[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Matt Mauck to Start in Place of McNair?

spain

The Tennessean is reporting this morning that Matt Mauck will PROBABLY start in place of Steve McNair against the Jags.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../512300400/1027

Titans to start Mauck in finale

Would be first in NFL for No. 3 QB

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

Before practice yesterday, Titans quarterbacks Billy Volek and Matt Mauck took the field to play one of their favorite games — punt golf.

Their feet serve as clubs, footballs as golf balls and trashcans as pins.

Heading into Sunday's season finale at Jacksonville, the Titans are preparing to let Mauck play through.

The No. 3 quarterback will get his first NFL start against the Jaguars, barring an unexpected quick recovery by starter Steve McNair.

Mauck worked with the first-team offense for the second day in a row as McNair, still sore with a strained pectoral muscle he suffered last Saturday against the Dolphins, looked on wearing a sweat suit.

Mauck and Volek, who has been McNair's primary back-up since 2003, have been told Mauck will start if McNair is unable to play.

Coach Jeff Fisher said Mauck has shown steady improvement this week.

"The tempo's been great. He's shaved about eight minutes off both practices the last two days. He's in and out of the huddle. He knows what to do,'' Fisher said. "So we've just got to wait on Steve and see what happens.''

Fisher said there's a chance McNair will throw today. If McNair doesn't throw today, Fisher said he thinks "it will be hard" for the veteran to play.

McNair said he wants to try to work through his soreness, but few with the Titans expect him to play.

"I started this ship and if I can go out there and play I want to finish it," McNair said.

"I always say I am a very competitive guy," McNair said. "I want to go out there regardless of our record, and if my body will let me play I'll go out there and play.''

McNair said Mauck "is well-prepared. He'll be ready."

Volek, who started eight games in relief of McNair last season, has started once and played in five games this season. Yesterday he worked the scout team for the second day in a row. He said he is disappointed but understands the team's decision.

"They know what I can do and they know what I am capable of,'' Volek said. "I really don't have any choice of what they are doing upstairs.''

Mauck has played in one game this season — Oct. 13 at Arizona, when he went 8-of-13 for 71 yards.

Offensive coordinator Norm Chow is among those excited about seeing more of Mauck, who was signed to the practice squad Sept. 6 and added to the 53-man roster Sept. 28 when the Jets tried to sign him.

"He hasn't played much, but he has certainly handled himself well the two days of practice,'' Chow said. "He's a guy that studies and works at it. He's passionate and he cares about what he is doing. ... He is spunky, and I like that.''

Mauck said not many family members and friends will be able to make the trip to Jacksonville due to the holiday weekend, but he will have a few supporters in the stands when the Titans (4-11) try to topple the playoff-bound Jaguars (11-4).

For now he's more worried about Jacksonville's defense.

"Their front seven is very talented and they put a lot of pressure on the quarterback. But I am really confident in our O-line,'' Mauck said. "Jacksonville all year long has been a good defense. They don't do anything crazy, they are just really sound in what they do. We'll have to play well.''

I wonder if they are getting ready to trade Volek? They would need to see what they have in Mauk then wouldn't they? Why not throw him to the wolves and evaluate him in a real game situation?

I dunno, this is the only thing that makes sense to me...

S.T.

Edited by Super Twinky

What the hell does this say about Volek for next year?  Is he injured at all right now?

1241716[/snapback]

I wonder if they are getting ready to trade Volek?  They would need to see what they have in Mauk then wouldn't they?  Why not throw him to the wolves and evaluate him in a real game situation? 

I dunno, this is the only thing that makes sense to me...

S.T.

1241731[/snapback]

The official party line from Titans camp is that they know what McNair and Volek can do, and they want to evaluate Mauck. It makes sense since they need to see if he can play. McNair may or may not be back. Volek may or may not be the starter next year or could be traded although thats unlikely. The Titans could draft a Matt Leinart, Vince Young, or Jay Cutler too. But they need to get a look at Mauck in a real game.

