[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bruce

theeohiostate

Many think that if Bruce is out for an extended period of time, that Curits is the natural #2 replacement, but he's a slot WR and McDonald is better suited as a viabble #2 role.

Any thoughts on this? The Rams run so many 3 WR sets, it seems stupid if they take Curtis from his normal role and move him out wide.

Edited by theeohiostate

FWIW, when Bruce went out of the game last weekend, the number of targets from Bulger to Curtis rose correspondingly. Curtis also got that red zone look which he converted. I think Bulger is pretty confident / comfortable with Curtis.

My .02 anyway.

Regarding Bruce and Jackson from the Rams website:

Bruce Doubtful for Sunday

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

By Nick Wagoner

Senior Writer

It’s a sight that no coach would like to see, but as receiver Isaac Bruce and running back Steven Jackson stood on the sidelines watching practice Wednesday afternoon, Mike Martz could take a little bit of solace in the fact that it isn’t Sunday.

Bruce is listed as doubtful and Jackson is questionable for Sunday’s game against the Giants. Jackson suffered a chest injury late in the second quarter of last week’s game against the Titans and Bruce followed by suffering a toe injury minutes later.

The injury to Jackson didn’t appear to be as severe as the one to Bruce, for Jackson returned to the game while Bruce did not. Simply because Bruce knows his body better than anyone and is a veteran, he will be given every chance to finds his way on to the field in New York.

“It’s kind of how he feels,” Martz said. “The capsule was not torn. There was nothing torn, just swollen. We’ll just see where he is. Now Isaac could line up on Sunday and play without…it’s just where he is. We’re not going to worry about it right now.”

In other words, Bruce doesn’t necessarily need the three practices this week to get ready for a game and thus his judgment will be trusted by the coaches when Sunday rolls around.

“If it wasn’t Isaac, then you have to really watch him and rep him,” Martz said. “If Isaac’s ready to go, he’ll be ready to go, but I’ll talk to him everyday and see how he is.”

If Bruce is unable to play, Kevin Curtis will take his spot in the starting lineup with Shaun McDonald moving up to the slot as the third receiver. Curtis is well aware of the situation, but he doesn’t want anyone to think that he is trying to replace Bruce, just fill in during the interim.

“I’m not trying to be Isaac,” Curtis said. “Those are some huge shoes to fill. I know I’m not Isaac. I go out and do my job. Basically I have a job and I try to do it. I can’t try to perhaps be Isaac when I’m out there and do it as he would do it, because that’s Isaac Bruce. I’m just going to my best and do my job.”

If Curtis does the job of filling in for Bruce as well as he did last season, the Rams won’t miss much of a beat against the Giants. Curtis filled in when Bruce was out because of a groin injury during the playoffs and had his best game as a pro.

Curtis has seven catches for 128 yards and a touchdown in that game, giving him the confidence to know that he can compete as a starter in the NFL.

“It helps me a lot,” Curtis said. “Last year toward the end of the year when Isaac was banged up, I knew I was going to come in and play. I knew that I could play and to go in and do some things last year and do a good job gave me confidence that I could do it. I know I can do it, I just have to trust in that and go out and play ball.”

As for Jackson, his outlook for this week appears even more uncertain. He didn’t do much of anything during Wednesday’s practice aside from some running on the side. To that end, it appears that Marshall Faulk is going to handle the starting duties this weekend.

Martz didn’t have much to say about Jackson’s injury other than that the Rams will take a wait and see approach.

“We’ll just have to see where they are tomorrow,” Martz said.

Looks like a game-time decisioin for Bruce, but I don't think he will have a big impact on this weekends game. Hopefully Curtis will get 6 catches and a TD :D