[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thoughts on Royce Freeman going forward

Bronco Steve_85

Vance Joseph came out today and said that Royce deserves more opportunities. 

“He played about 16 or 17 plays last night, but he needs more opportunities because he is playing good football.”

He looked really good Monday night granted it was against the Chiefs who’s defense is not really anything to talk about but still... I could see it being a more even split between Lindsay and Freeman going forward what do y’all think? They would both greatly benefit from Booker being phased out of the offense but it seems the coaching staff really like what Booker brings to the table.

wild to me that a guy can be average 5 ypc with 3 tds through 4 games and be kind of disappointing....guy also has 10 carries of 10+ yards..3rd in the league.....and that TD run he had Monday was impressive

I realize both Lindsay and freemans ypc are anchored by some big runs...but its a shame to me that they only ran the ball 20 total times Monday ....to me that was a game they should have been around 18 and 16 each in order to win that game.....

18 minutes ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

wild to me that a guy can be average 5 ypc with 3 tds through 4 games and be kind of disappointing....guy also has 10 carries of 10+ yards..3rd in the league.....and that TD run he had Monday was impressive

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a running back to be elite without receptions.

2 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a running back to be elite without receptions understand what goes through the mind of Vance Joseph with his 3-headed freakshow RBBC.

Fixed.

18 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

I wouldn't call it 3 headed. Booker only get 3 touches

90% of rushing attempts split evening between Lindsey and Freeman, the other 10% for Booker.  Booker gets a few more receptions than the others, nearly doubling his touches, but its still below 20% of the RB touches. 

25 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

both of you are wrong. I was wrong.

This year, in limited action, Booker has looked very good. I was wrong and I am happy, as a DEN fan, that Booker is our #3.

He might be fine as a #3...but think about what we're saying when we say that....it's like hes good enough of a pitcher to round out someone's bullpen....might be a good pass blovker and decent catcher...but he's even below his sad career ypc on the 11 carries he has 

I think I get what ur saying...as a #3 he has more experience and touches than most #3s around the league...but he still kinda stinks 

Teams like Denver, Detroit, Atlanta, etc... can be frustrating from a FF perspective.  

In Detroit, everyone knows Blount shouldn't get as many carries as he is getting yet the HC keeps forcing the carries.  Value goes down for Kerryon Johnson.

In Denver, you have two RBs that are playing well.  Freeman and Lindsay are playing so well that there is really no chance to get a dominant RB carrier.  This week, I am sitting both and trying out Kerryon.  Not really an easy decision.

Booker has no business getting any carries unless the game is a blowout.  

2 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

You say that because of ff. I get it, but in situations, he's been good for DEN

Everything said on here has a bit of FF intertwined.  

Booker is not good man. 

He is averaging 3.3 YPC.  If Denver has two solid RBs playing well, his role (barring injury) should be obsolete.   

So far, Royce has the 5th highest PFF grade for running backs.  Booker has the 4th worst. 

PFF grades of Denver's running backs:

Rank                                           Overall      Run   Receiving  Pass Block

5 Royce Freeman DEN        76.2     75.1      57.5         83.6     
20 Phillip Lindsay   DEN       68.9     75.3     52.0          28.4     
56 Devontae Booker DEN    53.7     44.5      69.4         27.3     

2 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

2018 snap counts:

Phillip Lindsay RB 89 33.21%          
Devontae Booker RB 87 32.46%          
Royce Freeman RB 90 33.58%

So Booker is on the field the same as the others but rarely touches the ball, sounds like a blocking back, and not part of any RBBC. 

Not sure what the point was of posting snap counts, being on the field is pointless if you're not touching the ball. 

4 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

So Booker is on the field the same as the others but rarely touches the ball, sounds like a blocking back, and not part of any RBBC. 

Not sure what the point was of posting snap counts, being on the field is pointless if you're not touching the ball. 

Royce is the 31st highest scoring running back.  If you add Booker's stats to Freeman's stats, he would be the 15th highest scoring running back.  #AllSnapsMatter

• Like 1

15 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Royce is the 31st highest scoring running back.  If you add Booker's stats to Freeman's stats, he would be the 15th highest scoring running back.  #AllSnapsMatter

So if Booker wasn't there and Freeman got all his snaps and all his stats.......  

When I pointed out touches it was to confirm that Booker is not really a part of the committee, just the 3rd guy getting scraps. Then you posted the snap counts, which are near even for all 3. I figured that was some sort of counterpoint.

I feel like a need some kind of secret decoder ring to understand some of your points.