[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

49er Question for Yo Mama

DexterDew

Hey Yo Mama,

I'm looking forward to your WW reports again this year. I really appreciate the effort that goes into it (last year it netted me Burleson!)

Question:

I know you're a 49er fan, how is Barlow looking this year? I saw you mentioned in another thread to dump the rookie from U of Miami, Gore I think., because he has no starting potential. I'm guessing with the way Rattay has looked, is it possible that he may get the start, thus giving Barlow a little more breathing room than if Smith starts from Day 1.

The OL is improved (how could it not be), and I've read that Barlow might have done some growing up in the off-season.

I have Barlow targeted as a RB3, and anytime your RB3 is a starter in a 12 team, that can't be bad (also looking at C Brown if he falls to the 5th).

Thanks

I did recommend dumping Gore in another thread, but only because: (1) the Huddler did not own Barlow; and (2) the Huddler could have added Mike Anderson instead. I like Anderson a lot this year, and said so in my contribution to the Huddle's 'Sleepers and Busts' section on the main page.

But that's not to say Gore is worthless. He did ding up his shoulder a week or so back, so we haven't seen as much of him in practice and preseason as I'd have liked. However, by all accounts, Gore had a great camp. The team likes him. The coaches like him. And he's demonstrated some ability, too.

The problem is that Barlow came to camp with a whole new attitude; this time a good one. And he's worked very hard. The O-line seems to be feeling Barlow, and even his arch nemesis (and blocking FB) Fred Beasley has had good things to say. I'm not saying Barlow is going to "wow" anyone with his upside. But once Baas, Jennings, and (hopefully) Newberry get back on the O-line both the team's QBs and RBs should get some much needed help upfront. I don't expect things to look pretty during preseason, so people targeting Barlow sort of have to bank on things coming together for the Niners' O-line during the early part of the regular season.

My personal FF feelings on Barlow is this: he's undervalued. Again, his upside is limited. But he's a STARTING RB that is consistantly available in the 5th or 6th round of a 12-team draft. How many other guaranteed starters are available that late? He has assumed a greater number of carries EACH year as a pro, and has proven that he is not a major injury risk. Relative to the other players around his ADP (Foster, Bettis, F. Taylor, Bennett, maybe Benson) Barlow is very low-risk. He's not the kind of guy you want to have to rely on as a starter, but he's exactly the kind of guy you love you have on your bench "just in case."

Back to Gore...

Gore is actually a good thing, for the Niners, as well as Barlow owners. Not only will Gore motivate Barlow to work a little harder, but now there is a specific - and more importantly, affordable - handcuff in the Niners' backfield.

Bottom line: Unless you spent early picks scooping up ridiculous value at WR and QB, and have at least one top tier RB, there is no reason anyone should be depending on Barlow as a #2 RB. But as a #3 RB, I think he's great value, especially for someone who is going to swing for the fences with a high-risk, high-reward #1 or #2 RB. It'd certainly be nice to know that you've got a dependable - though unspectacular - guy like Barlow to cover your byes and RB injuries on any give week.

Also note that the Niners have an easier rushing schedule this year.

Truth be told, I recenlty passed on Barlow as a #3 RB at 5.1 in my BOTH league in lieu of Chris Brown. And I don't regret that decision at all. Not only is that too early for Barlow, but I was hunting for upside, not low-risk, dependable, mediocre production.

Regarding the Niners' QB, I don't know what to tell you there. Smith has played like a rookie. And I expect the Niners are going to keep putting him out there until he sees some success. And until the passing game gets some respect, I fully expect to see DEFs stack the box against the run. However, I also expect the passing game to be improved this year, relative to last. The problem is, that's not saying a much. At all.

Edited by yo mama

Thanks for the reply, Yo Mama!

I'm targeting some RB3's and RB'4 who have the upside, and some of them (like Suggs, Henry, Bennent, etc) are weeding themselves out. Barlow and Moore and M Anderson intrigue me. And if I want to pick a Rookie RB it would be Cadillac in TB (i fear that JJ can't pick up the blitz and the only way that Warner/Cardinals succeed is if there is QB protection... it's the same reason I don't like Bell).

Back to the 49ers.... I've got a gut feeling that Rattay will get the start on opening day, and Smith will get phased in, like Manning last year, once they are out of the playoffs. Mathematically, as soon as week 10. If they throw Smith out there on Opening Day, he might not survive (no reference intending for the recent passing). Since the 49ers are a business, I don't think they can put butts in the seats if they don't try to win on day 1. Then if Smith gets hurt, the second half will resemble last year with lots of empty seats.

Now if Rattay starts on opening day (and every team has optimism and a full stadium, regardless of who is starting QB), and gives the team a better chance of winning now, if the 49ers actually win a few games, suddenly, they are 4-4, and people are still going to their games because of the Wild Card, where more than half the teams are still in it.

If the 49ers start 2-6, give or take a game, the pundits will say "put Smith in, the season is lost, might as well see what we get out of the investment", there will be renewed interest in the product on the field and they may sell a few extra tickets. Plus Smith will have 8 weeks of watching and learning the pro game from the sidelines. And we all know that when its the regular season, it is a much different, faster, complicated game (see Ryan Leaf and his preseason vs. regular season year 1).