The official party line from Titans camp is that they know what McNair and Volek can do, and they want to evaluate Mauck.  It makes sense since they need to see if he can play.  McNair may or may not be back.  Volek may or may not be the starter next year or could be traded although thats unlikely.  The Titans could draft a Matt Leinart, Vince Young, or Jay Cutler too.  But they need to get a look at Mauck in a real game.

1241741[/snapback]

I agree with this. I think Volek will be the starter next year if McNair retires. I think they want to see if Mauck is a bonafide #2.

McNair or Voleck will be gone- the question is, which one?

McNair is due a huge bonus, but the deal needs to be reworked.

Voleck's agent wants starters pay.

Titan's can only keep one.

Titans are pretty high on Mauck, they want to see him in action in a regular season game.

Excpect Titans to keep McNair or Voleck, release the other, and sign a veteran backup as their #2 for next year, keeping Mauck as the #3 in training.

The official party line from Titans camp is that they know what McNair and Volek can do, and they want to evaluate Mauck.  It makes sense since they need to see if he can play.  McNair may or may not be back.  Volek may or may not be the starter next year or could be traded although thats unlikely.  The Titans could draft a Matt Leinart, Vince Young, or Jay Cutler too.  But they need to get a look at Mauck in a real game.

1241741[/snapback]

They'd be smart to draft that kid.

McNair or Voleck will be gone- the question is, which one?

McNair is due a huge bonus, but the deal needs to be reworked.

Voleck's agent wants starters pay.

Titan's can only keep one.

1242671[/snapback]

I hear people say this, but I dont necessarily agree with this logic. Sure, McNair has a $50M roster bonus due. obviously, they wont be able to pay that and will have to re-work a deal for McNair. That is a very good possibility, as long as McNair wants to continue playing for a team that is a few years away from being a contender. I believe that he will play for another year of two, but that is only a guess.

Volek signed a 5 year contract a couple years ago. He is represented by Drew Rosenturd who came to Nashville during camp this year. He told the local media and anyone who would listen that if Volek wasnt named the starter then he wanted to be traded. Titans GM Floyd Reese refused to even meet with Rosenturd, but simply said that Volek was under contract and they were not going to trade him. Rosenturd then quietly slinked out of town.

Mauck was picked up off waivers and placed on the Titans practice squad. Sometime during the season the NY Jets attempted to sign Mauck who was then promoted to the roster. The Titans like Mauck but really dont know what they have in him. They need to see what he has so they can more clearly define their options after the season.

I think the Titans will draft a QB. I mentioned Jay Cutler who played locally here at Vanderbilt. He was SEC player of the year on team with a losing record! :D How often do you see that? I would love to see them get Cutler who is one of those guys with a great feel for the game and who makes everyone else around him better.

Really, everything hinges on what McNair decides to do in my opinion. If he retires, then the job is Voleks for a year of two while the team grooms Mauck and whomever they draft. If McNair re-signs then, Volek will remain the backup and the Titans will keep him, unless Mauck shows great promise. Then they will shop Volek, trading him only if they get great value. Jets OC Mike heimerdinger loves Volek and they might pony up a big offer. But if not, Reese wont give Volek away. Stay tuned!

They'd be smart to draft that kid.

1242690[/snapback]

Although I am not a Vandy fan even though they are here in Nashville, I saw Jay Cutler play several games last year and this year. He was unbelievable. You have to understand that Vanderbilt is in the SEC and just cant get the talent there to compete. But Cutler carried this team on his back. And he was the only SEC caliber player on the team, so everyone loaded up to stop him. He is a talent. He sees the field very well. He is strong and athletic and just has that knack to make the right play. Matt Leinart and Vince Young will get all the publicity and they should. But they have studs at every position on their team. Cutler had players that nobody else in D1 wanted and he made every game exciting. They even beat my beloved Vols this year, and the difference in talent between UT and Vandy is ridiculous. I will be interested to see how high Cutler is drafted.

