[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

@ 10 th overall...How risky is Portis?

TommyMags

Being the 10 pick makes me feel like i'm fighting for scraps. I've always drafted in fantasy with the idea that your RB's take you to the promise land. But why should i continue to conform?

My final league scoring showed that only 8 RB's scored a total of 250 points or more and the total of 16 WR's that scored 250 points and higher.

What does this tell me? In a league where you start any combination of wr and rb totaling 4(eg. 1 rb and 3 wr or vs.versus)

Does this tell me that the wr position is becoming the moneymaker? a fluke or another way to not rely so much on your RB's?

So, at 10th with

1.Manning

2.LT

3.Shaun L

4.J.Jones(believe it or not)

5.McGahee

6.Priest

7.Edge

8.DD

9.Culpepper

10.Portis or another suggestion

11.Moss

12.Harrison

13.Portis or Duece

14.Lewis

15.?

This how the 14 would lay out according to sources.

1 pt per rec

1pt per 10 yards rec or rush

TD 6 pt with lenghts as bonus

As info Portis didn't reach 250 pt, he had 234.

And Jackson 135.

Top 10 with 250 or more:

1Mushim

2.Horn

3.Holt

4.Johnson

5.Walker

6.Bennett

7.Harrison

8.Wayne

9.Clayton

10.D.,Jackson and TO

My draft is Sat morn... :D

Edited by TommyMags

I'd consider Moss.

What about Deuce? or Dillon. Portis actually dropped to your pick in the 2nd in my league. Barber or Green in Rnd 2 would be good options.

Edited by nhoops

I'd take Deuce at #10 as well, and I would be happy with a guy like Portis or Ahman Green at #15...all are decent receiving backs which is important in a PPR league and will help with week to week consistency. Deuce and Ahman are both coming off down years where they were banged up, but both still had over 1300 total yards and just under double digit TDs (Deuce had 9 total and Green 8) in a season in which they each missed at least 1 complete game. They're both healthy now, and a slight rebound from each should net you over 1500 total yards and about a dozen TDs to go along with 40-60 receptions from each. That's very solid, underrated production right there. Portis's TDs were way down last year in Washington...I'm thinking it was a fluke, but since he is in a different system that remains to be seen.

As far as why there were more WRs with higher point totals then RBs last year, that's at least partially a fluke too. There was a very high percentage of teams with quality starting RBs that missed considerable playing time and/or switched backs in season, lowering the year end totals of a great number of RBs.

-Priest Holmes missed 8 games, and Blaylock was the primary RB for a couple of games and then Larry Johnson became the primary

-McGahee missed 1 game and didn't have the starting role to himself for others

-Domanick Davis missed 1 game and was slowed by injury early on

-Ahman Green missed 1 game and was slowed by injury

-Portis missed 1 game and changed teams/systems

-Deuce McAllister missed 2 games and was slowed by injury

-Kevin Jones missed 1 game and was slowed by injury early on

-Julius Jones missed 8 games

-Marshall Faulk and Steven Jackson split carries

-Travis Henry got injured and lost his starting job

-Brian Westbrook missed 3 games

-Denver starting RB went from Quentin Griffin, to Reuben Droughns, to Tatum Bell

-Duce Staley started out great but his TDs kept being vultured by Bettis and then he got hurt and missed 6 games

-Carolina was RBBC, using several primary backs due to injury

-Minnesota used a complete mess of a RBBC

I'm sure there's others (Cleveland) but you get the point. There's always going to be a handful of situations like the above, but last year there weren't too many teams who didn't have some turmoil at RB over the course of the season. I don't advocate taking a RB with questionable value over a WR like say Chad Johnson if he's on the board, but if you can get guys like McAllister, Portis or Green, I say you'll be better off going RB, RB. You can always find a relatively productive WR later on but RBs of equal quality will surely be gone.

Edited by Skrappy1

I would take Duece, J. Lewis, or Kevin Jones over Portis... In fact... If it were me I'd probably take Jones before the other three... but that's a tough one... it's hard to leave Duece on the board.

In any event, I think all three are far better options than Portis.

at 10 I would expect Dillion, Lewis, both Jones, Moss, a whole slew of people to be there. I have Portis ranked 2.6 in my 10 man leagues. I would get any of the above before Portis and since you will be picking shortly thereafter you can grab another quality WR/RB. But as mentioned here already if Deuce is there, that would be a steal.

Edited by mhayhurst

at 10 I would expect Dillion, Lewis, both Jones, Moss, a whole slew of people to be there. I have Portis ranked 2.6 in my 10 man leagues. I would get any of the above before Portis and since you will be picking shortly thereafter you can grab another quality WR/RB. But as mentioned here already if Deuce is there, that would be a steal.

949378[/snapback]

OK

As the oddball here I would snatch  Moss. he is the biggest difference maker there, and Collins throws a much much MUCH better deep ball than Culpepper. I expect a career year from Moss .

950198[/snapback]

I couldn't disagree with you more. Daunte could be the biggest and strongest QB in the league. Maybe C.Palmer is close in size with the arm. I'm not saying that Kerry can't sling the rock, but not like Daunte'. :D

As the oddball here I would snatch  Moss. he is the biggest difference maker there, and Collins throws a much much MUCH better deep ball than Culpepper. I expect a career year from Moss .

950198[/snapback]

Has Moss even caught a ball tonight?

I couldn't disagree with you more. Daunte could be the biggest and strongest QB in the league. Maybe C.Palmer is close in size with the arm. I'm not saying that Kerry can't sling the rock, but not like Daunte'. :D

950263[/snapback]

Oh...Culpepper can throw the ball far,but, he does not throw it accurately. his recievers have to work for the floaters Culpepper throws.you rarely ever see him hit a guy in stride. Collins on the otherhand can hit his recievers in stride.that is Collins strength.