I guess what I am trying to say is Rattay gives them the best chance to win on opening day, a day where every team is tied for first and has optimism. If they throw Smith out there when he is not ready/prepared, it could make for a very long season and declining interest in the team.

Thanks again, Yo Mama!

1. Barlow and Moore and M Anderson intrigue me. 

2. I've got a gut feeling that Rattay will get the start on opening day, and Smith will get phased in, like Manning last year,  once they are out of the playoffs.  Mathematically, as soon as week 10. 

3. Since the 49ers are a business, I don't think they can put butts in the seats if they don't try to win on day 1.  Then if Smith gets hurt, the second half will resemble last year with lots of empty seats.

4. If the 49ers start 2-6...

5.  Thanks again, Yo Mama!

944013[/snapback]

1. Me too.

2. Maybe. We'll see. The coach has been very noncommittal on that subject.

3. The owner - York - is a business man that doesn't seem to give a rat's ass about the game of football. He isn't a fan and the fans hate him. York is allegedly trying to get a new stadium deal, which will dramatically increase the value of the franchise, after which (from what I hear) he intends to sell the team for a big profit. Dunno how true that is. But for arguments sake, if it is, York doesn't care about selling tickets all that much, or running a long-term business; he cares about making a big money as fast as possible.

4. A 2-6 start is probably a little optimistic, given the Niners only won 2 games all last season. But hey, I'm a "Forty Niner Faithful." So I like your optimism!

5. You're welcome.

Edited by yo mama

****Barlow is a fine #3 RB****

......unless you're in a combination Keeper/RB wh0re league, where he'd make an adequate #2 RB behind Priest...... :D

944302[/snapback]

Please tell me that isn't the case for one of your teams, Gilthorp.

Please tell me that isn't the case for one of your teams, Gilthorp.

944356[/snapback]

Why yes, it is. :D

Having the 20th pick of this draft, here's some players that went ahead of Barlow.

13th Dunn

15th Fred Taylor

19th Chris Brown

and then

22nd Suggs

23rd Larry Johnson

So, I could have used my first pick of the draft, the 20th selection of this year, in the third round to handcuff the Priest...or not. I had Barlow ranked higher than Suggs and Bettis....it is going to be a long year and a complete wash out if and when Priest gets hurt. I guess the handcuff would have been the way to go. :D

Second year of a keeper league that is loaded with bright FF GM's.

How many teams? 20?

And I'd have rolled with Barlow over L. Johnson, too. Yeah, yer left exposed to an injury to Priest. But you simply can't sacrafice a starting RB for a handcuff. Perhaps you can find value at other positions from which to trade for Larry Johnson during the season.

So, who else is in the brain-trust of a leauge? Any Huddlers?

Edited by yo mama

How many teams?  20? 

And I'd have rolled with Barlow over L. Johnson, too.  Yeah, yer left exposed to an injury to Priest.  But you simply can't sacrafice a starting RB for a handcuff.  Perhaps you can find value at other positions from which to trade for Larry Johnson during the season. 

So, who else is in the brain-trust of a leauge?  Any Huddlers?

944517[/snapback]

All Huddlers, bud. Outraged.

12 teams, 3 keepers each took 36 players off the table before the draft. Of these 36 keepers we had 20 RB's that were kept, 6 QB's, and 10 WR's.

So, Barlow was essentially the 31st RB off the board, and LJ was 33rd.

I was very draft light due to one bad trade and a lack of offseason draft swapping, so the "finding value at other positions for trade" is minimal at best. I knew I was going to take a beating for a long time and have to draft smart at the late rounds, hope for some breaks, and if not, just plan for the future. :D

But, back on topic...I think Barlow can have a solid year (I've got him in 2 of 3 leagues so far) and got him at 4.08 as the 27th RB taken in the HAG league...which may be a bit early, but faced with Bell/Bettis/Taylor/Foster as other options, time will tell how bad that pick was.

Edited by gilthorp

Tim Rattay - #13 - Quarterback - 6'0" - 200lbs

Tue Aug 23 2005 - Tim Rattay will be San Francisco's week one starter, according to coach Mike Nolan. It's not a choice Nolan expected to make, but Alex Smith's miserable preseason made it pretty easy. Rattay has value in leagues that use two quarterbacks and could make a fine week one play versus the Rams. Still, Smith should still take over mid-season.

here's the link:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team?statsId=25

Tue Aug 23 2005 - Tim Rattay will be San Francisco's week one starter, according to coach Mike Nolan. It's not a choice Nolan expected to make, but Alex Smith's miserable preseason made it pretty easy. Rattay has value in leagues that use two quarterbacks and could make a fine week one play versus the Rams. Still, Smith should still take over mid-season.

here's the link:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team?statsId=25

944568[/snapback]

darn. That just happened. Like, just happened.

944568[/snapback]

As someone who hasn't been afraid to draft Brandon Lloyd that sure is a :D