[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who do you support? Part 2

CaptainHook

Whose postiion do you agree with more?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Whose postiion do you agree with more?

• Steelers management
    • Hines Ward

All the good things he's done in past years are somewhat tarnished by his actions.

927251[/snapback]

I can understand that POV. However, if you put that on one side of the scale and on the other side you put everything he has done for the organization over the past couple years.... I think the scale would still tip in Ward's favor.

There's no doubt that the Steelers need to make him a good offer. He needs to be top ten for sure. I'm just not sure he's the kind of receiver that deserves 21 mills over three years. And everyone forgets that the offer they made Hines Ward wasn't a slap in the face--he would have become the highest paid Steeler ever to date. He wanted more than that. I am a hugh fan of Ward's but I am a bigger fan of the Steeler franchise. The Steelers have been a run first offense forever, so to pay Indy WR money is a little crazy IMO. If the offer they make is fair and he wants more than the problem is his. That's where I am on the issue.

927278[/snapback]

Very well said and I too am a hugh Ward fan. Ward is a great player that I want to stay here in Pittsburgh but as I have said in the past, he is not going to get the kind of money that the top paid WR is getting while here in Pittsburgh. In fact, I hate to think like this but I honestly don't see any team out there that would pay Ward that kind of money. I'm sure some desperate owner would show up but they wouldn't be knocking down the door, IMO.

If a player is under contract, they should report. 

Heck, I want a raise.  Maybe I should not show up to the office for a few weeks and see where that gets me.   :D

927065[/snapback]

NFL contracts mean nothing. They aren't guaranteed, the only thing that is is the signing bonus. Don't think for a second if someone sucks it up the first 3 years of a 7 year deal that the team won't either ask them to take a pay cut or outright cut them. You see all the time teams asking player to restructure their contracts under the threat they will cut them. You think that if Hines came into camp then suffered an injury the team would still work on a top dollar contract? Hell no, they'd say "well, this changes things, there's more risk, blah blah blah".

If you not showing up at the office was likely to cost them a ton of money, get them to realize you actually were worth more, and offfer you more, wouldn't you do it? I would.

I say more power to TO, Hines, etc. Teams won't hesitate to screw them if the going gets rough, they should get their money while the going is good.

In this one I am siding with the player.

Good point about the Steelers promising Ward a new deal. They need to stick to that. If he played last season at below market because he was going to be getting a new deal this year, than he better get one.

Ward's situation is probably very common. Teams backload the deals only to never deliver the goods at the end.