McNair hopes he will be back

'Very confident that we can work things out'

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

Today the Titans return to the scene of one of their proudest moments, where they hoisted the AFC Championship trophy, and where Steve McNair was at his best.

On Jan. 23, 2000, McNair threw for a touchdown and ran for two more as the Titans beat the Jaguars to advance to Super Bowl XXXIV. His 51-yard run was vintage McNair.

Today, on the same field, an ugly season will come to an end for the Titans. Will it also be the end of McNair's days with the franchise?

That's something the veteran quarterback, who isn't expected to play today because of a strained pectoral muscle, will probably ponder himself.

"I hope it's not, and I am very confident that we can work things out,'' McNair said. "But you never know what is going to happen. I am always positive. I am always hoping for the best but bracing for the worst. ... I don't have any doubt they want me back. But will the numbers match up?''

This time last season McNair was entertaining thoughts of retirement. Eventually those thoughts evaporated, and he returned for his 11th season.

According to McNair, 32, retirement is no longer an issue. He wants to keep playing.

But with a well-documented $50 million option bonus in his contract, and coming off a less-than-stellar year for a 4-11 team, the questions aren't as much about his desire to play as they are about whether or not the Titans should bring him back, or if they even want to bring him back.

This time the answers aren't unanimous, or beyond questioning.

If the team decides yes, the questions become for how long and for how much. For now, however, opinions seem to outnumber the questions.

"I've seen enough of Steve McNair to say he's still capable of doing it," said CBS NFL analyst Phil Simms, who quarterbacked the Giants to victory in Super Bowl XXI. "And you also have to consider, if it's not him, who's going to be a better option for the Titans right now? I think it's in everyone's best interest to get it worked out."

"People are always talking about the quarterback of the future. Well, the NFL has no future. The NFL is about next year, and if it's not Steve McNair, is there somebody out there that can give them a better chance to win next year? I don't think so.''

The contract

McNair and the Oilers/Titans have renegotiated his contract several times since he was their first-round pick in 1995. When the deal was re-worked last March to help the Titans with their salary cap problems, McNair's agent Bus Cook asked that the hefty option be included.

It was designed to force the Titans into a decision after the season — re-sign McNair to a long-term deal or release him.

By exercising the option, the Titans would extend the contract an additional three years, through 2009. Neither side expects that to happen, however, because it would ruin the team's salary cap for years. In 2006, for instance, McNair would count $26.8 million against the cap.

"We have to get some things resolved,'' Cook said. "I'm sure the Titans want to keep Steve, and I'm sure they will. Steve wants to stay, and we want to keep him in Tennessee.''

There is another possibility if the Titans want to delay the decision and avoid locking up McNair to a long-term deal. They could pay him a non-exercise fee of $1 million, which would be added to his base salary of $9 million for 2006. The $50 million bonus would be wiped off the books, but his cap hit would still be a tough-to-handle $14.3 million. And he'd become a free agent at the end of next season.

"Generally the impression I am getting is everybody is talking something like three or four years,'' Titans General Manager Floyd Reese said. "They are not saying, 'If you are not giving me a 10-year contract, I am not going to play.' ... I don't know if they would be real excited about a one-year deal, but we have not gotten that far.''

McNair said he'd be "OK'' with a one-year deal, "but you always want something long-term.''

"Of course Steve McNair is not going to get paid like Tom Brady and Michael Vick, but so what?'' Simms said. "But he should get his, and it shouldn't crush the football team.''

Man for the job?

McNair has passed for 3,161 yards this season with a completion percentage of 61.3. Those numbers are just below the best seasons of his career, when he played in more games. He's 226 yards shy of his career high in passing yards (3,387 in 2002).

But McNair's touchdown numbers are way down compared to those years, as are his yards per attempt and quarterback rating. The offense has been inconsistent all season.

McNair's supporters point to the Dec. 18 game against Seattle as proof he can still get it done — he threw for 310 yards and two touchdowns against the NFC's best team — but that kind of performance was rare this season.

