[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chicagoans.......

rocknrobn26

How did y'all fare? Everyone in our neighborhood (around the block, 20 houses) got at least some water in their basements. Anywhere from an inch to 2'! We have a sub-basement, only 4' below grade. We spent 2+ hours bailing out the sump pit, because we lost power for 5+ hours. Only our neighbor behind us and us got no water! :D Lots of carpet, toys, etc. sitting on the streets edge. One guy has a generator and he still flooded! :lol: I had to leave the Chat room because I was worried.

FWIW I live in Winfield. No, not Katrina, but the worst storm I can remember for at least 25 years. I hope all is well with y'all, 'cause we have another storm coming in tonite! :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly happened? Sewers back up? Lose power on sump pumps?

Edit: duh, read the post again. Getting water in the basement sucks. I'm lucky enough to be high enough to gravity flow into the sewer; I'll definitely remember to buy a battery or water power sump for a backup when I move to Chi-town.

Edited by Dr. Love

What exactly happened? Sewers back up? Lose power on sump pumps?

Edit: duh, read the post again. Getting water in the basement sucks. I'm lucky enough to be high enough to gravity flow into the sewer; I'll definitely remember to buy a battery or water power sump for a backup when I move to Chi-town.

When are you moving? PM if you wish. I just can't believe it was Us and 1 other house that had no damage! :D I'm considering a batt BU, but as I said a neighbor w/ a generator still got water. BTW, it was brackish water, not the poopy type! ThankGod! Let's talk, Doc! :lol:

I live in an apartment, haven't been down in the basement yet. It was an intense storm though.

Why was I thinking that you moved away? :D Apartments are safe. Mrs. RR just helped RR juniorette into an apartment/condo last weekend, just about a mile north of Wrigley Field. 3 flight walk up! :lol: I'll see it one of these days. Are you still in the Loop? Close? Let me know.

rr26

When are you moving? PM if you wish. I just can't believe it was Us and 1 other house that had no damage! :D I'm considering a batt BU, but as I said a neighbor w/ a generator still got water. BTW, it was brackish water, not the poopy type! ThankGod! Let's talk, Doc! :lol:

Why was I thinking that you moved away? :D Apartments are safe. Mrs. RR just helped RR juniorette into an apartment/condo last weekend, just about a mile north of Wrigley Field. 3 flight walk up! :lol: I'll see it one of these days. Are you still in the Loop? Close? Let me know.

rr26

No, I'm about a mile and 1/2 northwest of Wrigley. Main floor apartment about 8 feet above ground level. Great area. What's the name of the neighborhood your junior lives in? Ravenswood, Lincoln Square, Uptown, Wrigleyville? I'm in Lincoln Square.

No, I'm about a mile and 1/2 northwest of Wrigley. Main floor apartment about 8 feet above ground level. Great area. What's the name of the neighborhood your junior lives in? Ravenswood, Lincoln Square, Uptown, Wrigleyville? I'm in Lincoln Square.

Uptown , I think. N. Kenmore. About a mile north from where she used to live, which was 4 blocks west of Wrigley Field! :D All I know is she's in a 3 flight walkup! :D Just what my knees need! :lol:

Edit: duh, read the post again.

:D:lol: Doc...ya kill me! You're moving to Chicago?

Robn....it looked pretty nasty on the radar just before you left the Chat! Then fizzled out here and we had NO rain at all. You dodged a bullet there on no water damage.....yeah! :D

Robn, it was worse for us two Friday's ago. We lost our power and our subdivision flooded. I'm lucky to be on high ground. I had to let Penny out in the height of the rain last night. Lots of hail as well.

As I type this, I'm getting ready for softball and I'm sure by the time we get done with our 9:50 game, we'll see the lightning out there.

Sorry to hear you had to bail all night.

