister, with a year under his belt, could be ready for a break out.

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Thanks 2

On 6/28/2018 at 11:59 AM, kdko said:

I'm down for that :brew:

From Rotoworld:  ESPN Seahawks reporter Brady Henderson considers Chris Carson "the favorite" to enter the season as Seattle's starting running back.  By all accounts, Carson has been running circles around the rest of the running backs in Seahawks camp. He looks "all the way back" from last season's ankle/leg injury and has added 10 pounds of muscle to his frame. Seattle used a first-round pick on Penny, and he's obviously going to have a role, but Carson appears to be the favorite for touches right now. Penny is currently being drafted in the fourth round of fantasy drafts, while Carson can he had in the 11th round.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2018 at 8:42 AM, BA Baracus said:

I'm liking a bet on Jaron Brown at his ADP. Could end up being Russell Wilson's WR2.

Jaron is intriguing.  There are a lot of targets available with the departures of Jimmy Graham and Paul Richardson.  With Brandon Marshall possibly doneski, Jaron might be the only wide receiver on the field with any size.  And I don't think Ed Dickson will be much competition for targets.  It also wouldn't surprise me if Doug Baldwin's knee injury is far more serious than they are letting on.  Their description of his knee issue has been extremely vague but they have said that the cause of the problem is unknown.  And they have said that it has been a problem that has lingered.  An injury having an unknown cause and having lingered is a bad combination.  It sounds like something they are hoping heals itself but it could easily end up requiring surgery. Situations like this often lead to arthroscopic or meniscus surgery which aren't season-ending surgeries.  But microfracture surgery would be season-ending.  With Tyler Lockett probably being just a role player, Jaron could be hugh while Doug is out.  It's not inconceivable that Jaron could end up being the Seahawks' top receiver this season.

Edited by michaelredd9

guy im watching a close eye on here is hines in indy.....im suprised no one has mentioned him...i see him as a potential tarik cohen(or what they are projecting him to be this year)....i read somewhere i think that PFF had him rated as the best pass blocking back in his class last year.....and i hear hes lining up at receiver a bit too.....hes def not a 3 down back.....but could be a hurry up/2 minute/3rd down guy with some packages as a receiver too...im keeping a close eye on him

3 hours ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

guy im watching a close eye on here is hines in indy.....im suprised no one has mentioned him...i see him as a potential tarik cohen(or what they are projecting him to be this year)....i read somewhere i think that PFF had him rated as the best pass blocking back in his class last year.....and i hear hes lining up at receiver a bit too.....hes def not a 3 down back.....but could be a hurry up/2 minute/3rd down guy with some packages as a receiver too...im keeping a close eye on him

I drafted him in 3 leagues

9 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Jaron is intriguing.  There are a lot of targets available with the departures of Jimmy Graham and Paul Richardson.  With Brandon Marshall possibly doneski, Jaron might be the only wide receiver on the field with any size.  And I don't think Ed Dickson will be much competition for targets.  It also wouldn't surprise me if Doug Baldwin's knee injury is far more serious than they are letting on.  Their description of his knee issue has been extremely vague but they have said that the cause of the problem is unknown.  And they have said that it has been a problem that has lingered.  An injury having an unknown cause and having lingered is a bad combination.  It sounds like something they are hoping heals itself but it could easily end up requiring surgery. Situations like this often lead to arthroscopic or meniscus surgery which aren't season-ending surgeries.  But microfracture surgery would be season-ending.  With Tyler Lockett probably being just a role player, Jaron could be hugh while Doug is out.  It's not inconceivable that Jaron could end up being the Seahawks' top receiver this season.

Yeah, good post.  I am glad I held Brown in one of my dynasties.  I think he's in a real nice spot to perform well this season.

10 hours ago, darin3 said:

I think he's in a real nice spot to perform well this season.

Hopefully it's not a situation where the opportunity is better than the player.  Jaron didn't do much in Arizona.  Although he did have quality receivers in front of him early in his career and poor quarterbacking last year.  And Larry Fitzgerald hogged all of the security blanket throws.  One synergy Jaron might have with Russell Wilson is that Jaron is bound to get open with his 4.29 speed with the extra time Wilson creates with his scrambling.  And Wilson is a great deep ball passer.  With few good short range targets available, Wilson might be willing to take more deep shots.

On 8/1/2018 at 3:33 PM, ABearWithFurniture said:

From Rotoworld:  ESPN Seahawks reporter Brady Henderson considers Chris Carson "the favorite" to enter the season as Seattle's starting running back.  By all accounts, Carson has been running circles around the rest of the running backs in Seahawks camp. He looks "all the way back" from last season's ankle/leg injury and has added 10 pounds of muscle to his frame. Seattle used a first-round pick on Penny, and he's obviously going to have a role, but Carson appears to be the favorite for touches right now. Penny is currently being drafted in the fourth round of fantasy drafts, while Carson can he had in the 11th round.

I expect Carson to be completely irrelevant or injured by week 2 or 3.

On 6/28/2018 at 2:42 AM, kdko said:

Carson can't stay healthy.  He was injured all through college.

I just did a search on Carson's injury history.  The only injury in college that I could find was a thumb injury.  He did tear his acl in high school.  His physical running style might put him at a little extra risk of some kinds of injuries.  But most serious injuries occur from something awkward happening.

13 hours ago, ABearWithFurniture said:

I blame it all on Seattle's non-existent offensive line over the past years...but supposedly it's better this season.  Guess we'll see...

Seattle's offensive lines has been bad.  PFF started ranking offensive lines in 2009.  Seattle's offensive line hasn't finished in the top half of the league even once.  Duane Brown, while good, isn't enough to end that streak.  I do understand Seattle putting so few resources into the offensive line.  Russell Wilson might be the best quarterback at scrambling in the history of the NFL.  He needs offensive line protection less than any quarterback.  It seems strategic to use salary cap dollars and draft picks on the defensive side of the ball because the offense will always be decent as long as Russell Wilson is quarterback.

Seattle's Offensive Line Rankings according to PFF

2009 17th

2010 22nd

2011 29th

2012 20th

2013 27th

2014 19th

2015 30th

2016 32nd

2017 27th

SeahawksOLine-768x434.jpg

Edited by michaelredd9

On 8/5/2018 at 3:50 AM, michaelredd9 said:

I just did a search on Carson's injury history.  The only injury in college that I could find was a thumb injury.  He did tear his acl in high school.  His physical running style might put him at a little extra risk of some kinds of injuries.  But most serious injuries occur from something awkward happening.

Carson's a pounder and seems to be a good one, but I have a hard time seeing him as more than just a part time back, especially with a 3 cone drill of over 7.5.  I mean it's possible that he could have slipped during the drill or just had a bad run, but still...

I'd sell high on him and buy low on Penny when able to, especially in dynasty.

Edited by Crazysight