On a young team, however, the supporting cast hasn't always been helpful. McNair also lost his favorite wide receiver, Derrick Mason, in the offseason purge and the Titans brought in a new offensive coordinator, Norm Chow.

"You have to consider he came into a new system, having to execute new plays, and getting a feel for new guys. He lost his go-to guy with Derrick," veteran tight end Erron Kinney said. "Over the years since I've been here, he's lost a lot of the guys he's gotten used to, the guys he's built his career on.

"He's still got it. I think without question he has something left. I think after having a better feel for this offense, things are only going to get better next year.''

Reese said he considers McNair one of the top 15 quarterbacks in the NFL and doesn't like the thought of starting over at the position with a youngster.

"I still think he is in the upper third. I would still put Steve somewhere around 10, 11 or 12 group,'' said ESPN NFL analyst Joe Theismann, who quarterbacked the Redskins to victory in Super Bowl XVII. "But I would probably put him in the lower third because of health. You put him in the top half because of experience, the things that he has accomplished and the ability you believe he has. But then there's that health issue that has to be addressed.

"Physically, he doesn't look any worse than a Brad Johnson or a Drew Bledsoe or some of the other guys in their mid-30s. I think he can still get the job done, but what they'd have to do is get some playmakers around him.''

Pressing his luck

McNair missed the Oct. 23 game at Arizona because of a sore back. He also battled shin and ankle injuries before straining his pectoral muscle last weekend at Miami.

But he hasn't suffered any injuries like the one that required surgery on his sternum last season, which prompted the retirement thoughts.

"Last year was a troubling season for me injury-wise, but when you play the game you are going to have nicks and bruises,'' McNair said. "This year has been OK as far as no major injuries. There is no problem with going out there wondering if I am going to retire or not. I will play (next year).''

Fox Sports Net NFL analyst Tim Brown, a Heisman Trophy winner who played 17 seasons in the NFL, wonders if that's a good idea.

McNair has missed only one game so far this season, but he regularly missed practices while nursing injuries. The inability to practice consistently and build chemistry with the young receiving corps has become a concern for the Titans.

"My thing with Steve is, how many licks can he take? When is going to be the lick that has him at 50 years old thinking about it every morning he wakes up?'' Brown said. "I don't think it is a matter of whether or not he has the talent to play the game …

"Injuries have changed the way he plays. He's not the same Steve McNair he was. I just think if you look at him and you look at his situation — he's beat up and hurt so much — why keep playing? We'd all like to play football until we're 80. But if he is not feeling good 10 years from now, it's not going to matter how much money he has in the bank. That's something to consider.''

Other options

Titans coaches believe Matt Mauck, the No. 3 quarterback who will start today against the Jaguars, has the potential to be a backup.

There are differing opinions as to whether the current backup, Billy Volek, in his sixth season with the Titans, is ready to be a full-time NFL starter. His injury history and high sack count are concerns.

Whether McNair is back or not, there's a chance the Titans will trade Volek. Among the other possibilities is trading for an experienced quarterback.

Chargers backup Philip Rivers is one possibility. His connection to Chow from their time together at N.C. State has made him a popular name among fans.

And there's always the draft, where Southern Cal's Matt Leinart and Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler will be available, and possibly Texas quarterback Vince Young. The Titans will pick somewhere between second and 11th, depending on the outcomes of today's games.

Theismann said when Reese and Coach Jeff Fisher look at their team, "they have to say to themselves, 'All right, if we make a commitment to Steve, what is our next option?'

"To me, the question for the Tennessee Titans isn't Steve McNair, it's the next person. Who is going to be the other guy? Do they believe in Billy? Do they believe they have to go find somebody? Do you draft someone? Do you trade for a Philip Rivers? They have some tough decisions to make that's for sure.''

As the Titans enter today's season finale, questions are already being asked about Steve McNair's future with the team. (FILE PHOTO)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim Wyatt can be reached at jwyatt@tennessean.com or 615-259-8015.