Edited by gilthorp

Luckily no problems here. The storm just threw everyone's stuff in our yard. We dont have a basement, just a ground level family room and we are the highest on the block so no flooding here. This morning, I gathered up all the lawn chairs, plants, garbage cans, and toys and such that blew in our yard and placed them on the front lawn and slowly my neighbors came by to get their belongings. It was very scary altho we only had power flickering off and on. So as bad as it was..... we faired pretty well. My son drove home from school about 10:30 p.m. last night and ran into many flooded streets and downed trees. A big huge tree was up rooted on Lake St in Roselle and was blocking the street and pulled down power lines. (which didnt affect us, thankfully) I will be remembering this storm for a very long time tho. Glad you all got thru it fine, too.

When are you moving? PM if you wish. I just can't believe it was Us and 1 other house that had no damage! :D I'm considering a batt BU, but as I said a neighbor w/ a generator still got water. BTW, it was brackish water, not the poopy type! ThankGod! Let's talk, Doc! :D

I'll be in Buffalo Grove next week Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Perhaps we could do dinner or something?

:lol::lol: Doc...ya kill me! You're moving to Chicago?

I'm glad that my idiocy amuses. My new job will be taking me to Buffalo Grove, which is ~15 min north of O'hare.

I'm up here by the state line. The wind was blowing incredibly hard, and the tornado sirens were going off all around us because a warning was issued. :D:D Of course it was dark, which makes it even more scary. We ducked downstairs and rode it out. The power did stay on and no trees came down. I feel bad for the folks who got hit worse than we did. :lol:

I'm at school in Indiana but I am from Northbrook, norther suburb of Chicago. My sister said it was basically hailing and stuff. She was going nuts every two seconds. It sounded pretty bad; pretty wild man....Rockrobn, hope all is cool with your house.

Edited by Goopster24

I'll be in Buffalo Grove next week Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Perhaps we could do dinner or something?

I'm glad that my idiocy amuses. My new job will be taking me to Buffalo Grove, which is ~15 min north of O'hare.

Tuesday is iffy, as I have a late afternoon appointment. I'll checkout Wed..

I've got clients in Buffalo Grove/Lincolnshire/Vernon Hills and am up there often during the day.

Gil,

What's good for you?

Wednesday's can work. Tuesday's are softball night.

Wednesday can work for me also. That place we met Darin at is a good location even if it's just for a few drinks.

Doc Love, what do you think? Gil?

Wednesday can work for me also. That place we met Darin at is a good location even if it's just for a few drinks.

Doc Love, what do you think? Gil?

Wednesday should be able to work for me, with the one caveat being that could always be a work function I may have to attend instead (this being a business trip and all). That's unlikely, I think, and even if someone did want to go out from work, I should be able to do it one of the other nights I'm there.

Long story short, we're a "go" on my end.

BTW, sorry to hijack this thread for this. It was not my intent.

Wednesday should be able to work for me, with the one caveat being that could always be a work function I may have to attend instead (this being a business trip and all). That's unlikely, I think, and even if someone did want to go out from work, I should be able to do it one of the other nights I'm there.

Long story short, we're a "go" on my end.

BTW, sorry to hijack this thread for this. It was not my intent.

:D It was my thread to begin w/! NP! Ok, I'm good w/ Shaw's Crab House. Shaw's is about 10 mins from O'Hare. Other suggs? I'm open.

http://www.shawscrabhouse.com/schaumburg/index.shtml

We can exchange cell/home #'s via PM.

5PM?? Gil???

I'll wait.......................

Edited by rocknrobn26

It depends on whether Dr. Love has an issue driving to Schaumburg from Buffalo Grove. There's a few places where he'll be that are easy to get to. Old Half Day Inn at 21 and Half Day Rd. comes to mind.

Are we talking the 11th?

Whatever is fine. Yup, the 11th.

I don't mind driving, but I don't like seafood... sorry to be the stick in the mud there.

I like shell fish, but no biggie. Let's let Gil decide, he knows the area. Time??? 5pm? 6pm? I'm open. What's your schedule like? Gil that question is for you also.

Youse guys decide, no diff to me. :D